Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Gamehawking

Old 23-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Terry
Passage

Default Flicker Male parent Peregrine x Prairie Falcon

Hello All

Just thought that I would start a thread on my young falcon.

The aim was to make a hedgerow falcon for Magpies and BB's.

Iv'e had him from 9 weeks old and got him on 18th July from the breeder.

He weighed 1 4 3/4 empty and hooded the day after I got him with no bell.

He was very wild and hard to man for the first few days - screaming and biting me me when un hooded.

Once he began feeding he came around quite nicely and would sit bare headed in the garden and jump to me for food on the pick up.

By about day 7 seven he was jumping well and I showed him the lure - with no wings.

Day 12 or so he was let free and he flew about 300 yards to a tree got mobbed by crows and came back to be fed up. He was 1lb 2 3/4 oz on this day.

I have spent a lot of time with him by now to man him the best I could.

I am new to longwings but have been flying shortwings for 25 years.

I let him off each day to let him circle me once or twice and gave him the lure for a full feed up after this every time.

After a fortnight of this I began to throw him a Pigeon (dead) each night but he would not stoop at them at all.

Sometimes he would go off quite far on little sorties of his own but always come back without landing - still at the same 1 lb 2 3\4 oz.

After throwing him about six pigeons (dead) - one each night - he still would not stoop at them so I gave him a magpie (dead) on the block which he attacked and ate. This was the first thing with feathers on that he showed interested in. Week 3 now.

He then had six magpies (dead) thrown for him - one each night - of which he snagged two.

By now he was probably waiting on at about 150ft and would follow me walking the stubble for a few hundred yards.

I threw him about another ten pigeons (dead) sometimes two in a the same session over the next week - he never caught one.

After every flight he was called in and fed fully on the lure.

By now he really is quite tame and a pleasant little fellow to handle.

I began to put him up and walk the stubble to flush larks for him to stoop at - sometimes three or four stoops b4 I gave him the lure - he never caught one but was getting fit now and going higher 200 - 300 ft if the conditions were right for him. I flew him every day no matter how windy or rain.

On the 15th Aug I accidentally flushed a wild Red Leg whilst walking the rough and he knocked it down and then caught it after a short chase - I fed him up on this. He was about 100 - 150 ft at the time and had already been on the wing for 3 - 4 minutes b4 - he had chased a few larks and a hare first. We had quite a few chases at hares, larks. pippits during these training days. Once he bound to a young Pheasant cock that I flushed but he lost it. On another day we had quite few stoops at a Maggie that he lost.

I then took him to Scotland on the moors for ten days starting 26th August. He killed a young Blackcock on the first day and an adult Red Grouse on the second day. Both of these birds were from quite low pitches and I think that lady luck was with me. For the rest of the holiday he made some really good pitches and was served most days - he hit a few other Grouse and was generally trying really hard and flying nice. Still 1lb 2 3/4 / 1lb 3oz - but with hind sight this is probably a bit to high for him.

By the end of the holiday he was really quite fit and a bit independent / over weight although still the same 1lb 2 3/4oz

Coming home on the 7th Sept I tried any way that I could to get flights for him. On the 2nd day home I put him up over a salting duck pond but there was no ducks at home - I flushed a moorhen that he stooped at - the moorhen had landed on the sea wall before he finished stooping and he landed in the grass next to it - it got up to fly back to the pond and he caught it after about 20ft so I fed him up on that.

Now he is waiting on really nice - varying pitches from 300 - 500 ft. tight though as if he knows the game.

Then come some slips I balls up not really knowing what I am doing.

Pheasants on stubble that do not sit when I let him off, or R L Partridges that run when the hawk is released.

One when I was calling back from a failed R L P slip where they ran and as he coming back to me swinging the lure literally 50ft from me and the dog flushed a large young hen Pheasant that he tail chases it away and I find him eating 300 yards away. Big bird though for my tiny hawk.

And some slips that go well to - a lone Mallard on a ditch when he makes 500ft and hits it nice but doesn't stop it.

