Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco > Gamehawking

Old 08-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Terry
Passage

Default Re: Flicker Male parent Peregrine x Prairie Falcon

Update

Went to Andover yesterday - kindly invited by some friends to visit Maddog from this forum.

Thank you very much Steve for your hospitality, you made us very welcome.

Put him up over a covey of Greys and he was going up nice but checked and came back lower 300-400ft - flushed the birds and he went a pair that split from the covey - they went up the ditch line and I think he knocked one in but it may dumped I'm not sure.

Tried him again later at some Redlegs and he checked again but came back and started to mount and they busted and he put in only a shallow stoop. I fed him.

Alan flew his Male G/P - only the second time free this year - he went up nice 300-400ft and bound to a Hen Pheasant but hit a hedge straight after the bind and dropped it. It really surprised me to see a bird fly like this so soon from the moult.

Today went out in Colchester first but couldn't find a slip.

I came back home to the Duck pond but it was really late 6.15pm and dead still air - he went up lovely 500-600ft - he never stooped at the pond like usual and I walked up and clapped - a lone Mallard went but he never stooped - he went a small wader bird a Sandpiper I think - it had a real bright white rump - any way it dumped into the salting rough grass and I called him in and fed him.

No Teal on the pond tonight - I wonder if this may be because the tide was out ?

I will be out tomorrow.

Put a few pictures of Alan's young female Gyr up for you to have a look at.

He brought her with him on Friday as he is training her. She jumped on my knee for the ride whilst on the way there in the back of the Jeep

Thank you to Alan, Danny and Steve for Friday.

Regards

Terry

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Terrys photos Oct 2011 014.jpg (97.4 KB, 650 views)
File Type: jpg Terrys photos Oct 2011 012.jpg (98.7 KB, 643 views)
Old 09-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Terry
Passage

Hello

Update for today.

Took him to the farm at 5.30pm. It was windy - forecast said 14 mph but it seemed like more to me

He was 1lb 2 1/2 / 3/4 oz - a bit high and on the up in weight.

The dog was half pointing in a reedy ditch so there was probably a Pheasant running in front of her.

Let him off and he done a few circles down wind - and some more getting further away and further til he was gone from sight.

I stood swinging the lure for a few minutes - then began to walk towards where he went - 10 minutes went by and then he came from nowhere into the lure. He was very far away at one point. Glad he came back with me going to get him

What a little pecker !

I'm going to trim him down to 1.2 / 1.2 1/4 oz that's where he should be.

Its really easy to over feed him.

Just two chicks is enough for him.

I gave him one and half tonight.

Try again tomorrow.

Regards

Terry
Old 10-10-2011, 09:37 PM
Terry
Passage

Hello

No flying today - too windy - probably the same tomorrow but I might try to get out.

Terry
Old 12-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Terry
Passage

Hello

Just an update on the falcon.

Didn't fly him last night as it was too windy.

Took him to the farm tonight - he was just 1lb 2 1/4 going down.

It was 5.30pm - very still - saw a Cock Pheasant run into a ditch so put him up straight way - good open set up.

He mounted nice 500ft or so and stayed quite tight to me. Me, Paul and his dog flushed the bird after a few minutes of searching and it went across the
open field.

The hawk was about 50 yards away from us but high overhead he stooped at it and hit it hard about 70 yards away sending lots of rump feather flying then he followed it into the hedge. He came back with all grass in hes feet so I expect that he had a tussle on the floor with it.

This was his first go at an adult cock. I know that they are too big but get a flight for him so you find yourself just having a go at anything.

Don't know whether I should have let him remount and ratted it out for him ? - Might do next time.

Really pleased with him tonight - he even let me pick him from the block with no food. Sometimes he bates away then bites my bare hand when I try lift him onto the the glove.

Going to try and keep him at this weight from now on - but its really easy to over feed him - just about two chicks is probably enough.

He started to have a little cherp at me when I walk to the weathering to get him. Bless him ! - but it don't stop him biting me the little ****er !!

Duck pond tomorrow I hope.

Terry

P.s Here's a few pictures of Paul's Goshawk - She killed a rooster over the farm today. Second day free from the moult and second Pheasant of the season. She's an old pro.

