Falconry Forum (IFF)


Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > EQUIPMENT & HOUSING > Bells & Leather Equipment

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 18-03-2007, 10:15 AM
HawkerDiverGal's Avatar
HawkerDiverGal HawkerDiverGal is offline
Passage
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 758
Default Re: bewits

I use a version of bewits: instead of using buttons, I use bevits to attach them to the leg. It is separate from the ankle, set above it. I have found that the bells touch the toes a lot less than attaching them to the grommet. I used the traditional style bewits for a while, but discovered that in time, they hung too low for my comfort. With the bevits, I can make them tight enough that they do not hang. I have been very happy using this method, and converted a couple of other falconers as well.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 18-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Ostringer's Avatar
Ostringer Ostringer is offline
Brancher
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: clovelly north devon
Posts: 272
Default Re: bewits

I punch a small hole in the anklets near the eyelets and fix bell with a very small cable tie used this method for years without any problems i dont think you should ever secure bells around the birds legs with just a cable tie danger of it tightening around the hawks leg,a leather bewitt is a must
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 18-03-2007, 11:43 AM
Gaz's Avatar
Gaz Gaz is offline
Passage
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bristol
Posts: 4,145
Default Re: bewits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostringer View Post
i punch a small hole in the anklets near the eyelets and fix bell with a very small cable tie used this method for years without any problems i dont think you should ever secure bells around the birds legs with just a cable tie danger of it tightening around the hawks leg,a leather bewitt is a must
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 18-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Pitbull's Avatar
Pitbull Pitbull is offline
Haggard
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: St Andrews
Posts: 5,131
Default Re: bewits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostringer View Post
i punch a small hole in the anklets near the eyelets and fix bell with a very small cable tie used this method for years without any problems i dont think you should ever secure bells around the birds legs with just a cable tie danger of it tightening around the hawks leg,a leather bewitt is a must
Same here.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 18-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Sophie's Avatar
Sophie Sophie is offline
Moderator
Passage
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 3,855
Default Re: bewits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostringer View Post
i punch a small hole in the anklets near the eyelets and fix bell with a very small cable tie used this method for years without any problems i dont think you should ever secure bells around the birds legs with just a cable tie danger of it tightening around the hawks leg,a leather bewitt is a must
Yer of course i secure mine round the eyelet of the anklet not directly to the birds legs sorry for not making that clear!!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 18-03-2007, 03:08 PM
Dave G's Avatar
Dave G Dave G is offline
David Goodwin
Haggard
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: where the heart is
Posts: 14,162
Default Re: bewits

leather bewits for me button type but ive also punched a hole in the anklet and used small cable ties ?? but bewits are best
__________________
Best things in life are free.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 18-03-2007, 11:01 PM
Bones Bones is offline
Paul
Passage
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Somewhere only i know
Posts: 3,657
Default Re: bewits

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeoHarrisHawk View Post
leather bewits for me button type but ive also punched a hole in the anklet and used small cable ties ?? but bewits are best
I take it youll be needing me to make some more this season then mate lol

PAUL
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bewits

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.