Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > What is your County, Province or State? > England

Old 26-07-2013, 09:14 PM
Haggard

Default Re: Reclaiming

Over the years I've simply done what everyone else has said once the bird steps up I jess up and go hunting with hawks or falcons however for the first time I'm going to take up my FRT her having had a breeding season in with her partner I might just have to change my approach ,those feet are not to be messed with and she's become very territorial ! if you don't hear from me after October you'll know its gone wrong
Old 27-07-2013, 04:44 PM
Nigel
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rampling View Post
Hi Nigel, if you had not netted him, and not weighed him, but instead kept him on short rations until he came to the fist you would have had no problem at all. He would most definately have come to the fist a long while before he starved. It is not unusual for a bird, whether Harris or falcon, to be lower than its flying weight before it agrees to come to the fist, after not being handled for months, but once into that routine weight goes up very quickly. And the bird is loose in a day or so.

Hope you dont mind me saying.

It is the same for all previously trained freelofted falcons and Harris's, (and accipiters, I have found) no need for netting a previously trained freelofted bird, in my experience. Atb.
No problem

He is freelofted with an agressive female, if I let them go below flying weight I would fear for his safety, they have been mating all summer, but I would not trust her if she went that low. I guess I could go down untill she steps up then leave him in on his own to go lower untill he steps up.

Nige
Old 27-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Dave
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nig295 View Post
No problem

He is freelofted with an agressive female, if I let them go below flying weight I would fear for his safety, they have been mating all summer, but I would not trust her if she went that low. I guess I could go down untill she steps up then leave him in on his own to go lower untill he steps up.

Nige
Fair enough. Atb.
Old 27-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Chick

At the risk of making myself look an idiot can thunder and lightening give a bird fret marks because bout two weeks ago we had a major storm after that sun we all had and iv just noticed a fret mark on her tail not happy at all she was going perfectly until now
Old 27-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Dave
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pojohnson123 View Post
at the risk of making myself look an idiot can thunder and lightening give a bird fret marks :
Not usually. Atb.
Old 27-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Brancher

[QUOTE=David Rampling;2027251]It is very simple to reclaim a previously trained freelofted Harris. (Or falcon for that matter). Just put it on short rations until it is jumping quickly in the fist in the pen. At that stage you can usually put it on a creance, and you should have it free in two or three days. Simple.

Spot on. But i would forget the creance. Pain in the backside. know your bird and trust your instinct. Well manned and keen will do the trick. Hate the creance with vengeance. Use it for training runner beans or something. If you can't get near your Harris in its mews its normally to heavy to be flying free.
PS. forum and alcohol don't mix
Old 27-07-2013, 08:43 PM
John formerly It's Alright Ma
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pojohnson123 View Post
at the risk of making myself look an idiot can thunder and lightening give a bird fret marks because bout two weeks ago we had a major storm after that sun we all had and iv just noticed a fret mark on her tail not happy at all she was going perfectly until now
If the lightening struck the tail, I'd not be shocked if there was a fret mark, or even slight singeing.
Old 27-07-2013, 09:49 PM
Dave
Haggard

[quote=DarrenPalin;2028321]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rampling View Post
It is very simple to reclaim a previously trained freelofted Harris. (Or falcon for that matter). Just put it on short rations until it is jumping quickly in the fist in the pen. At that stage you can usually put it on a creance, and you should have it free in two or three days. Simple.

Spot on. But i would forget the creance. Pain in the backside. know your bird and trust your instinct. Well manned and keen will do the trick. Hate the creance with vengeance. Use it for training runner beans or something. If you can't get near your Harris in its mews its normally to heavy to be flying free.
PS. forum and alcohol don't mix
Its true, creances are a pain, and someone experienced with reclaiming freelofted birds probably wont need one at all. But someone unfamiliar with the process probably will. Atb.