Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco

Old 26-02-2016, 10:13 AM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Default Re: Jimmy G,

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOlivia View Post
That's a good first season Steve, there's no reason why he won't go on to improve in so many ways next season and beyond. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers Mike, I hope he does improve, he has been a blast to fly, hopefully I can cure his checking, but I have to say he's been a loyal little bird 19/20oz always returning after he's careered all over the sky some times returning 5 minutes later, all of his kills bar two were flushed by us, the others were a field away and the stoops were seen, and he'd dispatched his quarry, by the time we arrived on the scene.

Hi Brad & Donna, glad you like the posts, I was only thinking how sparse things were on here, Iv been following some good threads, but mainly reading the archive stuff, its hard wading through some threads, but always worth the effort to find them nuggets of gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke36 View Post
its a nice looking bird
Cheers Luke, catch up soon.
Old 26-02-2016, 10:39 AM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bannister View Post
I meant in terms of hedge bashing or game hawking
Hi Shaun, that's a difficult one, which I don't think is possible, I'm afraid its all ifs with me, if I had access to a partridge manor or grouse moor, it would be a no brainer, so for now, mixing it up with small game hawking, will have do, maybe a few invitations might help to round off his education, as many will know on here I have travelled miles with my late eagle Mr Bolt. As long as I find a niche for him, ill just enjoy him.

Atb Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryCollett View Post
I think his aim is to catch things with it from waiting on I`ve seen jimmy fly and he`s quite a joy to watch.
He sure is a joy, and has filled a nice gap, our day on one of your permissions was eye opening, those partridge and hen pheasant knock downs were magic, sorry you never saw them he he, but some one has to have there head obscured by cover.
Old 26-02-2016, 11:34 AM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamishHawk View Post
Hi Shaun, that's a difficult one, which I don't think is possible, I'm afraid its all ifs with me, if I had access to a partridge manor or grouse moor, it would be a no brainer, so for now, mixing it up with small game hawking, will have do, maybe a few invitations might help to round off his education, as many will know on here I have travelled miles with my late eagle Mr Bolt. As long as I find a niche for him, ill just enjoy him.

atb Steve.

Thats the main thing
Old 04-10-2016, 12:08 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Hi all, Jimmy G has been up and running 3 days now, only one 50yd flight on the creance and straight out over the hedgerows.

4/10/16

weight 1lb-3.2oz/546grams, at 10am, fed weight 1lb-5.5oz, eat 2.3oz of chick, one whole on the lure and one deyoked.

Flew him at a friends farm, which is a mix of pasture, hedgerows, and drainage ditches. We selected the middle hedgerow, not ideal as the easterly wind was blowing across it from left to right. After seeing a magpie half way along the hedge, the bird was put up, he tracked away from the hedge toward the railway track making height, even though going down wind, flying over three railway workers in there bright orange overalls, before turning back into wind and coming over the hedge, we were in place, one either side with sticks at the ready, Jimmy held station over us at approx 150/200ft as we tapped along, he ignored several LBJ's, a cock pheasant flushed out of the right side of the hedge straight into wind, he stooped but dropped in behind it, the gap opened up to approx 4 feet and the pheasant dived into a hedge about 100yds away the other side of a large drainage ditch, he had a hard vertical pull up to miss the hedge, returning to circle over the end of the hedgerow only about 50 foot up, as we reached the end, the magpie flushed into wind and the bird was a little wide, so not ideal, Jimmy got on terms, chasing it along the reedy drainage ditch, forcing it to dump, as he went wide with no height, the pie flew back to the hedge behind us, the tiercel looked tired, so I brought him in to the lure.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:04 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Hi all, Jimmy G has been up and running 3 days now, only one 50yd flight on the creance and straight out over the hedgerows.

4/10/16

weight 1lb-3.2oz/546grams, at 10am, fed weight 1lb-5.5oz, eat 2.3oz of chick, one whole on the lure and one deyoked.

