Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Gamehawking

Old 11-10-2017, 08:03 PM
Brancher

Default Re: Flicker Male parent Peregrine x Prairie Falcon

I hope you keep up the reports terry! I might try & get over before Christmas, I'll have a chat with you about it Atb
Old 12-10-2017, 09:43 PM
Terry
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
I hope you keep up the reports terry! I might try & get over before Christmas, I'll have a chat with you about it Atb
Hello Brynn

Yes it would be nice to see you.

I'll arrange a full days hunting for you.

Falconry and bushing or lamping with the lurchers. If we plan it right I can show you my mates birds flying too. Goshawk or a Perlin. (That's you Mav)

Let me know when and get it planned ready.

Your mothers is only about 50 miles away.

You are very welcome.

Regards Terry
Old 12-10-2017, 10:10 PM
Terry
Passage

Hello

I must try and keep up with the thread....

Tuesday was a terrible drive after work to get home and collect the 'awk.

The drive was 1 1/2 hours and I got to my friends farm at about 5.30pm. He was kindly waiting for me and I had the choice of flying released Greys or the reservoir. The reservoir has twenty call birds on it and had seen some Mallards go to it a few hours before but also some leave it. Its impossible to spot first because of the call birds. I chose the duck flight. Flicks was abit over weight but the howling wind had dropped off and it was blue sky. I released him a 100 yards from the pond. He went off climbing nicely and flying strong. But mounting wide and looking for check I fear. I left him for five minutes until I lost my bottle. He was very high but 300-400 yards away and over a tree lined road and swung the lure which brought him over now very focused but lower in pitch.
We walked the last 100yrd to the pond and he was waiting well positioned for the flush. Four of us ran up the bank lobbing rocks but ducks went. The released birds went flapping up to one end but he ignored them. My flushers walked along towards them throwing some more bombs and the took to flight but very poorly. One fat lone drake left the pond on plonked himself down after about 15ft on the grass bank. Flick couldn't resist this and stooped at the standing duck giving it a whack and it flapped and plopped back in the water. I glad he never got it. I called him in and fed him. We threw some more stones as a test and four did get air borne albeit rather clumsily and done a few circles round the pond before coming back onto the water. They are not really a viable quarry...lol.

Yesterday it was too windy to fly and Hags got back too late with the little boy one from Beaver Scouts for me to try anyway. I had flicker already in the van waiting. But I didn't moan about it. Well not much....What with it being very windy anyway... Lol
Old 12-10-2017, 10:30 PM
Terry
Passage

Yesterday I fed him two chicks and a small amount of pigeon meat. Its surprising how just a little pigeon affects the weight.

Today he was 1lb and 87grams. So a little over but seemed keen on the pick up. I've noticed that he always seen keen on the pick up regardless of weight after not flying him for a little while and just picking him up to feed him on the fist each night last week.

My friend Mav had come over with his Perlin so we could hunt together near mine. We flew the Perlin first and had some nice stoops at Larks and then took flicker to the long pond at dusk. The tide was in.

He flew ok. But not very lively but waiting on nice and a perfect position for the flush. We ran the pond together Mav bombing to the left side and me the right. A good lot of Teal went and he gave us a nice stoop by the one he choose escaped with its life in the last 10ft of water just before the very end of the pond. All planned and timed to duck perfection...!

We tried for a remount and he had another stab at the ones that had returned to the opposite far end up the pond but this was fruitless as usual. Slippery Teal. Especially on the second flush. Probably 50 Teal on the pond tonight. Will have another go at them tomorrow but maybe t windy. We'll see.
Great fun today with both birds flying nicely for us. No stress. All very relaxed.

Regards

Terry
Old 13-10-2017, 08:35 AM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
Hello Brynn

Yes it would be nice to see you.

I'll arrange a full days hunting for you.

Falconry and bushing or lamping with the lurchers. If we plan it right I can show you my mates birds flying too. Goshawk or a Perlin. (That's you Mav)

Let me know when and get it planned ready.

Your mothers is only about 50 miles away.

You are very welcome.

Regards Terry
That sounds great! I'm thinking early December? But will have to consult the 'Boss' first about actual dates.
We can get our heads together soon & see when is best. Cheers.

Ps. Unlucky on the ducks......
Old 14-10-2017, 06:36 PM
Paul MacDermot
Passage

A happy man!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20171014-WA0000.jpg (98.1 KB, 39 views)
Old 14-10-2017, 06:52 PM
Terry
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUsHilarius View Post
A happy man!
Cheers Paul.

I'll post details later.

Regards Terry
Old 14-10-2017, 06:57 PM
Brancher

Old 14-10-2017, 07:00 PM
Passage

Well done flicker and Terry
Old 14-10-2017, 07:00 PM
Paul MacDermot
Passage

And this is another clip Terry took of Flicker grouse hawking. He hits his prey so hard, and this video reveals how he turns almost upside down before delivering the blow. Its sort of like a man twisting his body and fist right back in order to get extra power into his punch.

Https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3O...ew?usp=sharing

Same thing with some extra zoom:

Https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3O...ew?usp=sharing