Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco

Old 03-12-2016, 06:10 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Default Re: Jimmy G,

We have gone from one extreme to another with Jimmy, yesterday we tried for a black bird flight over silly cow hedge row, but his recent success on pigeon, had him chasing willy nilly after every one he saw, ten minutes later, a few oaths, and we had his attension's, although for sheer entertainment the spectacle was second to none. He returned to wait on over us, as we stopped and started our beating after every stoop chase and remount, then a cracking knockdown with feathers flying the BB recovered before Jimmy could turn, and got tail chased back into the hedge, he bailed in behind it chasing it sparrow hawk style in the undergrowth, with me wincing, careful of your feathers. The BB laddered up and out the top, with the falcon flying back out of the hedge. He resumed his waiting on at the end of the hedgerow, several more flushes were made with stoops and chases along the drainage ditch, the quarry bailing into the reeds when hard pressed, Jimmy was spent and brought in to the lure. So this morning a different venue was chosen, more open terrain, no check, but still a hedgerow albeit quite broken up with gaps and weedy patches, alongside the root field where the two falcons are flown. He waited on perfectly holding station circling above as we started tapping the hedge along with our sticks, he climbed to a good 400ft pitch in the clear blue sky, only a few lbj's broke cover, he ignored these, when we got to the large gap, a covey of red leg partridge erupted out from Sherry's side, Jimmy done a vertical stoop binding hard to the last one up, coming down in the long grass and weeds. No luck with the falcons this afternoon, but both birds stooped and chased pheasant, Joanie went into a bramble bush right behind one, fortunately no damage was done, she was 0.2oz down on yesterdays weight, when she caught her eighth cock bird at 2lb-5.4oz bringing her up to 14 head. Babs stooped at a cock bird today and came back minus her transmitter, I thought she'd abandoned them after her refusal two days ago at 1lb-8oz, today she was 1lb-7.7oz. I fed Babs up while Sherry found the transmitter, she said it was fun finding it, I said it is when theres no bird attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3216.jpg (102.8 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3218.jpg (97.3 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3222.jpg (103.1 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9673.jpg (100.1 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9682.jpg (101.6 KB, 134 views)
Old 04-12-2016, 05:02 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

A few pictures taken by a friend Sam Ellis of the two tiercels, Jimmy G and Chuck the 9yr old Red napped shaheen x Barbary.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:05 PM
Passage

Very nice pics of stunning birds
Old 04-12-2016, 05:06 PM
Haggard

Lovely pictures
Old 04-12-2016, 05:09 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Some more by Sam Ellis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love My Dog View Post
Very nice pics of stunning birds
Thanks Donna, but the credit all goes to Sam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bannister View Post
lovely pictures
Cheers Shaun, the credit goes to Sam, but I have to say, I'v seen some just as stunning pictures on your thread, we enjoy your Video's to, and appreciate how hard it is to do.

Atb Steve & Sherry.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:54 PM
Haggard

thanks Steve ,its lovely these days having easily portable good standard cameras on a phone but nothing captures the birds so well as a decent camera and photographer who knows what hes on

Or even a non flying mate who can do the videos so i dont have to act like an octopus
Old 05-12-2016, 11:47 AM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bannister View Post
thanks Steve ,its lovely these days having easily portable good standard cameras on a phone but nothing captures the birds so well as a decent camera and photographer who knows what hes on

or even a non flying mate who can do the videos so i dont have to act like an octopus
It amazes me how you can follow a flight by just looking at the screen, but your right its nice when there is some one else to do it.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:43 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Never a dull moment, tried for a duck flight on black ditch, when the ponds are frozen, they can be found here almost guaranteed, on my tod to day, so I new it would be hopeless getting them over land.
Still had to try, there were three good stoops at the teal as they stuck to the water coarse, and a stoop and chase on a magpie, which made it into a tree, Jimmy re climbed, the pie was flushed, with another stoop and chase to some conifers.
Bird and man both knackered, popped the lure out at my feet, with him 50ft above me, fed him extra rations, as he had lost 1/2oz over night, he was on the wing for a good 20 minutes or more.
Chuck was flown on another farm, which is a short drive away, he flew well making good height over the barns, then a good stoop into the yard to hit a pigeon, a momentary coming together then one bird exits, I am above the farm looking down, and then two farm workers come out into the yard, looking down at the ground. Fearing the worst, I start running, on arrival there is the bird looking up at the men, and there looking down at him, I load the glove with some grub Chuck fly's 20 foot to it.
There are pigeon feathers strewn all around, but one is a falcons deck feather, with tailmount and micro transmitter still in place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3224.jpg (94.5 KB, 94 views)
Old 05-12-2016, 04:45 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamishHawk View Post
It amazes me how you can follow a flight by just looking at the screen, but your right its nice when there is some one else to do it.

I dont look at the screen mate i just point it in the general direction to be honest once you have confidence that the bird is going to go up well and is loyal its quite straightforward ,i usually have a cigarette once shes off the fist ,it stops me rushing matters ,its just my phone camera lacks quality whereas my mates on a Samsung 6 which is excellent

Bad news about the deck feather ,have you plugged the hole ,bit of Vaseline helps to keep it open a few days
Old 05-12-2016, 08:09 PM
Terry
Passage

Hello Steve

Excellent reading. Please keep it up.

Incidentally I've heard it a few times of a single deck mounted transmitter pulling out the feather in a hard hit on quarry - with no other cover or fencing involved at all.

Must be sheer force of gravity with added weight of the transmitter on impact that's too much for a single feather to hold.

Hope it grows back mate.

Regards

Terry