Last Monday a flight on a duck pond when he 800ft - and loads of Mallard and a single Teal go - but he stoops the Mallards, gets a bit confused changing targets and it all goes wrong.

An adult hen Pheasant from few hundred foot that he kills after going check and coming back to me and the pointer for me to flush for a nice bind.

Another Pheasant poult that he kills from waiting on at 400 - 500ft with me and the dog ratting the hedgelines for ages for him. Sometimes now he is waiting ten minutes for me to try and flush for him.

To be honest its all a bit messy but we are having a go and its great fun.

Today was one of our good days.

It was dusk and I put him up over a salt marsh pond.

He went about 300 ft then stooped at something over the sea wall on the marsh - he came straight back over now 500 - 600ft and I walked to the pond and clapped the ducks off. There was about 15-20 Mallards and behind them two Teal. He ignored the Mallards and hit the front Teal lovely whack send it cartwheeling in the air. A nice loop over and our first duck was bagged.

So we have had a Redleg, two Grouse, a Moorhen, 3 Pheasants ( 2 were Poults) and the Teal tonight.

Having great fun so far.

I will keep posting of any highs or lows throughout the season.

Happy Hawking

Terry
Old 24-09-2011, 03:12 AM
Gerry Plant
Passage

Default Re: Flicker Male PR Pere x Prairie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
Hello All

Just thought that I would start a thread on my young falcon.

The aim was to make a hedgerow falcon for Magpies and BB's.

Iv'e had him from 9 weeks old and got him on 18th July from the breeder.

He weighed 1 4 3/4 empty and hooded the day after I got him with no bell.

He was very wild and hard to man for the first few days - screaming and biting me me when un hooded.

Once he began feeding he came around quite nicely and would sit bare headed in the garden and jump to me for food on the pick up.

By about day 7 seven he was jumping well and I showed him the lure - with no wings.

Day 12 or so he was let free and he flew about 300 yards to a tree got mobbed by crows and came back to be fed up. He was 1lb 2 3/4 oz on this day.

I have spent a lot of time with him by now to man him the best I could.

I am new to longwings but have been flying shortwings for 25 years.

I let him off each day to let him circle me once or twice and gave him the lure for a full feed up after this every time.

After a fortnight of this I began to throw him a Pigeon (dead) each night but he would not stoop at them at all.

Sometimes he would go off quite far on little sorties of his own but always come back without landing - still at the same 1 lb 2 3\4 oz.

After throwing him about six pigeons (dead) - one each night - he still would not stoop at them so I gave him a magpie (dead) on the block which he attacked and ate. This was the first thing with feathers on that he showed interested in. Week 3 now.

He then had six magpies (dead) thrown for him - one each night - of which he snagged two.

By now he was probably waiting on at about 150ft and would follow me walking the stubble for a few hundred yards.

I threw him about another ten pigeons (dead) sometimes two in a the same session over the next week - he never caught one.

After every flight he was called in and fed fully on the lure.

By now he really is quite tame and a pleasant little fellow to handle.

I began to put him up and walk the stubble to flush larks for him to stoop at - sometimes three or four stoops b4 I gave him the lure - he never caught one but was getting fit now and going higher 200 - 300 ft if the conditions were right for him. I flew him every day no matter how windy or rain.

On the 15th Aug I accidentally flushed a wild Red Leg whilst walking the rough and he knocked it down and then caught it after a short chase - I fed him up on this. He was about 100 - 150 ft at the time and had already been on the wing for 3 - 4 minutes b4 - he had chased a few larks and a hare first. We had quite a few chases at hares, larks. pippits during these training days. Once he bound to a young Pheasant cock that I flushed but he lost it. On another day we had quite few stoops at a Maggie that he lost.

I then took him to Scotland on the moors for ten days starting 26th August. He killed a young Blackcock on the first day and an adult Red Grouse on the second day. Both of these birds were from quite low pitches and I think that lady luck was with me. For the rest of the holiday he made some really good pitches and was served most days - he hit a few other Grouse and was generally trying really hard and flying nice. Still 1lb 2 3/4 / 1lb 3oz - but with hind sight this is probably a bit to high for him.

