Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > RAPTOR BREEDERS & BREEDING > Artificial Insemination & Incubation

Old 01-04-2006, 07:17 PM
Passage

puzo for a few of us lacking in knowledge what does this statement mean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzo
I've never flown a hybrid. Well apart from a 1/8 barbary peregrine & they're not really hybridised
do they naturaly breed in the wild or is it a common cross breed??

Also what other falcons if they do cross breed naturally?? that you now of i have read that gyrs and sakers do but not many otheres gyr/sakers i suppose is down to locality
Old 01-04-2006, 10:30 PM
Kev
Passage

Meaning, & I'm probably wrong on this as Ive never bred birds & know very little about it, They are basicaly of the same taxonomic group as opposed to hybridisation between gyr x peregrine Or saker x peregrine which don't occur naturaly & are very likely to be infertile.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Haggard

That is my understanding also
Old 01-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Andy Peel
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormRider
Very interesting thread Andy. I have to admit but I am a bit of a purest when it comes to breed but I have come to realise that hybrids do have their place in our traditions.
I may be wrong on this but was there not a Harris x Gos for sale in the IBR or UK Falcons recently. For the benefit of those who would wish to try the breeding side, a friend of mine has a really good female that he is willing to use within AI with gos semen. Any takers?
STU
Just reading through the thread again did you get any takers this season?
Old 16-12-2017, 11:12 PM
Chris Schofield
Haggard

Default Re: Female harris cross Male Goshawk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeelsBells View Post
Is there any breeders out there who have tried to cross the gos with a harris or is it impossible because of their difference in genes.
I know they have crossed a coppers hawk and a harris with quite some success.
I believe throught talking to some breeders that they have tried by AI but with no success only to 16 weeks old then they have problems.
Speaking to vets friends they say its possible but only if the right chromasones are present.
I know all you people out there with be saying whats the point of the cross but rememeber thing dont stand still and something good my comeout of it but may be not.
Please only people who want to put advise up no sarkey comments as i have a female harris who has just been rasied by a gos she is 22 weeks old and she has been in with other goshawks all this time no problems no fighting just sitting together no aggresstion.
If the feed back that is its impossible i will heed the advice and just fly the bird.

All the best

Andy
use this year did last as well but was infertile
Old 17-12-2017, 03:44 PM
Harry McElroy
Brancher

Default Re: Female harris cross Male Goshawk.

Andy,

Don't let the naysayers discourage you only a few years ago many were against antibiotics for various reasons.

Several attempts have been made to produce the gos x HH cross but it has been difficult. I had a gos x Cooper's for a season and became bored with it because it only took rabbits and refused quail.

At this time I have for 4 years had a gry x aplomado that is fun and fast...not especially easy to manage but a real performer even in our desert heat.

Best of luck,

Harry.