Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > General Falconry & Bird Talk

Old 20-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Brancher

Default Bewits or cable ties??

Hi there,im about to mount new leg bells on my male red tail,ive mounted with traditional bewits but he can work them free after a few hard pulls,he has never been belled before,i would rather leg bells than tail mount as his telemetry is in a backpack style mount and i dont want to much causing hinderence.Would cable ties be an option zipped around the aylmeri?some people have told me to avoid this option but i cant see what the problem is as its not directly in contact with the birds leg???please help
Old 20-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Mark
Haggard

Default Re: Bewits or cable ties??

You could try a electric cable sleeve like an earth run the cable tie down it cut a half moon in the sleeve and place the bell on this , the reason for the sleeve is the cable tie cannot be pulled tight by the bird and injure it just a thought
Old 20-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Brancher

Cheers mate,i was thinking of sleeving in this way as you stated cheers again buddy.
Old 20-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Mark
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andystevens1979 View Post
cheers mate,i was thinking of sleeving in this way as you stated cheers again buddy.
No problem mate ive used it in the past with no issues atvb mark
Old 20-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Dan
Passage

I would do away with leg bells all together and just have a single bell on the decks. I hate bells around the feet
Old 20-12-2012, 07:06 PM
Matthew
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andystevens1979 View Post
hi there,im about to mount new leg bells on my male red tail,ive mounted with traditional bewits but he can work them free after a few hard pulls,he has never been belled before,i would rather leg bells than tail mount as his telemetry is in a backpack style mount and i dont want to much causing hinderence.Would cable ties be an option zipped around the aylmeri?some people have told me to avoid this option but i cant see what the problem is as its not directly in contact with the birds leg???please help
If it was a falcon then I would say don't use button bewits because they are prone to biting them off. I have always used button bewits on red tails, harris's gosses and spars and never had a problem. I also attatch my transmitters to the birds leg with a button bewit.

Atb matty
Old 20-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Mark
Haggard

Tail mounts can be a hazard dan i had my falcon hung up in a tree by the spring clip how the centre decks never came out ill know as she was holding a crow at the time
Old 20-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Brancher

Thumbs up Re: Bewits or cable ties??

Yea i recon the button bewit would be the best option gonna make some up now and get em on him,i dnt think he will pull the button through as easy as the traditional bewit.thanks
Old 20-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Dan
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
tail mounts can be a hazard dan i had my falcon hung up in a tree by the spring clip how the centre decks never came out ill know as she was holding a crow at the time
I'm well aware of the hazards Mark if the tail mount is fitted badly or the wrong transmitter used.

- dont glue the mount on, just use cable ties. This way the whole mount will slide off if snagged leaving the decks in place. I had it happen twice with my first bird when using an unsuitable transmitter that snagged more times than I can remember.

- Use a proper transmitter, marshall have got it right with the micro, scout and powermax. There is no gap inbetween the body and the clip which creates the perfect snagging point. Its as if some are designed to purposly have this snagging point.

-Lastly tie the bell onto the mount using 2-3lb fishing line. This way the bell will break free if caught up.

If you do all these I cant see any hazards. I think having a bell on the feet is worse. Atteched vai a bewit its going to take some real force to break away is snagged badly, possible breaking the hawks leg. Also I dont like the idea of anything around the hawks feet that can get in the way when they are footing quarry.
Old 20-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Mark
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bray View Post
I'm well aware of the hazards Mark if the tail mount is fitted badly or the wrong transmitter used.

- dont glue the mount on, just use cable ties. This way the whole mount will slide off if snagged leaving the decks in place. I had it happen twice with my first bird when using an unsuitable transmitter that snagged more times than I can remember.

- Use a proper transmitter, marshall have got it right with the micro, scout and powermax. There is no gap inbetween the body and the clip which creates the perfect snagging point. Its as if some are designed to purposly have this snagging point.

-Lastly tie the bell onto the mount using 2-3lb fishing line. This way the bell will break free if caught up.

If you do all these I cant see any hazards. I think having a bell on the feet is worse. Atteched vai a bewit its going to take some real force to break away is snagged badly, possible breaking the hawks leg. Also I dont like the idea of anything around the hawks feet that can get in the way when they are footing quarry.
Thanks for the advice