Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 18-12-2017, 11:31 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Default Re: Spike Hardcore Hawkers Male Gos

Not much to report what with weather work and abysmal quarry numbers it's a struggle to keep going but after 30 years this Falconry habit is very hard to break still we have had a few outings and he has flown well considering, still only finding Adult Cock Birds have not seen a Hen at all since I was in Wales 5 weeks ago. He has bound to 5 in total recently but not kept hold of them which is a mystery as his Talons are needle sharp Still this Saturday the tide turned for the better. Not long out of the truck and Millie showed scent working some wild bird cover, as she neared the end a Cock bird bumped from the cover, the slip was a long one and I don't think the Pheasant knew he was being chased initially as he was flap flap glide, Spike caught him up rapidly, the Pheasant then tried to put the afterburners on but he had left it too late with the Gos being right on him, his only recourse was to turn sharp left and try to make a reed filled ditch where Spike slammed him. When I got to them Spike must have hit him hard as the Pheasant had a broken wing I despatched and left him to take a good gorge, this kill restored everyone,s faith both mine and Spikes. We will continue as best we can and hope that Rabbit numbers improve for next season as they really are my weekday bread and butter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0456.jpg (78.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0464.jpg (65.9 KB, 78 views)
Old 18-12-2017, 08:12 PM
Passage

Congratulations on the cockbird Steve, it is hard to maintain the enthusiasm when game is hard to find. Atb Chris
Old 19-12-2017, 07:32 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSquance View Post
Congratulations on the cockbird Steve, it is hard to maintain the enthusiasm when game is hard to find. Atb Chris
Thanks Chris, I still enjoy just being out, it's good therapy from the stresses of life, and it only takes a success to be back in the game. I feel for the bird though as I know from previous seasons how devastating he can be when on song. I am really thankful he will still take Cock Birds in his ninth season because if he refused them we would be in trouble.
Old 19-12-2017, 11:01 AM
Maurice Jones
Passage

Well done Steve
Old 19-12-2017, 02:23 PM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly View Post
Well done Steve
Thanks Maurice. Steve.
Old 19-12-2017, 04:32 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Nice one on the Pheasant Steve, good to see he's getting some sport. Any idea why the Hen's aren't around?

Happy Hawking,

Bradley
Old 20-12-2017, 07:43 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradazTheFalconer View Post
Nice one on the Pheasant Steve, good to see he's getting some sport. Any idea why the Hen's aren't around?

Happy Hawking,

Bradley
Hi Bradley, the Hen birds are all tucked up in the large woodland adjacent to this piece of ground at the moment, I used to have permission to hunt it but since the Old lady who owned it passed away her son in law who now owns it does not want anyone else in there Cock birds are territorial and this piece of ground is vast and open riddled with reed filled ditches so you find them dotted around protecting their ground from other Cocks.
Old 20-12-2017, 09:48 AM
Brancher

Hi Steve,
Glad you are still getting some sport and I must agree with you at the lack of hens this year,as you know I put down a lot of game this year and there must of been around 120 hens in the first lot of birds I released plus all the previous years hens and the wild ones,found a group of around thirty hens yesterday but they would'nt hole the point long enough to get the falcon up,good for a Goss though !!!

Had my first teal the other day and killed a Grey yesterday,weather has been poor for most of the season and I am packing in next week so I can put the Peregrines in early as they laid early last year.

I will be doing a few hawking days through Jan if you know anyone how may be intrested,longwings or Gosses only.

Hope you have a good Christmas and new year

Atb
Steve
Old 20-12-2017, 10:19 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Hi Steve,
Glad you are still getting some sport and I must agree with you at the lack of hens this year,as you know I put down a lot of game this year and there must of been around 120 hens in the first lot of birds I released plus all the previous years hens and the wild ones,found a group of around thirty hens yesterday but they would'nt hole the point long enough to get the falcon up,good for a Goss though !!!

Had my first teal the other day and killed a Grey yesterday,weather has been poor for most of the season and I am packing in next week so I can put the Peregrines in early as they laid early last year.

I will be doing a few hawking days through Jan if you know anyone how may be intrested,longwings or Gosses only.

Hope you have a good Christmas and new year

Atb
Steve
Hi Steve, yeah still getting out and about always thinking of packing in but I always live in hope that next season will be better! Still finding bits and bobs but as you know hit and miss days don't make for a bird on top of his game although he can still turn it on when it matters, I do a lot of exercise with him daily to keep him in tip top nick, I actually came across a covey of 9 wild Grey's last Saturday week which was nice to see, have not seen any on that ground for many years, I was going to pass them by but with things as they are I could not resist a flight, put in a good effort picking one out and going a long way but could not quite seal the deal. Good to hear from you Steve I wish Polly and yourself a Happy Christmas and a prosperous New year, you never know we may turn up for a couple of days at some point. Take care Steve speak soon.
Old 20-12-2017, 04:33 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Hawker View Post
Hi Bradley, the Hen birds are all tucked up in the large woodland adjacent to this piece of ground at the moment, I used to have permission to hunt it but since the Old lady who owned it passed away her son in law who now owns it does not want anyone else in there Cock birds are territorial and this piece of ground is vast and open riddled with reed filled ditches so you find them dotted around protecting their ground from other Cocks.
Hi Steve, I apologise in advance for maybe trying to teach my granny to suck eggs but have you got any feelers out, if there are a few birds there that find the feeders, they soon tell their friends and bring them round to tea. Anyway good luck and hope you find some more game. Atb Chris