By the end of the holiday he was really quite fit and a bit independent / over weight although still the same 1lb 2 3/4oz

Coming home on the 7th Sept I tried any way that I could to get flights for him. On the 2nd day home I put him up over a salting duck pond but there was no ducks at home - I flushed a moorhen that he stooped at - the moorhen had landed on the sea wall before he finished stooping and he landed in the grass next to it - it got up to fly back to the pond and he caught it after about 20ft so I fed him up on that.

Now he is waiting on really nice - varying pitches from 300 - 500 ft. tight though as if he knows the game.

Then come some slips I balls up not really knowing what I am doing.

Pheasants on stubble that do not sit when I let him off, or R L Partridges that run when the hawk is released.

One when I was calling back from a failed R L P slip where they ran and as he coming back to me swinging the lure literally 50ft from me and the dog flushed a large young hen Pheasant that he tail chases it away and I find him eating 300 yards away. Big bird though for my tiny hawk.

And some slips that go well to - a lone Mallard on a ditch when he makes 500ft and hits it nice but doesn't stop it.

Last Monday a flight on a duck pond when he 800ft - and loads of Mallard and a single Teal go - but he stoops the Mallards, gets a bit confused changing targets and it all goes wrong.

An adult hen Pheasant from few hundred foot that he kills after going check and coming back to me and the pointer for me to flush for a nice bind.

Another Pheasant poult that he kills from waiting on at 400 - 500ft with me and the dog ratting the hedgelines for ages for him. Sometimes now he is waiting ten minutes for me to try and flush for him.

To be honest its all a bit messy but we are having a go and its great fun.

Today was one of our good days.

It was dusk and I put him up over a salt marsh pond.

He went about 300 ft then stooped at something over the sea wall on the marsh - he came straight back over now 500 - 600ft and I walked to the pond and clapped the ducks off. There was about 15-20 Mallards and behind them two Teal. He ignored the Mallards and hit the front Teal lovely whack send it cartwheeling in the air. A nice loop over and our first duck was bagged.

So we have had a Redleg, two Grouse, a Moorhen, 3 Pheasants ( 2 were Poults) and the Teal tonight.

Having great fun so far.

I will keep posting of any highs or lows throughout the season.

Happy Hawking

Terry

Great stuff Terry - this hybrid is a cracking combination and it sounds as if you've made a grand job of your first gamehawk - very well done indeed!

Gerry x
Old 24-09-2011, 03:50 AM
Ken
Brancher

I always
Old 24-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Kerry Barrett
Passage

Hi, Sounds like you are having fun. The one i had some years back flew at the same weight as your,s, Hard work at first to get him going, But he turned out a great little falcon on partridge. atb, Kerry
Old 25-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Terry
Passage

Hello All

Just an update on Flicker.

1. 2 1/2 oz exact at 5.45 pm

No flying yesterday as he was overweight from the day b4 when he had the Teal.

Left it til late again and took him to the same pond as Friday. Probably not a good idea but its difficult to find flights and this is very close to home.

Waited in the field by the pond for a while listening for the quacking but couldn't hear anything. So I crept closer to try and spy with the binoculars - after watching for a few minutes I am sure that I saw a cock Tuftey fly along the pond and land again.

The wind was a strong cross wind but you have no choice here but to fly in the same direction as you approach as you have the salt marsh to the over side.

So off with the hood and he instantly flies something into the wind that I cannot see but he comes back after a minute of so and goes off over the sea/marsh getting higher all the time. Now really high over marsh but 500 yards away down wind of me - so I give him a little twirl of the lure - I know that you shouldn't but that brings him over me nice - my friend says he 800 - 1000 ft. I don't know how high he was - but it was really high - enough to scare me !

So I walk the last fifty yard to the pond and clap - and nothing !

A Moorhen lifted went across the pond and landed in the reeds and soon after the Falcon lands on the reeds at this spot.

