Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Mentors, Courses & Apprenticeships > Cornwall

Old 05-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Game & Pursuit Falcon UK

Default Re: looking for a mentor

Hmmmm a course without flying a bird. Im sceptical but may be proved quite wrong.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Alex Brown
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by K View Post
Do you get to handle and fly birds on this course Archer???
thankfully having found a mentor, I was kinda thrown in at the deepend. Met up with him just as he was getting Isla out of the aviary after the moult so went through the full manning period as well as training. So if you can find a mentor you will learn much more than a course. IMHO.

I might just have been very lucky with the meeting Ron.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Paul & Amanda
Chick

Would have loved to do the course at Yarak's but the Mrs is on the course with me which would have made cost etc prohibitive.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Passage

Ben if you do the course at yarak I beleive that he is always on hand for you as this is his follow up on any course so then turning into a mentor to help you further along the way. It isn't a case of give us your money and off you go.

I haven't experienced the course myself but have heard very good reports about the place and himself.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelJakki View Post
Ben if you do the course at yarak I beleive that he is always on hand for you as this is his follow up on any course so then turning into a mentor to help you further along the way. It isn't a case of give us your money and off you go.

I haven't experienced the course myself but have heard very good reports about the place and himself.
Just to clarify the above post, that information is correct and you can phone John at any time if you have a problem, and if he can't help with advice on the phone then you can go there with your bird for the advice. Top guy and place.

Colin
Old 05-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Egg

i know from reading posts on the forum Yaraks is now the one for me...
im sure there are many other VERY good trainers out there but after speaking to john... im sold...
B...
Old 05-01-2007, 10:38 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer View Post
Hi Ben,
Im'e just up the road from you in sunny Devon. I am doing a falconry course at the moment which is excellent, also loads of books and DVDs (cheap on Ebay). Check out your local falconry club, it will give you a chance to meet the members and their birds.
Good luck, Archer.
Where dya live archer??..I'm in sunny newton abbot!! Is it h.m's course you're doing...in galmpton!!????
Old 06-01-2007, 11:05 AM
Paul & Amanda
Chick

Mikey,

Yes, I had the pleasure of spending time with your beautiful 'Blue' on Thursday. Really enjoying the course and meeting all you folk.

Paul
Old 06-01-2007, 11:31 AM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by K View Post
Hmmmm a course without flying a bird. Im sceptical but may be proved quite wrong.
I don't know about the course that archer is taking with h.m. but I do know there are a lot of evening class courses available at the moment. The thing to watch out for is how they are described. I know some are calling them full tuition courses and this is , in my opinion, not correct as I don't feel you can learn everything necessary in 10 weeks of an evening class, especially as the time flying the birds is limited. There are many evening courses that are more correctly called raptor management courses and they specify that you will NOT learn enough to own and train your bird but they teach all the basics and you do get the opportunity to go out at weekends flying with the birds. This gives you a good taster and you meet like minded people over a period of time and is ideal for discovering if this is really for you. Then if you are happy that you wish to continue with becoming a falconer, you can book into a one to one 2 day course to complete your training. The cost of these evening classes is far less than a full course and many allow you to pay weekly, so it is well worth while taking and doesn't commit you to a full course. Many of the good ones will also include an examination and certificate at the end. Just check out what they are stating you will get from it, that is the key.
Another good point with these evening and weekend classes is that you meet others of the same like as yourself and form many friendships that last. Not everyone wants to join a club and they can get a bit cliquey so this is an alternative way of finding friends who share your interest.
Basically, I am saying, horses for courses, find what suits your time and your pocket. If you are sure and you can afford it, go for the full week course. If you want to test the water at less cost, go for an evening or weekend class.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Paul & Amanda
Chick

Spot on Misty, very well explained.