Falconry Forum (IFF)


Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > General Falconry & Bird Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 20-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Andystevens1979's Avatar
Andystevens1979 Andystevens1979 is offline
Brancher
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: coleshill,west midlands
Posts: 178
Default Bewits or cable ties??

Hi there,im about to mount new leg bells on my male red tail,ive mounted with traditional bewits but he can work them free after a few hard pulls,he has never been belled before,i would rather leg bells than tail mount as his telemetry is in a backpack style mount and i dont want to much causing hinderence.Would cable ties be an option zipped around the aylmeri?some people have told me to avoid this option but i cant see what the problem is as its not directly in contact with the birds leg???please help
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Pearl Pearl is offline
Mark
Haggard
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ncnc
Posts: 16,146
Default Re: Bewits or cable ties??

You could try a electric cable sleeve like an earth run the cable tie down it cut a half moon in the sleeve and place the bell on this , the reason for the sleeve is the cable tie cannot be pulled tight by the bird and injure it just a thought
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Andystevens1979's Avatar
Andystevens1979 Andystevens1979 is offline
Brancher
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: coleshill,west midlands
Posts: 178
Default Re: Bewits or cable ties??

Cheers mate,i was thinking of sleeving in this way as you stated cheers again buddy.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Pearl Pearl is offline
Mark
Haggard
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ncnc
Posts: 16,146
Default Re: Bewits or cable ties??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andystevens1979 View Post
cheers mate,i was thinking of sleeving in this way as you stated cheers again buddy.
No problem mate ive used it in the past with no issues atvb mark
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Dan Bray's Avatar
Dan Bray Dan Bray is offline
Dan
Passage
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 4,387
Default Re: Bewits or cable ties??

I would do away with leg bells all together and just have a single bell on the decks. I hate bells around the feet
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20-12-2012, 07:06 PM
Matty Bird's Avatar
Matty Bird Matty Bird is offline
Matthew
Passage
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St.Helens, wish it was Scotland though!
Posts: 2,333
Default Re: Bewits or cable ties??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andystevens1979 View Post
hi there,im about to mount new leg bells on my male red tail,ive mounted with traditional bewits but he can work them free after a few hard pulls,he has never been belled before,i would rather leg bells than tail mount as his telemetry is in a backpack style mount and i dont want to much causing hinderence.Would cable ties be an option zipped around the aylmeri?some people have told me to avoid this option but i cant see what the problem is as its not directly in contact with the birds leg???please help
If it was a falcon then I would say don't use button bewits because they are prone to biting them off. I have always used button bewits on red tails, harris's gosses and spars and never had a problem. I also attatch my transmitters to the birds leg with a button bewit.

Atb matty
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Pearl Pearl is offline
Mark
Haggard
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ncnc
Posts: 16,146
Default Re: Bewits or cable ties??

Tail mounts can be a hazard dan i had my falcon hung up in a tree by the spring clip how the centre decks never came out ill know as she was holding a crow at the time
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 20-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Andystevens1979's Avatar
Andystevens1979 Andystevens1979 is offline
Brancher
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: coleshill,west midlands
Posts: 178
Thumbs up Re: Bewits or cable ties??

Yea i recon the button bewit would be the best option gonna make some up now and get em on him,i dnt think he will pull the button through as easy as the traditional bewit.thanks
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 20-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Dan Bray's Avatar
Dan Bray Dan Bray is offline
Dan
Passage
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 4,387
Default Re: Bewits or cable ties??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
tail mounts can be a hazard dan i had my falcon hung up in a tree by the spring clip how the centre decks never came out ill know as she was holding a crow at the time
I'm well aware of the hazards Mark if the tail mount is fitted badly or the wrong transmitter used.

- dont glue the mount on, just use cable ties. This way the whole mount will slide off if snagged leaving the decks in place. I had it happen twice with my first bird when using an unsuitable transmitter that snagged more times than I can remember.

- Use a proper transmitter, marshall have got it right with the micro, scout and powermax. There is no gap inbetween the body and the clip which creates the perfect snagging point. Its as if some are designed to purposly have this snagging point.

-Lastly tie the bell onto the mount using 2-3lb fishing line. This way the bell will break free if caught up.

If you do all these I cant see any hazards. I think having a bell on the feet is worse. Atteched vai a bewit its going to take some real force to break away is snagged badly, possible breaking the hawks leg. Also I dont like the idea of anything around the hawks feet that can get in the way when they are footing quarry.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 20-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Pearl Pearl is offline
Mark
Haggard
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ncnc
Posts: 16,146
Default Re: Bewits or cable ties??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bray View Post
I'm well aware of the hazards Mark if the tail mount is fitted badly or the wrong transmitter used.

- dont glue the mount on, just use cable ties. This way the whole mount will slide off if snagged leaving the decks in place. I had it happen twice with my first bird when using an unsuitable transmitter that snagged more times than I can remember.

- Use a proper transmitter, marshall have got it right with the micro, scout and powermax. There is no gap inbetween the body and the clip which creates the perfect snagging point. Its as if some are designed to purposly have this snagging point.

-Lastly tie the bell onto the mount using 2-3lb fishing line. This way the bell will break free if caught up.

If you do all these I cant see any hazards. I think having a bell on the feet is worse. Atteched vai a bewit its going to take some real force to break away is snagged badly, possible breaking the hawks leg. Also I dont like the idea of anything around the hawks feet that can get in the way when they are footing quarry.
Thanks for the advice
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bewits, cable, ties

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.