Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > RAPTOR BREEDERS & BREEDING > Breeding Register 2012

Old 13-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Doug Tricker
Passage

Default Re: Jackle Hawk/Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CotswoldRedtail View Post
Do we really need more hybrids Doug?
I take your point but this one would be something new and interesting.
Old 17-09-2013, 07:54 PM
Chick

Hi ,

Don't think a hybrid with a jackal and harris or red tail would be interresting . They are quite different in caracter and in flight .
And also , there are still breeders of jackals in Europe . There are two morphs of jackals , light and dark morph , and even mixing the dark and light , I find it not right .
Greetings
DF
Old 17-09-2013, 11:41 PM
Alex Matossian
Brancher

There was an Augur Buzzard for sale in Europe recently and, as they are closely related to Jackal Buzzards I believe, I enquired about it but it was already sold.
Old 18-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Barry Blyther
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CotswoldRedtail View Post
Do we really need more hybrids Doug?
No!
Barry
Old 20-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Egg

I flew a Female imprint, it was bred by a chap who had a breeding pair Newcastle way I think. This was about 8 years ago. There were young birds available in Europe last summer and they were selling for about ú2000 each
Old 01-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Barry Blyther
Passage

We had two. One came to us as a sub adult and an imprint. She was awful. Spiteful, lazy and generally unpleasant to be around. The same breeder produced young which the adults would not raise. We had Harris Hawks with young of the same age so to help out, we put the Jackal Buzzard chick with the Harris Hawks and they raised it fine. We leave our Harris chicks with parents in seclusion to 20 weeks, but at 12 weeks the Jackal just didn't get along with the family any more, so we removed it. Both birds were sold by the breeder and I delivered one for him (don't remember which) to a forum member down South.
They are not a sub species of Augur Buzzard (although this is a common stated error) but they are a fairly close relative. The Jackal scientific name is Buteo Rufofuscous.
They are attractive birds, and seem to have the right attitude which just needs directing for decent falconry. I would fly another if I could get a fully parent reared bird, raised by its own parents rather than foster birds as we did.
I don't think they are worth even half of the two grand mentioned apart from novelty value while they remain thin on the ground. As a falconry bird, the real value is probably ú300 - ú500 but that's just my opinion.
Barry
Old 01-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Graeme Neilson
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkies Not Talkies View Post
I take your point but this one would be something new and interesting.
I don't feel new and interesting are valid reasons to create a new hibrid.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Chick

Hi , Barry ,

I have two breeding coupples of jackal buzzards , and they raise their own young birds , 100 procent parent-reared , 100 procent feather perfect birds . And , sorry , but I can tell you that with your 300 - 500 pound you will be just dreaming of having one .
I have spend nearly 6 till 8 years to obtain the right birds to make these two breeding coupples . All the rest I bought was pure imprints , and I had a lot of them , also from England and from Scotland , and I all have resold them , because you couldn't do anything with them . ****ed up in the head , or pure imprints ...

And , the price that at current time is going is 1750 euro for a male , and 2250 euro for a female . And , probably , in the future , they will rise , because you can't find any .
For next year , and for 2015 , orders are allready made and recieved .

Greetings
DF
Old 01-10-2013, 03:18 PM
Barry Blyther
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFortesque View Post
Hi , Barry ,

I have two breeding coupples of jackal buzzards , and they raise their own young birds , 100 procent parent-reared , 100 procent feather perfect birds . And , sorry , but I can tell you that with your 300 - 500 pound you will be just dreaming of having one .
I have spend nearly 6 till 8 years to obtain the right birds to make these two breeding coupples . All the rest I bought was pure imprints , and I had a lot of them , also from England and from Scotland , and I all have resold them , because you couldn't do anything with them . ****ed up in the head , or pure imprints ...

And , the price that at current time is going is 1750 euro for a male , and 2250 euro for a female . And , probably , in the future , they will rise , because you can't find any .
For next year , and for 2015 , orders are allready made and recieved .

Greetings
DF
Well done on your tenacity at making your pairs.
As I said, I have had two and could have kept the bird raised by our Harris Hawks and at a much lower price than you suggested.
I am happy that you are securing the prices you quote. My valuation is based on their usefulness as a quality falconry bird, and thus far I have seen nothing to suggest higher value. However, I stand to be corrected once a good number parent reared birds have been fully explored in a falconry regime. The scarcity in captivity does dictate that a higher price will be obtainable due to the novelty value.
I wish you all the best in your breeding attempts.
All the best.
Barry
Old 02-10-2013, 12:21 AM
Roy - Official Site Sponsor
Passage

"Herne Breeding Centre" in Belgium were breeding Jackal, Augur, and red backed Buzzard, this was recently. I was very interested in getting an Augur Buzzard.
Regards
Roy