Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FORUM SERVICES > FALCONRY REVIEWS & ARCHIVES > Books, Magazines, Videos, DVDs & Other!

Old 01-10-2016, 04:15 PM
An old hand on here!
Passage

Default Re: Jim Nelson: "Hoods, Hooding and Hoodmaking”?

...and it is...AWESOME
Old 01-10-2016, 04:40 PM
Paul MacDermot
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasha55403 View Post
...and it is...AWESOME
Hi Tasha, here is a question for you if you have read the book..... Does it have a section giving advice to a hooding novice about learning to hood? I have recently been in this position. It is a skill which is only really learnt by doing it, but the trouble is that a beginner is by definition unskilled, and thus likely to make a mess of things.If the book is as comprehensive as it is said to be I'd have thought this issue would be addressed? Paul
Old 01-10-2016, 07:45 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUsHilarius View Post
Hi Tasha, here is a question for you if you have read the book..... Does it have a section giving advice to a hooding novice about learning to hood? I have recently been in this position. It is a skill which is only really learnt by doing it, but the trouble is that a beginner is by definition unskilled, and thus likely to make a mess of things.If the book is as comprehensive as it is said to be I'd have thought this issue would be addressed? Paul
Hi Paul,

I don't have a copy yet either. But do you have a copy of Ronald Stevens' Observations on Modern falconry? Hard to beat in that respect.

Best wishes,

Tony.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:19 PM
Paul MacDermot
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony James View Post
Hi Paul,

I don't have a copy yet either. But do you have a copy of Ronald Stevens' Observations on Modern falconry? Hard to beat in that respect.

Best wishes,

Tony.
Thanks Tony,
Yes I have Observations, a brilliant book not least because the author goes into such detail and depth about every little thing.... it taught me about the thoughtful mindset.
But as a tutorial on hooding for the novice I would have to disagree with you! I always intended to follow his instructions, but when it actually came down to it I found I lacked the necessary dexterity and timing. It was clear from the start that if I continued with my clumsy efforts I'd only make things worse. I am referring to his advice about momentary uncovering and recovering the hawk's eyes in a dark room right at the beginning of training. His later instructions involving tidbits were much more easily put into practice by this novice.

This is what I did instead, post 10:

Http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showt...98#post2147798

How did you learn your hooding.... or was it so long ago that you can't remember? lol

Paul.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:14 PM
An old hand on here!
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulUsHilarius View Post
It's got an excellent section on hooding. 7 chapters and over 100 pages. You won't find anything as comprehensive anywhere else, lol. I would highly recommend it to all falconers, even the ones that have no interest in making hoods
Old 03-10-2016, 12:23 PM
Brancher

Just ordered my copy today. Have to admit I'm not too interested in making hoods (although you never know?), but being a competent hooder would be a real plus, instead of just trying to rely on steady hawks!
Old 03-10-2016, 05:39 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monti View Post
Hi,

Does anybody know the book of Jim Nelson: "Hoods, Hooding and Hoodmaking”?

Do you have any information of whether the book is already available, or do you know when it will be finished?

Thanks
Tobias
Hi Tobias,

Its available from Coch-y-Bonddu books, they also have a few copies of Observations on modern falconry, if any one's interested.