Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Eagles - Aquila

Old 20-05-2016, 11:39 AM
Brancher

Default Re: Monitoring Philippine Eagles in the Wild

Much of the Mindanao region had been studied and have identified the eagles location and home range and each location is being monitored by the field researchers of Philippine Eagle Foundation together with their partners local and International Organizations. They are focusing in Luzon which has been long overdue to study the eagles which has a very different condition to Mindanao in weather and prey items availability...

One of the nest found in Mt. Kitanglad in Mindanao... the mother eagle and her young
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BP8P9676PhilEagleDavao1_zps817cdd1c.jpg (98.0 KB, 175 views)
Old 06-06-2016, 11:42 AM
Brancher

It's Philippine Eagle Week 2016!

June 4 - 10, 2016 is the 18th Philippine Eagle Week with simultaneous celebrations being held in Davao in the Philippine Eagle Center and in Manila in the Ninoy Aquino Parks and Wildlife Center and in many other places all over the Philippines.

Philippine Eagle a hundred years of solitude.
"On 13 June 1896 his servant Juan brought in the male of a pair that had been seen daily in the forest opposite his camp. Even in death the bird had put up a fight, hanging by its talons at the top of a tree until Juan climbed the full height to fetch it down."...

This discovery was declared by W. R. Ogilvie Grant, who described the species for science, as “the most remarkable of Mr Whitehead’s achievements in the Philippine Islands”, but at the time the achiever himself was yet again in the throes of illness, reporting that when Juan handed over the body “it was so heavy that I could hardly hold it out at arm’s length in my then enfeebled state of health”.

read more: http://orientalbirdclub.org/philippine-eagle/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13343041_993698117365015_9183637511844063473_n.jpg (15.3 KB, 155 views)
Old 06-06-2016, 03:47 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Great, glad to see that the Eagle is still getting out there and happy Philippine Eagle week!

Best Wishes,

Bradley
Old 06-06-2016, 04:23 PM
Egg

Amazing!

Last edited by Sue2; 07-06-2016 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Advertising without upgrade. Next time will be a ban
Old 08-06-2016, 09:06 AM
Brancher

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13335608_10153664036437965_4903465932968847732_n.jpg (68.6 KB, 129 views)
Old 15-06-2016, 09:22 AM
Brancher

Published on Jun 14, 2016

A small band of conservationists are trying to save the Philippine eagle after decades of rainforest destruction and hunting have decimated the population of majestic bird-- one of the world's biggest and most powerful.
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlS-S5cgIxM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05_Eagle-6.jpg (92.3 KB, 112 views)
Old 24-08-2016, 04:07 AM
Brancher

Raptor Projects: The Philippine Eagle Project

A male Philippine eagle named "Imbulog" meaning Soar

"The Philippine Eagle is a powerful intelligent bird that looks at you with piercing eyes. They have no competitors in their jungle with no big cats, bears, wolves they are the top predator in the Philippines and this gives them an air of confidence like no other raptor on the planet. I have trained a lot of eagles in my life but nothing like the Philippine Eagle. It was truly a life changing experience... read more http://www.mikesfalconry.com/Raptor-Projects-s/161.htm
Old 24-08-2016, 07:36 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

If this species was lost to the world it would be a travesty, what a magnificent creature.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:44 AM
Brancher

The King is dead, Long live the King!

The Oldest living Philippine Eagle in captivity named 'Thor'dies at 46...

"I found out later that the bird is seriously sick, and our vet thinks the poor eagle is giving in to old age. At 46, she’s the oldest captive eagle on record. She is also functionally blind because of cataract. Three days later, the eagle passed away."

Read more:Link: http://www.sunstar.com.ph/davao/week...ve-king-517738

The eagle’s name is “Thor”, after the Norse God of Thunder. How she got her name we don’t know exactly. But what we do know is that eagle Thor seems to match the demeanor of her namesake. According to Domingo Tadena, or Manong Doming as we call him, a pioneer Philippine Eagle Foundation (PEF)bBiologist and former PEF deputy-director for breeding, eagle Thor has always been fierce and aggressive. She has trouble connecting with her feathered kind as well as her human caretakers. As a result, she was not able to breed and produce eaglets, both naturally and artificially. Perhaps the circumstances of her capture could provide clues to why she behaved that way. Records show that Thor was shot as a young eagle in 1971. She was then sold by her shooter. For the next three years, she was caged, handled, and fed by her buyer under conditions we can only guess.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:55 AM
Passage

Very sad.