Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Lost, Found, Sighted or Stolen Birds of Prey?

Old 24-09-2017, 04:37 AM
Egg

Default Re: Goshawk found in Suffolk

I wish he will meet his owner soon. Is it Northern goshawk?
Old 24-09-2017, 10:04 AM
Mark
Passage

When I was doing bird control on a landfill site several years ago, I used to write my mobile number on the jesses. I used to write it in big bold numbers, easily seen. My lanner peregrine went off on a jolly. About 20 minutes later I got a phone call from a woman the other side of town, she said your bird is sat on my wall. I promptly jumped in the Landy and soon pulled up outside her house. A few people were gathered looking at her, I held out my glove she jumped on. After thanking the woman we were on our way back to the site.
This quick retrieval was due to my easily seen mobile number, a great idea saving time and a lot of hassle!
Old 24-09-2017, 01:59 PM
Banned
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorMan1 View Post
When I was doing bird control on a landfill site several years ago, I used to write my mobile number on the jesses. I used to write it in big bold numbers, easily seen. My lanner peregrine went off on a jolly. About 20 minutes later I got a phone call from a woman the other side of town, she said your bird is sat on my wall. I promptly jumped in the Landy and soon pulled up outside her house. A few people were gathered looking at her, I held out my glove she jumped on. After thanking the woman we were on our way back to the site.
This quick retrieval was due to my easily seen mobile number, a great idea saving time and a lot of hassle!
Hi Mark, how big are we talking? See I was thinking of putting holes in the jess and pulling it tight so the whole number came through and have it straight because when it bends around the leg you canít see the whole number unless youíre close and maybe need to spin it a bit. If the bird is caught then not a problem. You can get these bigger but for them to be worn as a ring then I went for the smallest size.
Iíll put a pic up showing what I mean shortly.

Regards
Tom
Old 24-09-2017, 02:14 PM
Mark
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0M View Post
Hi Mark, how big are we talking? See I was thinking of putting holes in the jess and pulling it tight so the whole number came through and have it straight because when it bends around the leg you canít see the whole number unless youíre close and maybe need to spin it a bit. If the bird is caught then not a problem. You can get these bigger but for them to be worn as a ring then I went for the smallest size.
Iíll put a pic up showing what I mean shortly.

Regards
Tom
Hi Tom I just used to write it down the fly jesses, in as big a numbers as I could fit on so as it can't be missed.
Old 24-09-2017, 02:45 PM
Banned
Passage

Quote:
Hi Tom I just used to write it down the fly jesses, in as big a numbers as I could fit on so as it can't be missed.
Hi Mark
I personally fly with just anklets. If the ties are fitted like in this pic then can be read by myself from 2 metres away maybe a bit further in good daylight. The blue one is the actual length cut after the last number so about 30mm.
Regards
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B6E587C2-804A-40D4-9C90-86389249C504.jpg (85.1 KB, 93 views)
Old 24-09-2017, 09:59 PM
Mark
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0M View Post
Hi Mark
I personally fly with just anklets. If the ties are fitted like in this pic then can be read by myself from 2 metres away maybe a bit further in good daylight. The blue one is the actual length cut after the last number so about 30mm.
Regards
Tom
Looks good Tom its worth trying.
Old 25-09-2017, 02:07 PM
Banned
Passage

Quote:
Looks good Tom its worth trying.
Iíve fitted them to my birds as rings for Now but that was another idea. I was also thinking of putting them around the anklet. Iíd have to put holes just on the inside of the eyelet and thread through so it didnít touch the birds leg. Only thing is the head of the cable tie could get in the way a bit when threading the jess
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D4B9A575-B997-484A-9974-94D04DE22566.jpg (90.2 KB, 65 views)
Old 25-09-2017, 06:04 PM
Mark
Passage

I thought these looked good but expensive.
Http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showt...h+phone+number
Old 25-09-2017, 07:25 PM
Banned
Passage

Yes they are smart and yes expensive. Also would they dry out and need replacing every season or even sooner and would the writing wear off? I know some of the text has worn off the breeders ring on one of my birds so could be very expensive. Iím sure Iíve seen similar idea for a lot less but still costly. The cable ties work out about 35p each with adhesive lined heat shrink if using for rings or 15p if were to use as a tag. Either way still cheap and could tag 300 birds or ring a hundred birds for less than a set of those anklets.

Regards
Tom
Old 25-09-2017, 09:16 PM
Mark
Passage

I think that you would keep the metal part and just make new anklets, and put the metal part around them. Keep recycling them. You method would work just as well.