Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Mentors, Courses & Apprenticeships > Cornwall

Old 16-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Egg

Default Mentor and Courses?? is one better or a combination of both?

Hi guys..im trying to learn slowly just wanted to put this out there....whih is more helpful??? A good mentor or a course?? Im thinking a mentor as they will always be around when you need them? And a course seems alot to take in in 3-5 days?? When your surely continually learning in this magical art??
Cheers Damian
Old 16-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Ben Fairbank
Passage

Default Re: Mentor and Courses?? is one better or a combination of both?

A " good " mentor is far superior to a course IMO.
Old 16-05-2013, 02:37 PM
Gary Griffiths
Brancher

A course is probably a good introduction, but a good mentor with years of experience are worth their weight in gold.
Old 16-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Haggard

Both.

A decent course (of which there are few) followed by a mentor is ideal.

Few mentors have the time to cover as much as a good course will, but a mentor will be on the end of the phone when needed.
Old 16-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Passage

IF you can, get a mentor then id say that would be your best bet,i went on a course, oh god 14 plus years ago,complete waste of time and money,in fact id say rip off merchants! sadly I believe these cowboys are still going strong???????Sion hall or has it changed hands????? long since forgot how much the "course" cost ,personally I wouldn't call watching 2 displays a day and learning to tie a falconers knot a course,after 3 days that's all I come away with,besides the "falconers" had to look after there mates aswell as the PAYING public! ****ERS, am I bitter? too damn right I am!
Old 17-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Doug Tricker
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Dennis View Post
IF you can, get a mentor then id say that would be your best bet,i went on a course, oh god 14 plus years ago,complete waste of time and money,in fact id say rip off merchants! sadly I believe these cowboys are still going strong???????Sion hall or has it changed hands????? long since forgot how much the "course" cost ,personally I wouldn't call watching 2 displays a day and learning to tie a falconers knot a course,after 3 days that's all I come away with,besides the "falconers" had to look after there mates aswell as the PAYING public! ****ERS, am I bitter? too damn right I am!
Not all courses are the same, but what you describe used to be all too common.
Though I am willing to believe that things have improved, I still think a good mentor is the way to go.
Old 17-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallBeck View Post
Both.

A decent course (of which there are few) followed by a mentor is ideal.

Few mentors have the time to cover as much as a good course will, but a mentor will be on the end of the phone when needed.
Thats the one!! Good post Charlie.

Regards
Dean
Old 17-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Eddie Thorn
Passage

The problem with both is finding a good one.

For every decent falconer out there that do things well there are 2 that have below par standards from the very poor to the 'I've been doing it like this for years so what' type, which also covers the fact that just because they have been a practising falconer for 20 years doesn't mean diddilly. I have seen very experienced falconers that can't tie a proper falconer's knot or that have ideas and practises that are just down right dangerous or wrong. A bit like the fact that no one would have ever taken driving lessons off my mother despite the fact that she had held a driving licence for over 30 years, she was a terrible driver!! There are many falconry idiots teaching others to also be idiots out there!

So already you have a 1 in 3 chance that on finding a mentor that they actually know their stuff and will be worth learning from. Now all you have to do is find one of these 1/3 that has the time, patience, inclination and ability to teach you.....

Finding a decent course is a little easier, but not necessarily assured as there are many charlatan's and fools out there offering courses, some of them who run big 'falconry centres' who to the general public will appear decent, but to a knowledgeable falconer are as poor in their teaching as they are in their husbandry. So you need to do some homework and get recomendations. But at least once you have found a decent course it is just a case of paying your money, no need to hope that they have the inclination or ability to help, your úúú secures that! A good course should also offer after care support as a safety net should you need it, but don't expect them to hand hold you.

Personally I did a course over 15 years ago which combined with lots of reading was fine for me to get started, and I did really well with my first hawk. I actually prefered this route as personally I wanted to be sure that I was learning it right first time (I went to JPJ's centre in Newent to guarantee the quality of my instruction). In that week I learned a lot that would have taken a long time to have assimilated from a mentor. It was also a personal preference as I enjoyed having been self taught at other hobbies and a course gave me a balance between the need to learn from others (as there is no trial and error with the care of a hawk you have to get the basics right from the start!) without the need to be under the protracted influence of a stranger. However, I have seen others go down the route of getting either a single mentor, or getting in with a few falconers, and learning that way that have also done very well, and there is a lot to be said for the ongoing support of other falconers in your area that will help and provide a sounding board for your thoughts.
Old 17-05-2013, 06:22 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieT View Post

A bit like the fact that no one would have ever taken driving lessons off my mother despite the fact that she had held a driving licence for over 30 years, she was a terrible driver!!

Eddie, I think you'll find I have copyright on that analogy
Old 17-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Haggard

Finding the right mentor isn't a case of finding a competent falconer. For every fifty competent practitioners, only one knows how to teach, and that's the secret, finding someone who's good at the sport and can also communicate to pass the hands-on knowledge to someone else.
Henry V Act 2.