Really tame she is. He's trained her just nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Terrys photos October 2011 001.jpg (95.5 KB, 577 views)
Old 12-10-2011, 11:53 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
Hello

Just an update on the falcon.

Didn't fly him last night as it was too windy.

Took him to the farm tonight - he was just 1lb 2 1/4 going down.

It was 5.30pm - very still - saw a Cock Pheasant run into a ditch so put him up straight way - good open set up.

He mounted nice 500ft or so and stayed quite tight to me. Me, Paul and his dog flushed the bird after a few minutes of searching and it went across the
open field.

The hawk was about 50 yards away from us but high overhead he stooped at it and hit it hard about 70 yards away sending lots of rump feather flying then he followed it into the hedge. He came back with all grass in hes feet so I expect that he had a tussle on the floor with it.

This was his first go at an adult cock. I know that they are too big but get a flight for him so you find yourself just having a go at anything.

Don't know whether I should have let him remount and ratted it out for him ? - Might do next time.

Really pleased with him tonight - he even let me pick him from the block with no food. Sometimes he bates away then bites my bare hand when I try lift him onto the the glove.

Going to try and keep him at this weight from now on - but its really easy to over feed him - just about two chicks is probably enough.

He started to have a little cherp at me when I walk to the weathering to get him. Bless him ! - but it don't stop him biting me the little ****er !!

Duck pond tomorrow I hope.

Terry

P.s Here's a few pictures of Paul's Goshawk - She killed a rooster over the farm today. Second day free from the moult and second Pheasant of the season. She's an old pro.

Really tame she is. He's trained her just nice.
What a lump of a goshawk!!!

Regards
Dean
Old 13-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Scott Baldwin
Passage

He's a funny looking bloke the gos is nice thou.
Old 13-10-2011, 09:37 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post

Regards
Dean
No Dean,Paul is just a short****!
Terry,enjoying your thread mate and I hope you have a great season chap.
Cheers
Andy
Old 16-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Terry
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hulme View Post
No Dean,Paul is just a short****!
Terry,enjoying your thread mate and I hope you have a great season chap.
cheers
andy
Hello Andy

Thanks Mate - Same to you

Regards

Terry
Old 16-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Terry
Passage

Hello

Update for the past few days.

Thursday went to the duck pond at 3.00pm.

He mounted nice but checked at something out on the saltings.

He came back looking for the lure hovering over my head but I could hear the Widgeon on the pond so I walked away for him to re mount.

He was only about 300ft and right overhead when I walked to the pond.

15-20 mainly Wigeon and a few Mallard went but quickly landed back on the water as he stooped at them. He stooped them a few times on the water and I called him in and fed him.

Friday - back at the same duck pond at 5.30pm.

I am armed with carrier bags with stones in to fling at the ducks.

Mounted really high 600-700ft and I walked to the pond - there was nothing on it - I looked up and was stooping then I see a Teal that had slipped away low across open marsh but it dumped into the grass and he looped over and in after it. Then they both come racing back 80 yrds to the pond where the Teal plopped in the water just 10ft in front of me. The falcon tried to have him on the water a few times before I lured him back and fed him.

Saturday

Took him to the farm and put him up 6.00pm.

He mounted nice and I beat for him for 5 mins then threw out a Red Leg (dead).

Sunday

Took him to the farm with a few other falconers.

Put him up over a hedge with the dog running.

He went some Partridges that were far away in the field and running but he came back and re mounted right after. Then he went a Hare that we put up but again came back and remounted but then unfortunately we put a Kestrel out under him from the end of the hedge. What a shame.

Going away to Somerset tomorrow for four day so will update when I get back.

Been flying him at 1lb 2oz or 1lb 2 1/4 oz - seems much more on me at this weight.

Regards

Terry
Old 16-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Terry
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post

Regards
Dean
Hello Dean

She was 2lb 11 1/2oz in the pic but overweight still as just from the moult.

She flies a at 2 lb 10 ish usually.

Bred by Dave Sinclair I think.

Good gamehawk she is.

Regards

Terry