I hadn't even looked up to see what the Falcon was doing but must have started stooping as soon as the hen lifted. It must have landed well b4 he was even half way down.

Gutted that I never served him properly 2nite - just hope that he thinks the hen was a serve for him.

Not sure what happened really with the Tufty that I saw - perhaps it was a
Moorhen but I am sure I saw white in its wings as it crossed the pond. Perhaps it dived and wouldn't flush - Not sure really as I don't know how they behave with a Falcon over head.

Can anyone tell me if you would be able to hear Teal quacking on a pond if you wait ? I would like to know if they quack like Mallards if you wait and listen - same question for other species like Widgeon ?

Don't know where to go tomorrow with him. Its really hard to get slips.

I'm probably messing him up slowly.

Regards

Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugezWolf View Post
Great stuff Terry - this hybrid is a cracking combination and it sounds as if you've made a grand job of your first gamehawk - very well done indeed!

Gerry x
Thanks mate.

I'm trying my best - but Its really difficult to get good slips so I find myself chancing most of the time.

Shame really cos he's flying lovely.

Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyr View Post
Hi, Sounds like you are having fun. The one i had some years back flew at the same weight as your,s, Hard work at first to get him going, But he turned out a great little falcon on partridge. atb, Kerry
Thanks Kerry
Old 26-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Terry
Passage

Hello All

Couldn't find a flight for him tonight so I fed him.

I was looking for Teal but its early yet so they are thin on the ground - I went to some old haunts but they were still dry.

Glad I checked them out though ready for next time.

Misses has just helped me put up some photo's from my phone.

Here they are :

Regards Terry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Terrys Photos 2011 094.jpg (101.7 KB, 3978 views)
File Type: jpg Terrys Photos 2011 088.jpg (95.7 KB, 3974 views)
File Type: jpg Terrys Photos 2011 108.jpg (94.6 KB, 3951 views)
File Type: jpg Terrys Photos 2011 107.jpg (92.4 KB, 3957 views)
File Type: jpg Terrys Photos 2011 119.jpg (93.3 KB, 3957 views)
Old 28-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Terry
Passage

Didn't fly him today.

Yesterday I searched for hours to try and find a slip at Teal but couldn't.

I got desperate in the end and put him up over a hen that I saw on the stubble - it squatted 80 yards away as I got out of the car - then busted as the falcon did his first circle - he chased it to the far hedge.

He came back and mounted about 800ft whilst friutlessley beat another near by hedge line desperately hoping to flush anything.

I beat for 3 - 4 minutes but was worried that he might check so I called him to the lure and fed him.

What a shame that I didn't serve him.

Its really hard to get proper set ups but I hoping it will be a bit easier when the small ducks come in a few weeks time.

Will be out again tomorrow.

Regards

Terry
Old 29-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Terry
Passage

Hello

Out late - thought that he needs a proper flush after the last few mess ups.

Put him up over the Partridge pen - let him off 150yards from it - they are English and have been out for a few weeks - they have been flown a few times already but never by me - he has never flown a pen b4.

He mounted then checked over the river but came straight back at 4-500ft - he was dead over me when I flushed them 3 birds - vertical stoop and they jinked him easy - he looped and tried to chase but was beaten.

He re mounted - higher now and I threw him a RLeg (dead) he had this with a nice bind - I fed him up.

Back to the duck pond tomorrow now its had a rest for a few days - lets hope that there's some Teal at home. Tide will be in when I fly it tomorrow evening.

He's waiting on so tight - actually hovering above me at times.

1lb 2 1/4 2nite - much tighter but I think it may have lowered his pitch a little - although it might be cos I flew him late and there was no wind.

Great fun.

Terry
Old 30-09-2011, 03:07 PM
Brancher

He looks good doesnt he ! i know your pleased with him ,regards,chris
Old 30-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Terry
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post
he looks good doesnt he ! i know your pleased with him ,regards,chris
Hello Chris

He's great fun - well done for breeding him.

Had another good night.

I'll post the details next.

Regards

Terry