Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 04-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Default Re: Spike Hardcore Hawkers male Gos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malar View Post
Steve, I have kept out of this thread because I dont know alot about Gos' and imprinting them!
I have read every post and justed wanted to say I'm happy for you that last night went well
There are times, I know, when you have an ear splitting imprint hanging off you and you wonder how to fix it, how much you saved to buy it, how much of a prat will I look on a meet etc

With your experience mate and all the other chaps help, I'm sure you'll have one awesome hawk this, and many seasons to come.

Trev
Thanks trev, Im pretty confident of a good outcome! im just impatient when it comes to having things spot on which to be honest no one will acheive this end with an Imprint in two weeks. from the outside looking in things are fine according to Aidy who has been out with me each and every day! he said last night Spike is flying just fine mate and i would be pleased so far! He is remaining quiet for longer and longer now and to be honest i hardly hear him all day at work now if he cant see me. I need more close slips, but it's b.loody hard work with cover and the weather conditions at the moment, still failure was never an option open to me and i refuse to let a bird with a brain the size of a peanut get the better of me i will see this through for better or for worse, pretty much like marriage i suppose
Old 04-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Brancher

hi.
very nice looking bird.
Good luck with him.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Rob Howard
Passage

Sounds like your doing a grand job Steve.

Well done mate

Rob
Old 04-08-2009, 09:50 AM
LeesHawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Hawker View Post
Thanks trev, Im pretty confident of a good outcome! im just impatient when it comes to having things spot on which to be honest know one will acheive this end with an Imprint in two weeks. from the outside looking in things are fine according to Aidy who has been out with me each and every day! he said last night Spike is flying just fine mate and i would be pleased so far! He is remaining quiet for longer and longer now and to be honest i hardly hear him all day at work now if he cant see me. I need more close slips, but it's b.loody hard work with cover and the weather conditions at the moment, still failure was never an option open to me and i refuse to let a bird with a brain the size of a peanut get the better of me i will see this through for better or for worse, pretty much like marriage i suppose

Steve

You have nothing to worry about mate all he needs now is routine which you have sussed now and kills and hard flying. i think he will be a credit to you from start to finish of the season and that is down to your hard work, we only get out what we put in mate so some awsome stuff is due for you mate

Lee
Old 04-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Trevor Fowles
Passage

Quote:
Thanks trev, Im pretty confident of a good outcome! im just impatient when it comes to having things spot on which to be honest know one will acheive this end with an Imprint in two weeks. from the outside looking in things are fine according to Aidy who has been out with me each and every day! he said last night Spike is flying just fine mate and i would be pleased so far! He is remaining quiet for longer and longer now and to be honest i hardly hear him all day at work now if he cant see me. I need more close slips, but it's b.loody hard work with cover and the weather conditions at the moment, still failure was never an option open to me and i refuse to let a bird with a brain the size of a peanut get the better of me i will see this through for better or for worse, pretty much like marriage i suppose
So, basically he is doing really well and you are just hyper critical
That's what makes your birds better i suppose Steve, being your own critic does help iron out the problems!
Old 04-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Cheer's Lee, Rob, Trev, And Alex B. I am hyper critical! but if you put the daily effort in to the detrement of everything else including family life then you would expect excellence in the field and i expect nothing less to be honest, i have just walked past him and he is up to his old trick's this morning, but i know its due to him being an ounce up from what he will be this evening, and as i did with parent reared Goshawks! its pointless doing anything with a Hawk that is not hungry! i will just leave him alone until flying time, this male is definately tight on his correct flying weight and there is no chance of it being raised any time soon. I need cooler weather and game birds to put flesh on his bones and an end to the calling.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Tommy Miles
Passage

