Passage

Default Re: Jimmy G,

Great pictures, enjoying reading about your exploits
Kind regards Chris
Old 03-11-2017, 05:14 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Thanks guys, nothing to report today, all falcons on a miss day, Joanie bound to a pheasant yesterday & lost it, the 4th she's lost in the short while flying her this season, still up to her old tricks, smacked me in the head after losing it, god knows how they get away after she's hit them, she flew off with my glasses in her feet, and dropped them some where, I spent several hours searching for them, walking the grid, reminded me of looking for hares with Mr Bolt, no luck, if weather is ok hoping to fly all three falcons tomorrow, good hunting guy's & girl's.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:47 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Jimmy G 4/11/17

flying weight at 9-55am 588g / 1lb-4.8oz.

fed to weight (damp) 692g / 1lb-8.4oz 104g /3.6oz of chick (one whole & three gutted & part skinned).

No cigar but certainly worth a mention, we've just got back, from flying him in the rain, and to say I'm pleased with this fella is an understatement. the venue was the same as Thursday, only one BB seen, as we tapped along the hedge, not as high today, but stayed tight, a Cock pheasant was flushed, he hit it from a stoop and bound in one, coming to the ground, only to lose it after a wrestle, he shook himself and went back up. Moving to another hedge while he climbed, the beating commenced and another Cock bird flushed down the hedgerow he stooped from not the best pitch to hit and take feather, the cock wobbled but carried on and back in the hedge. Jimmy came back for his lure with feathers still in his feet.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:46 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Hi Steve,

Keeping an eye on your updates. Jimmy is doing well, glad your having some sport. Keep the write-ups and pics coming!

Happy Hawking,

Bradley
Old 07-11-2017, 07:17 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradazTheFalconer View Post
Hi Steve,

Keeping an eye on your updates. Jimmy is doing well, glad your having some sport. Keep the write-ups and pics coming!

Happy Hawking,

Bradley
Well Brad, I have some thing special to put up today, a double duck day.

Jimmy was 574grams / 1lb-4.2oz at 9-05am, we released him along black ditch, he spotted a magpie among cattle, the other side of the ditch and gave chase across the field and over the railway embankment, we watched heart in mouth, as they crossed the tracks, but he came back climbing just as a duck left the ditch, he went into duck gear and powered over, the duck bottled, turned and dived back in, the wind blew him away from the ditch as he climbed again, we walked along the ditch, three ducks flushed, and two flew along the water coarse passing us, the third dumped back in reeds near me as Jimmy closed the gap, and he chased them along the ditch, only for them to bail out, he climbed again coming over me at no great height, I bashed the reeds with my stick and Hunter my Brittany crashed in, the duck went over the field, and the tiercel stooped & bound to it, the duck (Gadwall) was giving him a real hard time, as I ran to the nearest crossing place, to his assistance.

Babs barbary falcon, 638grams/1lb-6.5oz at 1-35pm.

She waited on well near the end of black ditch, near the river, but did not go high in the wind and light rain, she can go to some lofty pitches, but prefers warmer days, she seem to favour looking for lift rather than powering up, and when some ducks were flushed, although wide, she chased and climbed, trying to get above them, we flushed more duck, the sky was full of them, she broke off the others and tore over to intercept them. These also got above her, she broke off and was circling over the field as we continued along the ditch, two more ducks flushed and flew across the field in her direction, she rolled over into a vertical to strike one down, she threw up, the duck lay motionless and she winnowed down to land on her 3rd ever kill another Gadwall, and her first ever duck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4534.jpg (99.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4522.jpg (96.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4544.jpg (101.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4552.jpg (96.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4585.jpg (83.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 07-11-2017, 07:27 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

What a result that is, sounds as though you had a great day's hunting! The young Falcon got her first duck as well. I think this is the first time I've heard of a bird catching a Gadwall. There isn't all that many of them around I don't think. Did you notice anything different about the Duck's attempted evasion?

Best Wishes,

Bradley
Old 07-11-2017, 07:59 PM
Terry
Passage

Well done on the Gadwall ducks mate. I've had a few of them. But I don't remember the striking yellow feet. Perhaps the ones I caught juveniles.
Keep it coming ! Nice thread.

Regards

Terry
Old 07-11-2017, 08:06 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
Well done on the Gadwall ducks mate. I've had a few of them. But I don't remember the striking yellow feet. Perhaps the ones I caught juveniles.
Keep it coming ! Nice thread.

Regards

Terry
Hi terry, I was convinced they were wigeon, But Nick said they were Gadwall.
my old observer book of birds said they were rare, thats why I rulled them out, they have destinctive white wing markings.

Regards Steve.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:31 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradazTheFalconer View Post
What a result that is, sounds as though you had a great day's hunting! The young Falcon got her first duck as well. I think this is the first time I've heard of a bird catching a Gadwall. There isn't all that many of them around I don't think. Did you notice anything different about the Duck's attempted evasion?

Best Wishes,

Bradley
They flew much like any other duck Brad, the Barbary falcon is now 19 months old, she had a nice moult this spring, ln her first season she was not that successful only accounting for one hen pheasant and one crow, however we have seen many flights with her, i feel she's just been unlucky or falconer error flying her to high perhaps, but she's got a wonderful temperament, more than I can say about Joanie the imprint peregrine, She let me down today, or maybe i let her down, flying to high at 1050grams / 2lb-5oz she waited on well & refused 3 cock pheasants then went on a jolly and came back 5 minutes later to land on the lure, last week she knocked down several pheasants only to lose them, when her weights lowered she's just bloody awful, manageable but quite a vile creature, she is a big falcon, a wild falcon dogged her last week and she saw it off and looked much bigger than her wilder cousin. But having said that I have a soft spot for her some times.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:43 PM
Brancher

Well done Steve nice t have a variety of quarry. Tony