Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco

Old 21-11-2016, 05:22 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Default Re: Jimmy G,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceO View Post
Fantastic write up Steve you really do convey the excitement of the chase, be it Gosses, Goldies, longwings....keep up the good work, think I recognise a few of the landscapes.... Long Furlong....????, look forward to the next update... Weather pretty rubbish today though

Bruce
Cheers Bruce, the weather was grey today but the wind had dropped off, although we dodged a few showers sitting in the car waiting for it to stop this morning. Jimmy was flown first on black ditch and waited on well holding station, and ignored a wood pigeon as he climbed, we rushed the ditch, but nothing home, we worked the bushes and rushes along the banks, nothing. He got fed up waiting and stooped at a passing wood pigeon, with a very near miss followed by a cracking tail chase, pressuring it into cover, before re climbing. The tractor was moving about the near by farm yard, which disturbed the resident ferals, Jimmy wasted no time getting over the buildings, nice stoop, throw up and wing over disappearing behind the barns. We waited a short time, before heading for the yard, fairly confident he had one, he was between two buildings with his pigeon, but not happy about the close proximity of the cattle, although quite safe where he was, he kept dragging it along, I took four pictures, then held it with my foot, and transferred him to the garnished lure, he still did not settle, so I went straight in for the pick up with skinned and gutted chicks, this worked well, and we took him away, to finish his meal. On arriving home we bumped into the postman with a package for Jimmy, a nice new hood from Oz, made by Nick Stanton of macropusfalconryhoods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9439.jpg (87.5 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3188.jpg (95.1 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3191.jpg (99.3 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3192.jpg (100.6 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3190.jpg (97.2 KB, 181 views)
Old 27-11-2016, 01:29 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

A first for Jimmy to day which is surprising, when I'v seen him stoop at so many wood pigeons, there not something I deliberately target, and they normally vacate the hedges, as we beat along, before releasing him to fly. Today was quite different, with hundreds feeding on the ripe hawthorn berries, and after his recent feral catch, he was on fire, but with a difference, staying with us and not doing his own thing, he knocked one down and lost that, pitching up and dropping feathers out of his feet. I lost count of how many stoops and re climbs, but he nailed one eventually from a stylish stoop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9537.jpg (99.4 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9562.jpg (97.5 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9544.jpg (97.8 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9519.jpg (97.8 KB, 143 views)
Old 27-11-2016, 01:38 PM
Nick Curry
Passage

Nice work Steve,

I don't know why people don't target woodie more often in such set ups like that. I would if I had more places. Great quarry and as good an eating bird as any (flame grilled rare).

Nick
Old 27-11-2016, 08:18 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakDaggerTiercel View Post
Nice work Steve,

I don't know why people don't target woodie more often in such set ups like that. I would if I had more places. Great quarry and as good an eating bird as any (flame grilled rare).

Nick
Thanks Nick, they do make excellent eating, he was soon transferred to a garnished lure, an old friend Jim Giles also used to say that more people should specialize in flying them, sadly he is no longer with us, but often in our thoughts.
Old 28-11-2016, 06:05 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

A little interesting update on the tiercel, the woodies were in abundance again, he flew well waiting on over the river side hedge, with some nice stoops at various birds, then a good stoop at a wood pigeon as it left the hedge, but instead of crossing the field, it flew round my side hugging the hawthorn. Jimmy went for a bind, grabbing a foot full of feathers with one foot, and a branch with the other, the pigeon escaped, and the falcon stopped dead hanging from the branch by one foot, had I not been so close I would of thought he was snagged by a jess. Running to assist him, I watched him let go and drop to the floor. Joanie tipped the scales at 2lb-4.2oz, excelled herself today, catching her 7th cock pheasant, she was flying over the turnips again, a speculative flight, with the dog working below her, and still climbing when a pheasant was flushed, although wide, the pheasant helped by flying in her direction, Joanie kept climbing in the pheasants direction, and as it passed under her, we got a cracking vertical stoop and hit, feathers flying in the wind and toppling down, she secured it in the turnip tops, only to lose it, the pheasant headed down hill but not that quick, with joanie hot on its tail, she caught it again on the margin near the fence line, there was no struggle this time, all the same, I still ran there, just in case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9604.jpg (100.3 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9569.jpg (97.8 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9570.jpg (97.5 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9600.jpg (101.5 KB, 117 views)
Old 28-11-2016, 06:12 PM
Matthew
Passage

Great write up and pics as always
Old 28-11-2016, 09:18 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Bird View Post
Great write up and pics as always
Cheers Matt, its been a good week since her last one, having said that, she's either bound to one, or knocked down a pheasant every day I'v flown her, since her last one, she struggles on the ground to control them.
Old 29-11-2016, 08:24 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Jimmy scored a sundry today, but I was more excited about getting my eyas Barbary falcon entered, she tipped the scales at 1lb-7.3oz / 660 grams this afternoon, waited on well, paying attention and keeping tight, not a massive pitch, approx 4ooft, a cock and hen pheasant flushed together, she selected the hen, knocking it down in an explosion of feather, a short throw up and wing over, she did get dragged into a hedge, but it was all over by the time I located her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9661.jpg (103.0 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9663.jpg (102.3 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9665.jpg (101.8 KB, 92 views)
Old 29-11-2016, 08:27 PM
Passage

Well done Steve.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:42 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love My Dog View Post
Well done Steve.
Cheers Donna, nothing to much to report on Jimmy, although he knocked a teal into the water at black ditch today. Joanie caught a red leg partridge this afternoon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3208.jpg (98.5 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3197.jpg (102.5 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3201.jpg (102.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3210.jpg (99.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3211.jpg (99.7 KB, 71 views)