Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 29-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Passage

Default Re: Spike Hardcore Hawkers male Gos

Glad it's all coming together for you Steve, the best of luck with your charge from here on in mate.
Old 30-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Thanks Neil, look forward to meeting you at the Welsh meet!

Well weighed Spike when i got home and he had gained the 1/4oz back 1lb 11oz, his intake has really levelled off now, i have found that in the first week of flying and the subsequent weight loss its hard to keep weight on! i was feeding up to 7 skinned chicks per day, he is now maintaining weight on half that which tells me the base im at now is the lower end and nearly there. Initially things were good craned right up on the glove crest up no noise, as soon as he saw a Rabbit in the distance he left the fist with real venom and was making good ground up on the now fleeing Rabbit, unfortunately when he was 2/3 of the way there he spotted a sitter and switched to this but it was right outside a hole and he just missed getting a foot to it, excellent re-call from a high oak no muppetry on the lure and off we go again, he had two further flights but on the second one he definately could have caught but he pulled up and treed after this re-call and a bit of food in him he started to be a tit again noisey and unsettled on the glove, on the walk back to the truck we spotted a myxi Rabbit i was in two minds to obtain a kill with his attitude but thought a kill is better than no kill so i slipped him, it did run quite well and in the end done Spike a favour as he hit it in the rear end and was getting dragged around big time but he held on and transfured to its head, he was good on the kill as i think he had used a lot of energy and aggression up keeping hold of the Rabbit, gave a small crop then switched to a skinned chick and once again it went perfectly so a result in one important area anyway. I think he needs to be at the 1lb 10 1/2 mark and that is where im heading for today! im enjoying it now he is improving and am sure when his weight is spot on he is going to be a deadly little beggar Also on the noise front, if he cant see me he is now pretty much quiet most of the time.
Old 30-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Ashley Barnes
Haggard

Nice one steve, im enjoying your thread many thanks for doing one.
Old 30-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Thanks Ash, i was dreading starting my season this early but i am now enjoying our daily outings, mind you the weather is the bane of our lives at the moment with many heavy showers and its been real windy also, which is all good for fitness calling him good distances into the wind, mind you if it were not for the wind and rain it would be 25c instead which is also not very condusive for flying shortwings still im sure when the season proper arrives all this early hassle will be long forgotten.
Old 30-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Trevor Fowles
Passage

Good thread Steve, glad you started it! Spike is a cool name, left up to 3 kids under 7 he could have been called anything
Sounds like it's all going well and the "muppetry" as you put it is stopping.
Old 30-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Goshawker
Passage

Nice write ups Steve..

Atb Stu..
Old 31-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Thanks Trev, Stu, Well weighed Spike again when i got in from work and was surprised to see he had lost more than i thought he would on the Rabbit crop he had the evening before, he was 1lb 10oz on the button and to be honest felt a tad sharp ( for an Imprint ) but boy what a difference he was almost like a different bird, as soon as we left the Truck he was craning right up on tip toes crest up bobbing away with no noise, the very first sign of a retreating white scut and he was away hard and fast in all he had 5 slips and each one was total commitment constant wing rowing and cover crashing behind his target. his re-call was as always very good but with less noise and he was not bothered by what my hands were doing either, the only thing was a slight increase in possesion on the lure which diminished after he had 2 re-calls and some food in his crop, one flight is worthy of discription, i slipped Spike at a Rabbit which was down hill around 80 metres away but i knew its Warren was up hill around 160 metres further on, he flew the downhill part using gravity but when the Rabbit started to change gear for the uphill section Spike really put the hammer down and his little wings went into overdrive and he was gaining all the way up the hill with Aidy and i cheering him on he reached his target his feet came out and he slammed the ground in a big puff of dust just as the Rabbit disapeard down a hidden bolt hole very unlucky to say the least but a glimpse of the exciting times ahead with Spike.
Old 31-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Passage

Like it Steve, I can well visualize that last flight with Spike .
Old 31-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Dan
Passage

Nice one mate, sounds like he's going to do the business.How aidys female coming along now.
Old 31-07-2009, 07:25 PM
John Tooke
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Hawker View Post
Thanks Trev, Stu, Well weighed Spike again when i got in from work and was surprised to see he had lost more than i thought he would on the Rabbit crop he had the evening before, he was 1lb 10oz on the button and to be honest felt a tad sharp ( for an Imprint ) but boy what a difference he was almost like a different bird, as soon as we left the Truck he was craning right up on tip toes crest up bobbing away with no noise, the very first sign of a retreating white scut and he was away hard and fast in all he had 5 slips and each one was total commitment constant wing rowing and cover crashing behind his target. his re-call was as always very good but with less noise and he was not bothered by what my hands were doing either, the only thing was a slight increase in possesion on the lure which diminished after he had 2 re-calls and some food in his crop, one flight is worthy of discription, i slipped Spike at a Rabbit which was down hill around 80 metres away but i knew its Warren was up hill around 160 metres further on, he flew the downhill part using gravity but when the Rabbit started to change gear for the uphill section Spike really put the hammer down and his little wings went into overdrive and he was gaining all the way up the hill with Aidy and i cheering him on he reached his target his feet came out and he slammed the ground in a big puff of dust just as the Rabbit disapeard down a hidden bolt hole very unlucky to say the least but a glimpse of the exciting times ahead with Spike.
Sounds as though your getting close to where you need to be in terms of weight control, often the problem with imprints is people try to fly them over weight as they allow for more flexibility. I find tighter weight control at first allows you to get a more positive response also allowing you to move through the immature stages quicker, better than an extra once on the scales and in the hawking diary. This weight can be gained later as the muscle builds and the hawk has moved on in maturity, sounds like your doing well hardcore moving along nice. Finding that weight when the imprint is beyond all the bluff of display and is more interested in gaining a meal is a very important time, good luck hardcore.