Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Eagles - Aquila

Old 11-11-2015, 08:14 PM
Adam Burn
Passage

Default Re: Arnnah female Golden Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMick View Post
Hi, sorry to hear of your loss, Arnnah looks stunning. Would you mind briefly explaining the no food association method
thanks
Am no expert mick when it comes to eagles or this method, it's a learning curve for both, but I can answer your questions to a reasonable level.

Traditionally with Hawks and Falcons we could start dropping the birds weight for hard penning and try over the coming days to get the bird in question to feed from the fist as the bird builds confidence in you and weight reduction has started you move on to flying to the fist for food and so on.
Have you ever heard the saying you can't man a fat hawk? Well you can man a fat eagle

However with the eagle you pick them up anywhere between 16/20 normally. What you do different goes against everything I have ever been taught. You aim to keep the birds weight at penning weight or even push the birds weight up above that. At the same time you go through the usual manning sections. When you come to fed the eagle you try to avoid the eagle seen you with the food, I.e I won't be feeding off the fist only on the ground or lure during training. To do this I have been hooding her and him placing the food below the block and then removing the hood. Once they are feeding confidently I started flying them to food on the ground flying out of the hood to food on the ground that had been placed once the hood was on.

This method is they to hopefully prevent the bird from associating food with me, which should prevent the bird from shouting and calling for food.

As I said am no expect but if someone with more experience could add to the post it would be greatful
Adam
Old 11-11-2015, 08:23 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleMews View Post
Am no expert mick when it comes to eagles or this method, it's a learning curve for both, but I can answer your questions to a reasonable level.

Traditionally with Hawks and Falcons we could start dropping the birds weight for hard penning and try over the coming days to get the bird in question to feed from the fist as the bird builds confidence in you and weight reduction has started you move on to flying to the fist for food and so on.
Have you ever heard the saying you can't man a fat hawk? Well you can man a fat eagle

However with the eagle you pick them up anywhere between 16/20 normally. What you do different goes against everything I have ever been taught. You aim to keep the birds weight at penning weight or even push the birds weight up above that. At the same time you go through the usual manning sections. When you come to fed the eagle you try to avoid the eagle seen you with the food, I.e I won't be feeding off the fist only on the ground or lure during training. To do this I have been hooding her and him placing the food below the block and then removing the hood. Once they are feeding confidently I started flying them to food on the ground flying out of the hood to food on the ground that had been placed once the hood was on.

This method is they to hopefully prevent the bird from associating food with me, which should prevent the bird from shouting and calling for food.

As I said am no expect but if someone with more experience could add to the post it would be greatful
Adam
Thanks that makes a lot of sense, i'll look forward to your posts good luck.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:16 PM
Adam Burn
Passage

Old 11-11-2015, 10:15 PM
Steve Field
Passage

Quote:

Adam
Hi Adam doing this could make her very possessive around the block when you start cutting her weight, she will start predicting food even when you have no intention of feeding her.
If you want to feed her like this I would recommend setting another block up away from her normal living area and feed there.
I fly a male that I imprinted and fed him at the block during his first moult because he would't settle in his aviary.
He is now a right bar steward when I'm at his block in the back garden, anywhere else he has perfect manners.
ATB
Steve
Old 12-11-2015, 06:25 AM
Adam Burn
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP View Post
Hi Adam doing this could make her very possessive around the block when you start cutting her weight, she will start predicting food even when you have no intention of feeding her.
If you want to feed her like this I would recommend setting another block up away from her normal living area and feed there.
I fly a male that I imprinted and fed him at the block during his first moult because he would't settle in his aviary.
He is now a right bar steward when I'm at his block in the back garden, anywhere else he has perfect manners.
ATB
Steve
Thanks for that Steve, it makes sense like I said am no expert on eagles or this method and appreciate all advice

Adam
Old 12-11-2015, 08:12 AM
Steve Field
Passage

Quote:
Thanks for that Steve, it makes sense like I said am no expert on eagles or this method and appreciate all advice

Adam
Food association in a goldie I believe is unavoidable, they are just to intelligent to be fooled in that way, there are to many things that ring their dinner bell.
You can feed them in a different way every day and there will still be something that tells them it's dinner time.
This is why bowl feeding is often used because it gives you the most control over them or their feet anyway.
I'm not saying this is the only way in fact I rarely use it myself, they are all different as are we and we can only do so much, it will be her temperament that dictates what you can and can't get away with in the end.
ATB
Steve
Old 17-11-2015, 01:48 PM
Adam Burn
Passage

Arrnah is becoming the gentle giant. Very soft natured taken to the hood very well and for the time we have had her she's very settled on the glove around the kids and dogs. However still hasn't worked out regaining the block while in the garden, becoming a little frustrating in that sense

Adam
Old 18-11-2015, 02:55 PM
Kevin Kelly
Passage

Arrnah is looking well Adam have you started to reduce her weight yet ? Photo me and treacle out this morning
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (97.7 KB, 341 views)
Old 18-11-2015, 07:33 PM
Adam Burn
Passage

Question Re: Arnnah female Golden Eagle

Looking good kev, not yet still got her weight up just taken it easy starting this weekend on the line work only been feeding on the block.

Adam
Old 21-11-2015, 06:01 PM
Adam Burn
Passage

Started on weight reduction the past few days and with a break in the snow sleet showers took her for a walk on the farm then flew her on the line for the first time. Typical young bird on the fist in the wind dancing about wings open until she realised it was better to grip the glove, after we walked around the farm we tried her on the line surprisingly for her first attempt she did very well no aggression on the food or fist and hooded very well only a short distance 20 ft but it's a start

Adam