Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > EQUIPMENT & HOUSING > Bells & Leather Equipment

Old 06-05-2006, 05:07 PM
David Goodwin
Haggard

Default anklets and bewits

As looking around the falconer fair the other sunday ?? and seeing the different anklets about as in styles who stll uses the original type where the the eylet is put on the one hole then the leather is slit just at the back of the eylet and then threaded through then is held in place on the birds leg by the flying jesse ??? hope you know what i mean ?? then why is it the falconers cable tie has popped up ? as this is surely just a lazy way to attach bells to a hawks /falcons legs ?? as they are hard and could cut into the legs of any b.o.p they are attached too ,surely leather is best cheers dave
Old 06-05-2006, 05:46 PM
Haggard

I didnt see anyone selling this pattern of jesses

Anyone else still living in the dark ages?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snake and leather 003.jpg (47.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-05-2006, 06:04 PM
Game & Pursuit Falcon UK

Was with the Golden, but Ive moved on.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:31 PM
Neil
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeoHarrisHawk
as looking around the falconer fair the other sunday ?? and seeing the different anklets about as in styles who stll uses the original type where the the eylet is put on the one hole then the leather is slit just at the back of the eylet and then threaded through then is held in place on the birds leg by the flying jesse ??? hope you know what i mean ?? then why is it the falconers cable tie has popped up ? as this is surely just a lazy way to attach bells to a hawks /falcons legs ?? as they are hard and could cut into the legs of any b.o.p they are attached too ,surely leather is best cheers dave
I use the style you are referring to.They can be fitted and removed in seconds.If doing photography work with the eagles they can be flown without any anklets/jesses which is quite handy.
Far prefer traditional bewits for bells for the gos or falcons but never have bells on the eagles.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Brancher

I think RomeoHarrisHawk is referring to "ANKLETS" as shown in "The Modern Apprentice" and not traditional jesses. It would be instructive to hear of the experiences of those who have used them.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:03 PM
Countryside Alliance Representative
Passage

Still living in dark ages???
No, but some of the old ways have stood the test of time....................... The skill of making, fitting and using what are refered to as Traditional Jesses is useful to learn.
They can usualy be fitted single handed with a manned bird, and they can be fitted very quickly, with minimal fuss. They are great for a stop gap with a bird straight out of aviary, or removed from an aviary to facilitate medical treatment, and like wise for control of a wild bird needing the same.
Also useful in the 'falconry box' in the event of having to cut of an anklet whilst in field hunting, etc., for some reason.
The main disadvantage is the slit in the jess, so if flying is to be considered, a refit with Aylmeri and flying jesses is essential.
Old 13-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Kevin Riach - BFC Mid West region
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venividevenatio
No, but some of the old ways have stood the test of time....................... The skill of making, fitting and using what are refered to as Traditional Jesses is useful to learn.
They can usualy be fitted single handed with a manned bird, and they can be fitted very quickly, with minimal fuss. They are great for a stop gap with a bird straight out of aviary, or removed from an aviary to facilitate medical treatment, and like wise for control of a wild bird needing the same.
Also useful in the 'falconry box' in the event of having to cut of an anklet whilst in field hunting, etc., for some reason.
The main disadvantage is the slit in the jess, so if flying is to be considered, a refit with Aylmeri and flying jesses is essential.
Yes I still use them for most of the above, specialy youngsters, fresh out of chambers, theres plenty I have to do on my own, I have only flown with them really, on my eagle, are the anklets were refering to just ,false almeri?
Old 13-05-2006, 06:55 PM
Gary Joynt
Brancher

I use false aylmeri anklets, with a flying jess passed through the eyes to hold them together.
Never had a problem with them, although I can't compare them to other types as they are the only ones I've used.
Old 15-05-2006, 02:21 AM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venividevenatio
For shortwings I will use nothing else as a rule, the remedy to the swivel slit issue is simply not to put one in