Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 31-01-2018, 07:33 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Default Re: Spike Hardcore Hawkers Male Gos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisHawkMan_79 View Post
Sounds a cracker of a flight mate and any hunt you return home with a safe healthy hawk is that much better
Your not wrong Howard, plenty of scope for disaster in this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Alright Stevo,
Glad your getting some flights in at the pheasants,any rabbits about ?

How is Ade getting on? Still suffing his face I bet I spoke to him at Christmas and his foot sounded pretty bad from when he fell in that hole over here.

I finished my season at Christmas and put the peregrines in the pen early and all is looking very good with them,my ground is bubbling with ducks and the partridges are still in good numbers but most are paired so hopefully some young for next season.

Still got four freaky fowl left for when you come over again in October !!

My regards to Ade and l will give you a bell soon.

ATB
Steve
Hi Steve, Ade is still struggling big time with his leg, he has not managed to fly much since he returned from yours the second time around, he thinks he has a trapped nerve which is affecting his Calf, behind his knee and his Arse cheek on the same side he done his foot in. Hope things go well with the Peregrines and I look forward to visiting next season for some more Food, Hawking and plenty of laughs. Speak soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSquance View Post
Nice one Steve, the weather is terrible down here too, Wind and rain is relentless. Good luck with the remainder of your season. All the best Chris
Cheers Chris, another 10 or so days of flying and I will be done, not the greatest of seasons but I have still enjoyed getting out and after 31 years of Falconry I am in too deep to quit, hopefully next season I might see an improvement in Game numbers.
Ps, how is your Dog now? Improving hopefully!
Old 31-01-2018, 07:06 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Your getting some great action lately, looking good! Hope the last bit of the season is decent.

Happy Hawking,

Bradley
Old 31-01-2018, 11:49 PM
Passage

Thanks Steve, the dog finished her antibiotics this morning, and appears to be back to normal, although I haven't worked out yet. My friend Maurice, fly on here is still flying his male Gos so if the weather is okay at the weekend will probably work the dog for him and see how she gets on. He has a young GSP so will be good to get them out together.
All the best Chris
Old 12-02-2018, 10:33 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Well it's time to call it for this season, it has been the hardest season we have experienced for game numbers! The bag for the season is 18 Pheasant 2 Partridge and a Guinea Fowl, which is the lowest head count I have had from a full season since 1989 with my first Red tail. Still as I get older I appreciate numbers do not particularly tell the whole story. Within those kills I have seen some pretty impressive flying, and one thing is certain the harder things come the more they are appreciated ( God I must be getting old ) we have had a couple of outings since my last post and a few kills, I also ended the season taking a good brace on the very last day with the Hen he caught being a particularly stylish kill taking it a good 30+ feet up after a very strong flight. Spike continues to be an absolute joy to fly and very easy, simply point and shoot. Any way I look forward already to season 10 and hopefully better game numbers especially rabbits as this is the second season in a row where he has not caught 1 Rabbit! I have only seen 2 all winter. Couple of pics to finish this years record.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0514.jpg (86.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0521.jpg (70.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0529.jpg (59.0 KB, 63 views)
Old 12-02-2018, 05:59 PM
Harold James II
Passage

Congratulations on a successful and safe season numbers are just that numbers. Enjoying time spent doing what we love is what matters most and a healthy hawk in return
Old 12-02-2018, 06:36 PM
Passage

Congrats on another season safely seen through Steve.

It is a joy to fly a seasoned goshawk, point and go as you say.

atb
Mike
Old 12-02-2018, 08:58 PM
Passage

Well done Steve, I have enjoyed your thread and looking forward to your updates next season, I much prefer flying a seasoned hawk myself, i'm not a fan of training hawks or dogs come to that matter, and much prefer them when they are made. I find with the imprints that when they reach the magic number on the scales you just carry on from where you left off last season. I think these people that change their hawks more often and they change their underpants never get to see there potential as they just get better and better with age!!
Hope you have a good safe moult atb Chris
Old 13-02-2018, 07:39 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisHawkMan_79 View Post
Congratulations on a successful and safe season numbers are just that numbers. Enjoying time spent doing what we love is what matters most and a healthy hawk in return
Thanks Harold, it is nice to end the season safe and sound, especially after last season which ended with him having a near fatal window strike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaTeal'c View Post
Congrats on another season safely seen through Steve.

It is a joy to fly a seasoned goshawk, point and go as you say.

atb
Mike
Thanks Mike, hopefully many more happy seasons for us both, he will now go to a friends for his annual breeding Holiday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSquance View Post
Well done Steve, I have enjoyed your thread and looking forward to your updates next season, I much prefer flying a seasoned hawk myself, i'm not a fan of training hawks or dogs come to that matter, and much prefer them when they are made. I find with the imprints that when they reach the magic number on the scales you just carry on from where you left off last season. I think these people that change their hawks more often and they change their underpants never get to see there potential as they just get better and better with age!!
Hope you have a good safe moult atb Chris
Thanks Chris, I used to really enjoy getting a youngster going when days were less full and time was for burning, but with a busy life it's much better with an old hand. I do find though that conditioning is key with older birds especially Male Goshawks and Cock Pheasants as they can get set in their ways, although I might not get out as regularly nowadays I still put him through his paces daily with heavy creance pulls or high verticals, except Mondays when he has a rest day after an all you can eat Buffet on Sundays.