Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > What is your County, Province or State? > England

Old 02-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Chick

Default Please give advise

My friend has just rang me saying his pair of hh have killied the chick by pulling off its head y could they have done this ?they had two eggs the male broke one of them and the other one hatched two weeks ago but today at about 2 they killed it and began building again he has been feeding one quail and half a rabbit a day i dont no if this is the rite amount of food to suport two adults plus a chick??? any advice or ideas guys thanks
Old 03-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Chick

Default Re: Please give advise

no ideas at all guys?
Old 03-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Andy
Haggard

Could be anything disturbance, not enough food, cat walking over the flight owt. Happens I'm afraid when I first started breeding a pair of Peres I had used to kill the chick dead on 9 days after 3 years we separated and put the female with another male and after that was fine
Old 03-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Haggard

Not an unusual event

My pair killed a foster chick once two weeks after accepting it ,last year (their 8th together) i put them in a different pen they killed both young at about a week ,this year back in their old pen 2 chicks no dramas
Sounds more than enough food if theres a little waste is always the best indicator
Old 03-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Chick

I dont no if there is any left overs iv not asked him hes only had the birds for around 10 month he bought the from a guy in wales who claimes they have reared 3 lots of chicks with no problem .....but what we did notice when we looked back over the footage was they pushed the chick rite to the edge of the nest while still alive a hour after feeding it and started building the nest higher inside where they had put the chick so the chick wasnt inside the walls of the nest then the female just hops over and plays with it for around ten mins before pulling the head off it ..very strange
Old 03-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pojohnson123 View Post
i dont no if there is any left overs iv not asked him hes only had the birds for around 10 month he bought the from a guy in wales who claimes they have reared 3 lots of chicks with no problem .....but what we did notice when we looked back over the footage was they pushed the chick rite to the edge of the nest while still alive a hour after feeding it and started building the nest higher inside where they had put the chick so the chick wasnt inside the walls of the nest then the female just hops over and plays with it for around ten mins before pulling the head off it ..very strange
its far from strange and because they bred easily and previously at another site only goes to highlight that change is often not good for birds adn they make take a long period to settle even with the relatively straightforward hh
pen design ,weather ,noise,all can have an impact ,did he hunt the birds together at all ?
I can assure that food would not be the issue
Old 03-06-2013, 11:02 PM
Chick

No they havnt been hunted while hes had them and im not sure if the other owners hunted them together he just asked me to put it up on here to see if you guys could shed any light on it i dont no all the details about the birds but what i do no is that he has bred goshawks in that same aviary in the past without any problems at all.