Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Eagles - Aquila

Old 27-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

Default Re: Zeus- a muddled diary in pics and words!

A few 'thankyous'
Most handsome Goldie there is-George Mussared
Hoods- John Mease and Steve Halsall
Gloves- Rheullan Raptors and Mac Falcon
Braided Jesses and kit-Zoe Jones
Sampo swivels- Rheullan Raptors
Anklets- Given to me by Moge, the others didn't fit!
Block- Phil Lott
Bells-Andy Peel
Telemetry-Marshall
Addiction to falconry 24 years ago- Tom Carnihan, with more help from the written work of Glasier!
Old 27-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

I love this hood! Made by a thoroughly nice bloke!

Robin -Pitbull, said 'handsome is as handsome does' and he's right, Zeus has now eaten all the rabbits the gos catches- and hasn't exactly pulled his own weight filling the freezer!!
Old 27-12-2013, 09:15 PM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

MBA, how do you find yours is stamina wise at that weight? ok? Is he taking quarry well?
Old 28-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Egg

Not tried to enter him yet when I say hunting weight i have done loads of lure machine setups of varying distances and difficulties he's flown free every day and seems strong and fitness is defiantly improving have to keep him slightly sharper down here in the valleys of wales
Old 28-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

I was looking forward to todays outing, The wind was do able, good company, and I was feeling lucky after The boxing day outing!
Fist slip into a stiff wind was Mike's female Bonnelis, absolute missile, a long slip, the hare just making it to cover-just!
Next slip was a patch of cover for Travis' young AHE male, 'Hare!'-no it's a muntjac! off over the hill he went , with 'hahaha one for yours there dave' ringing in the air. Next out in the opposite direction-another Muntjac! Travis said 'do you want to slip?' Ok then, Zeus' hood was off and he was away after the wide rumped hare looking thing! the munty had had a big headstart by the time the slipping order had been changed ! The eagle was pumping hard uphill in pursuit, the deer was over the brow well in advance- you better run dave!! I high speed waddled to the hill top to see Zeus on the deck and mr. jack no where to be seen! he must have took a hard right to the hedgerow after cresting the hill?!- I was a little pleased for various reasons.
Mike's Bonellis took a truly whopping hare, although it go a bit self hunty after chasing a hare into the next field- which seemed to be full of hares! he chased 3 or 4 before catching one!
The next slip was perfectly setup for Zeus- shame it was the turn of the young AHE ! Travis' bird went across the field like a missile, and just missed the hare!
By now the hares were thin on the ground, my god we walked a long way today for a few slips!! Zeus then got his slip, down hill but into the wind- the hare , the ******, ran all the way along a farm track'rut-so was flying! Zeus worked hard all the way, hundreds of yards, making up ground,but not in time for the hedgerow! I ran in wellies too big on soft muddy plough, and felt and looked like a right wally-trying to keep my wellies from falling off!
He just wasn't going to get a fair slip today. But it was nice to see The hawk eagles fly, and be out with good company.
The odd point was Zeus returning after another long/stupid slip and locking on to Pete, despite me waving and shouting, he just decided Pete was me..... No malice at all, Pete finally just pushing him over his head with a gentle prod of his stick!Zeus landed and then realized 'I was me'.
Pete and Trav last saw this bird fly when he chased a dragged hare- when Zeus was just beginning- and remembered Zeus leaving the fist, belly flopping onto the ground and scrabbling after the carcass! Pete was impressed today when Zeus left the fist firstime!

Trav with a truly gorgeous capable hawk!!
Old 28-12-2013, 06:42 PM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

I love my falconry books! I have most of those by Martin Hollinshead and I love his writing style and his books are always interesting, I think this small and understated one is the best eagle manual there is! Full of tips, some seemingly small-but very helpful!
Old 28-12-2013, 08:35 PM
Neil
Haggard

Sounds like he's coming on well . I have flown all my eagles to food laid out out on the ground and never had a problem with them flying off looking for it if they miss quarry they are chasing.
Old 28-12-2013, 08:46 PM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

Hi Neil, I'm sure you haven't, But a friends did exactly this,and he always blamed it on putting tidbits on the floor, so I'm jus trying to think around possible problems- trying to avoid other peoples pitfalls and learn by their mistakes if you will!
I hope that makes sense without me sounding like some sort of pompous prk!
Old 28-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Neil
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpster View Post
Hi Neil, I'm sure you haven't, But a friends did exactly this,and he always blamed it on putting tidbits on the floor, so I'm jus trying to think around possible problems- trying to avoid other peoples pitfalls and learn by their mistakes if you will!
I hope that makes sense without me sounding like some sort of pompous prk!
Not sounding pompous at all Dave. It's all about tweaking things to find what works for you. I still treat every day as a school day.

Atb,
Neil.
Old 28-12-2013, 09:11 PM
Dave Sharpe
Passage

yes-me too, too many people learn the basics then refuse to try anything different. I'm loving the goldie, as although previous falconry has stood me in goo stead- Zeus is a whole new learning curve.
You could argue that Zeus could go off scanning for carmats in the field!

One of my big goals was silence- but the bga does yap when I'm around his space in the garden. Although if I get on with something he will shut up and watch, but just walking back and forth he will yap as I walk toward him! I hate noisey hawks with a vengeance! a hh telling me theres a pheasant under some brambles-fine- but incessant screaming-yuk!

Most people said I wont get a silent Goldie....doh!-so far he doesn't make a sound off the property- I must say he does seem to crave attention- I guess when he's with me he isn't bored and food could be in the offing!