Flew him at a friends farm, which is a mix of pasture, hedgerows, and drainage ditches. We selected the middle hedgerow, not ideal as the easterly wind was blowing across it from left to right. After seeing a magpie half way along the hedge, the bird was put up, he tracked away from the hedge toward the railway track making height, even though going down wind, flying over three railway workers in there bright orange overalls, before turning back into wind and coming over the hedge, we were in place, one either side with sticks at the ready, Jimmy held station over us at approx 150/200ft as we tapped along, he ignored several LBJ's, a cock pheasant flushed out of the right side of the hedge straight into wind, he stooped but dropped in behind it, the gap opened up to approx 4 feet and the pheasant dived into a hedge about 100yds away the other side of a large drainage ditch, he had a hard vertical pull up to miss the hedge, returning to circle over the end of the hedgerow only about 50 foot up, as we reached the end, the magpie flushed into wind and the bird was a little wide, so not ideal, Jimmy got on terms, chasing it along the reedy drainage ditch, forcing it to dump, as he went wide with no height, the pie flew back to the hedge behind us, the tiercel looked tired, so I brought him in to the lure.
That sounds like an exciting but also frustrating outing, depending on what way you look at it. He seems like he's quite fit though with back-to-back flights and quite aerobatic flights. It's a shame about that Cock Pheasant.

Happy Hawking,

Bradley
Old 04-10-2016, 05:46 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradazTheFalconer View Post
That sounds like an exciting but also frustrating outing, depending on what way you look at it. He seems like he's quite fit though with back-to-back flights and quite aerobatic flights. It's a shame about that Cock Pheasant.

Happy Hawking,

Bradley
Hi young man, never frustrating watching a bird make a good effort, the pheasant was far to big for him, so quite pleased he never latched on to that, he caught a hen pheasant last year, which dragged him straight in the hedge, I got there in time to help with that. this was one flight today with him remounting after the pheasant to have another shot at the magpie, I think he spoilt his chances using up his energy on the pheasant, any way an enjoyable 1/2 hour out this morning in glorious sunshine.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:53 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Hi young man, never frustrating watching a bird make a good effort, the pheasant was far to big for him, so quite pleased he never latched on to that, he caught a hen pheasant last year, which dragged him straight in the hedge, I got there in time to help with that. this was one flight today with him remounting after the pheasant to have another shot at the magpie, I think he spoilt his chances using up his energy on the pheasant, any way an enjoyable 1/2 hour out this morning in glorious sunshine.
Coming to think of it, a Cock Pheasant would be quite a feat for a Lannerette! I can imagine that his Pheasant flights are quite amazing when he gets it. I take it he's had corvids before then?

Regards,

Bradley
Old 04-10-2016, 05:53 PM
Terry
Passage

Good luck with him Steve.

Please keep the thread running.

Regards

Terry
Old 04-10-2016, 06:30 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
Good luck with him Steve.

Please keep the thread running.

Regards

Terry
Hello Terry, Ill try and put stuff up now and again, when something interesting happens, he has been flown for 3 days, tomorrow morning he will just get fed on the glove as I'm pigeon scaring, at Fratton park with a Harris hawk, only one day a week. then a mad rush home to fit a couple more flights in with 2 more falcons, here's a picture of Joanie she's a 2 year old imprint Peregrine on her first redleg partridge 19 days ago, and another shot of her on a recent trip to Scotland. My aim was to catch a grouse, but she had her own agenda, and it was furry, a mountain hare, she did knock a grouse down in style, losing it in the heather.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3092.jpg (97.6 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3093.jpg (100.3 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg Joanie's mountain hare.jpg (96.8 KB, 173 views)
Old 04-10-2016, 06:33 PM
Nick Curry
Passage

Very interesting thread Steve, please keep it updated.

Its nice to hear of tiercels being flown at the small stuff. It brings out the best in them.

Regards,
Nick