Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > INTRODUCTIONS & FORUM GUIDANCE > Mentors, Courses & Apprenticeships > Cornwall

Old 22-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Brancher

Default Beginners courses - Cornwall

Ok what do you look for in a course ?
There are lots of people "running" courses on a 1 to 1 basis but what should i look for ?
I live in North Cornwall so will have to travel where ever i go.
Has anyone been on a course around here ? What Questions should i ask - to determined if they are genuine or "cowboys".
It cost alot of money to do a course and set your self up - which is a deteriant to those not 100% committed, but i am not in a position to throw money away.

Any help, advise, recomendations would be very gratefully received.
Thank you.
Kym
Old 22-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Marc
Passage

Default Re: Beginners courses.

You will learn a lot more if you find the right friend to be a mentor

Its impossible to find a good course through word of mouth on here.
Far too many teams of folk in competition

Personally i dont agree in courses, Its not a computer.

Nothing beats a friend to follow.
He wont have a super hero personality thats trying to sell you something constantly.
Old 22-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Tod
Passage

Have,to agree with posts so far kym,although I have worked for a centre and did run the courses,but its a bit like lure swinging at the game fairs.it aint falconry,if we lived closer I would gladly mentor you,if you cant find a decent guy close,read watch dvd videos and choose a bird that is a bit forgiving just to get you used to handling a hawk hope this helps,if its in your blood you will get there.
tone,
Old 22-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Passage

Find a mentor
Old 22-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Dean Leadon
Haggard

Do your theory well, then your practical,forget courses!
Old 22-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Brancher

Good luck with finding a mentor! I would agree with previous posts, many courses are set up as an extra income for the falconry centre rather than a real grounding for a would-be falconer,(aimed at tourists or regular customers as a hands-on session) they are however a good way to test the temperature of the water.
Read a good basic book such as 'Falconry and Hawking' by Philip Glasier, which is a common sense guide to falconry. see if you can find a local falconry club and try and hook up with a local falconer.
Old 22-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Egg

I have been looking into the same thing and there is a center over your way ish that is not open to the public and runs various courses and apprenticeship type roles over 6-12 months depending on your degree of attendance.

I looked into then a few years back when I was first trying to gauge how interested my daughter really was and they came recommended back then. I did speak with the owner for well over an hour on the phone and was left with a very positive vibe about the place.

I am not going to post the name here and open up a possible slating as I dont feel this will be a fair thing to do. If you are interested then drop me a PM and I will happily tell you who they are and you can do your own digging around and make your own decision.

They also offer full back up for anyone who attends the center afterwards.

Although I have been lucky enough to find someone to mentor me through this site so hopefully you will too

Carl
Old 22-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Paul Hill
Passage

I disagree do a course with someone that can teach!

A mentor may have the best intentions but has no structured method or will skip tons of basics
Old 22-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Marc
Passage

Remember back to your school days

Good teachers were rare..
Falconers that can teach are even harder to find

With a Mentor, you follow, watch, (rinse & repeat)
Falconry is too over priced in my opinion, and spending ú300 on 5 days is not money well spent.

You can put that to good use in petrol going to see people & watching them actually do it

There is far more involved than taking a bird from the weathering, walking down the path & flying it glove to glove in the flying arena

In all walks of life courses are there to fine tune Technique after years of active interest, taking you to the "Next level"
be it Skiing, IT SKILLS, Photographic ect

But few are indepth enough to cover all those trouble areas
Which in general conversation are covered most days with a mentor

Good Teachers are one thing, people who can learn are another
One technique that everyone does well in, is slow methodical repeatitive actions.

Which can be gained by following field meets & local falconers
I always feel its best to suck knowledge from as many people as you can to establish a ballanced non bias opinion.

One of the two most valued skills a falconer can have is the ability to ignor the rubbish & filter the good... together with comon sense ect.

Falconry is about access to everyone and should not have a price
We should help each other, & do our best to recruit new supporters

If the Mentor system didnt work in the US, they would still be stuck on lantra style.
Old 22-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail View Post
Remember back to your school days

Good teachers were rare..
Falconers that can teach are even harder to find

With a Mentor, you follow, watch, (rinse & repeat)
Falconry is too over priced in my opinion, and spending ú300 on 5 days is not money well spent.

You can put that to good use in petrol going to see people & watching them actually do it

There is far more involved than taking a bird from the weathering, walking down the path & flying it glove to glove in the flying arena

In all walks of life courses are there to fine tune Technique after years of active interest, taking you to the "Next level"
be it Skiing, IT SKILLS, Photographic ect

But few are indepth enough to cover all those trouble areas
Which in general conversation are covered most days with a mentor

Good Teachers are one thing, people who can learn are another
One technique that everyone does well in, is slow methodical repeatitive actions.

Which can be gained by following field meets & local falconers
I always feel its best to suck knowledge from as many people as you can to establish a ballanced non bias opinion.

One of the two most valued skills a falconer can have is the ability to ignor the rubbish & filter the good... together with comon sense ect.

Falconry is about access to everyone and should not have a price
We should help each other, & do our best to recruit new supporters

If the Mentor system didnt work in the US, they would still be stuck on lantra style.
Good post, theres so many 'courses' out there that are nothing more than 4-5 experience days in a row! Obviously there are exceptions with some centres running excellant courses from what ive heard from people who have attended. I learnt through reading books watching dvd's then getting a mentor. However my mentor is now running courses on a word of mouth basis so its not an income just a means of earning some money for his time.