Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 18-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Default Re: Spike Hardcore Hawkers Male Gos

Only have 4 outings to speak of over the last week time escapes me more each season it seems with a growing family and a growing business,
1St outing flew really well going the distance on all flights bound to a Hen up in the air but lost his grip on the way down. 2nd outing bolted a few Rabbits with the Ferret 4 slips in total killed the last one an extremely difficult day very windy. 3rd outing first slip a cock bird pushed out of some rough by the Dog he was right with this bird from the off they had some 80 meters to go before they rose up the face of a large wood this was excellent to watch as they picked their way up the face of the canopy and as they disappeared through the canopy Spike was almost touching the end of the pheasants tail, it only took me 2 mins to find them and the old cock was dead. 2nd slip and I slip on the sound of wings but a Hen dives back into cover Spike tree's then she decides to flush still a good flight ensues with the hen rising up to the canopy and Spike cutting his way through found them around 90 meters into the wood once again he had killed the pheasant. 4th outing only produced a couple of slips which he flew lacklustre as I fed on the heavy side on the 2 birds from the previous day. Spike is currently flying at around the 1lb 12 3/4oz he gets verticals each day up the steps which from what I have seen over the last few outings his fitness is being maintained by this. I would have time to fly daily in a very large wood near to my office but at the moment the cover is still to thick for practical hawking in there I may have to wait a few more weeks until that is a possibility. Still enjoying it when I do make it out which is what it is all about really.
Old 18-11-2013, 05:23 PM
Haggard

Stick at it steve, the season is very short, and cherish every slip that you get him back on the fist.
Keith
Old 19-11-2013, 08:54 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Barker View Post
Stick at it steve, the season is very short, and cherish every slip that you get him back on the fist.
Keith
Definitely sticking at it Keith, to be honest now time is tight I feel less pressure for Spike to perform and feel happy with what I get, I used to be die hard and keep going and going until he killed, he does fly very well considering the amount of field time he gets but he did have a very good grounding in his first couple of seasons which makes a big difference. My plan is to get into that big wood daily when the cover dies down probably 150 acres I would say, plenty of Rabbits in there the odd pheasant ect but it also gets a very decent number of Woodcock which hopefully now Millie is pointing well I may be able to put a couple in the bag, (easier said than done) but should be fun whilst we are trying.
Old 28-01-2014, 09:02 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Hard to believe I have not updated this thread since November!! How time flies! Spike has continued to fly really well when I have managed to get out, I have still been maintaining the verticals during the week on none flying days which has served us well. I have not kept a record of kills whatsoever for the first season in 27 which is quite liberating as I found in previous years I would be chasing numbers, I would say he has killed around 45 + Pheasants as well as a few Rabbits Moorhens and a single woodcock which he caught from the fist a few weeks back which considering time constraints and weather is really pretty good. During the last couple of outings he has killed 3 Cock birds from 5 slips all good flights on fit January birds so cant ask for more than that, one was especially good with Spike taking a Cock bird out of the air in fair flight right over the head of the keeper showering him in feathers he was a big old boy weighing in at 3lb 14oz dead within a few seconds in Spikes feet I will continue to fly through February to make up for lost time, Spike has been flying his best at 1lb 13.5oz and my young Bitch Millie has had a fantastic season making the team complete once more.
Old 28-01-2014, 10:10 AM
Brancher

Hi steve,any recent pics of spike?he sure is a handsome goshawk
Old 28-01-2014, 10:18 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lavery View Post
hi steve,any recent pics of spike?he sure is a handsome goshawk
I have some on my phone! Just need to download to the pc at some point!

Recent pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachmentFO1QTODQ.jpg (95.9 KB, 208 views)
Old 28-01-2014, 02:18 PM
William
Brancher

Steve,it's been a pleasure to see him hunt,hope that next season we can get out a few more times.
Will
Old 28-01-2014, 03:02 PM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saunders View Post
Steve,it's been a pleasure to see him hunt,hope that next season we can get out a few more times.
Will
Thanks Will, I am sure we will get out on some field meets next season! Speak soon.
Old 28-01-2014, 06:46 PM
John formerly It's Alright Ma
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Hawker View Post
Hard to believe I have not updated this thread since November!! How time flies! Spike has continued to fly really well when I have managed to get out, I have still been maintaining the verticals during the week on none flying days which has served us well. I have not kept a record of kills whatsoever for the first season in 27 which is quite liberating as I found in previous years I would be chasing numbers, I would say he has killed around 45 + Pheasants as well as a few Rabbits Moorhens and a single woodcock which he caught from the fist a few weeks back which considering time constraints and weather is really pretty good. During the last couple of outings he has killed 3 Cock birds from 5 slips all good flights on fit January birds so cant ask for more than that, one was especially good with Spike taking a Cock bird out of the air in fair flight right over the head of the keeper showering him in feathers he was a big old boy weighing in at 3lb 14oz dead within a few seconds in Spikes feet I will continue to fly through February to make up for lost time, Spike has been flying his best at 1lb 13.5oz and my young Bitch Millie has had a fantastic season making the team complete once more.
Good one Steve, it's been a strange season in many ways I think, glad Spike had a good season again though, I'm sure he's going from strength to strength, glad the new dog worked out as well, is all good
Old 28-01-2014, 06:56 PM
Passage

Here is a couple of pictures of Spike last season and this season while Steve has been giving me a hand with the Gos and falcon days.

Pictures of spike this december on a hen Pheasant and in January on a rabbit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (90.5 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (94.7 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (100.4 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (95.9 KB, 153 views)