Hi Steve, this is still on track has a really good thread,great reading.ATVB TNM

Quote:
Cheer's Lee, Rob, Trev, And Alex B. I am hyper critical! but if you put the daily effort in to the detrement of everything else including family life then you would expect excellence in the field and i expect nothing less to be honest, i have just walked past him and he is up to his old trick's this morning, but i know its due to him being an ounce up from what he will be this evening, and as i did with parent reared Goshawks! its pointless doing anything with a Hawk that is not hungry! i will just leave him alone until flying time, this male is definately tight on his correct flying weight and there is no chance of it being raised any time soon. I need cooler weather and game birds to put flesh on his bones and an end to the calling.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:32 PM
John Tooke
Passage

Quote:
WK's, Lee, thanks for your input its all valued, Well last night he was 1lb 10oz on the button and so much better for it, plenty of get up and go without the juvanille behaviour we only had one little incident when the jesses slipped through my fingers as he bated, he landed on the floor around 4 metres away and as i went to pick him up he had a little dance around on my feet for a few seconds when he had finished i bent down and picked him up and he was then fine again, I also tried a different approach with the lure call, onced he had hit the lure i just stood back and let him get on with it, when he had finished the food on the lure i stood on the lure line and flicked just a chick leg out of reach he left the lure each time straight away without the cycle of possesion starting i then just picked him up and carried on, this method produced no mantling and no noise, It was my close proximity that started this possesive behaviour off which to be honest is a no brainer and i should have sussed it sooner! still i feel we really moved forward last night, In all Spike had 5 slips provided by the Ferret, and i know its early for Ferreting but we have young Rabbit's almost all year round here now so it makes no difference whether its August or December, he flew each and every one very hard but was thwarted by cover each time he however was not pulling up as they entered it but was crashing in right behind them. In all a productive evening and some good flights were seen which is what it's all about.
Just a thought Hardcore, but did you reward him well for all the get up and go he showed? I realise he didn't kill but this is probably down to issues like cover ect. The best thing is for the hawk to gain confidence at this stage and bags of effort with no reward does not do this. A kill in the bag for the end of the day for him to take his meal is a great thing, all you have to do is make sure he thinks he has killed it. A reward on the lure is not good enough if you are wanting to teach him the rewards of catching live game, they are two different sources and the hawk will know it. We would not go to work if at the end of the week/month we did not get paid.
Still seems like you are getting to grips with his weight and he seems to be improving all the time, good luck.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

About time i gave a little update on Spike! Spike has been flown every day and is getting fitter and stronger, at the lower weight i am now flying him at 1lb 9 1/4oz he has improved no end in the behaviour department the calling in the field has decreased also he has killed 7 Rabbits now which has obviously helped re-direct his aggression, i have stopped feeling his keel now and go by the scale and behaviour alone as he was to me for an imprint feeling pretty sharp and this fact was preventing me from dropping him to where he needs to be for consistant results, the other thing with his weight is the fact i have no experience of others flying Gary Almeida imprint males in the past so do not even have the slightest benchmark in relation to others flying weights, the aggresive behaviour around the perch has ceased at this new weight even though i have not moved the position of the perch as i am limited for shady spots where he is kept during the day, It has also helped in that others are now getting parent reared males going at very much lower weights than Spike and these birds had a similar top weight on collection so that has eased my mind, not just that but he still has bags of energy at the weight i am flying him at, he has also started to use his head as the second to last kill he took on the rear end and got a fair old bumpy ride until i got in to dispatch, last nights kill was a similar flight with him approaching from right behind his target he then shot out to the side swung back in again and hit it straight in the head stopping it dead, he is no longer bothered by me around the kill and although i am still wary he has not footed the glove etc for the last two kills and the mantling has also decreased significantly. The one problem i am having is after a kill his weight does rise once more into the problem zone but it is expected by me now and all he gets on these days is one real long call to the lure with a reduced ration fed to the side, his lure possesion is almost zero at the lower weight and the switch is fast and sweet, its tough going still though last night for example at 19.00 it was still 27c here, i am now confident that as the days shorten and the temperature drops i will see a different bird again! a focused killer with one thing on his mind! catch it kill it eat it.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Emma
Passage

Am glad for you that he is coming on well mate, am enjoying reading your progress. Em