Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > USEFUL LINKS > International Falconry News or Displays at Show, Fairs or Events

Old 22-06-2015, 05:45 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Default Kent Game & County Fair 2015

Hi Everyone

Are any of you planning on going to the Kent Game & County Fair this year? It's on Saturday and Sunday which is the 27th and 28th June at Hole Park Estate Rolvenden, Kent. For those of you who have satnavs poste code is TN17 4JA. Link to the Falconry section of there website is at the bottom of the post, including a video on what Falconry stuff is going on. They're going to have a whole dedicated Falconry village by the sounds of things, really excited now! You can also see what Falconers are going to be there as well. Falconry seems to be a pretty prominent thing at the fair along with dogs and shooting, all the usual stuff you would expect. From what I can understand, the venue is quite big. In terms of Falconry displays, several will be going on daily along with a designated Owl and Eagle shows. Should be a good day out and if any traders on here are going to be there then please let me know as there's some stuff I'm looking to get when I'm there. I'll be going with my usual country pal who's into just about every county sport so we get on pretty well! Any other questions about the event, feel free to ask. Fingers crossed for good weather as that always makes it a better day out. Lots of hands-on activities during the day, Falconry included. Prices are Adults:ú12 Over 65's:ú11 Chid:ú4. Please put up on here what you thought of the fair after you've been, I'll put up a diary sort of thing on my day there as well.

Falconry Section:http://livingheritagecountryshows.co...conry-village/.

Happy Hawking

Bradley
Old 22-06-2015, 08:25 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Default Re: Kent Game & County Fair 2015

I'll be there on the Sunday.
Old 23-06-2015, 05:50 AM
IFF Sponsor
Brancher

I won't be at this one mate, which is a shame. My next falconry day is:
Stonham Barns, Suffolk on July 12th. Sorry to have missed you Brad

Old 23-06-2015, 11:23 AM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMick View Post
I'll be there on the Sunday.
That's the day I'm going, might see you there then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Vance View Post
I won't be at this one mate, which is a shame. My next falconry day is:
Stonham Barns, Suffolk on July 12th. Sorry to have missed you Brad
That's a shame Ian, I may see you before hand but my next planned one is the Falconry Fair 2016.

Happy Hawking

Bradley
Old 27-06-2015, 04:42 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

So it's the fair tomorrow, I'm excited for it! I'll make sure I let you all know how it was and what I thought of it.

Bradley
Old 29-06-2015, 05:21 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Hi Everyone

The fair was excellent, I really hope they do it again next year. I think they will as there was a really good turn out, must have made quite a bit. I consider it a success! The fair was made up of two large fields they had arenas dotted around them. The first field you got out to from the entrance was mainly for Dogs, it also had Ferrets, Fishing and clay pigeon shooting as well. I had my first go with a shotgun, hurt like hell! The demonstrations were very good, none of them were really poor at all. My favourite group of Dogs at the show had to be the Otterhounds, they were so affectionate and beautiful. All of the stall holders that had animals knew what they were doing and could answer every single one of my questions. Lots of combined experience there I reckon.

The second field had the Falconry Village first onto it, shame that there were no stands selling stuff really apart from one stall who were selling a few bits and pieces. One person who they didn't advertise being there though, Ben Long! He was excellent, I had a real good chat with him and I can remember nearly every word. Some of the things he said to me will stick with me forever. Me and my friend that was with me for the day took part in his display along with a very reluctant vegetarian woman who couldn't even look at the glove with the chick on it! We had birds ranging from an American Kestrel all the way up to a Stellar's Sea Eagle, quite a diverse range of raptors to say the least. I was very impressed with all of the displays done by the Falconers and there must've been about ten Falconers there in total. My only bit of criticism there would've been the lack of selling of equipment.

All of the shopping stuff to be had, and there was loads of stalls selling everything, was down further into the second field which was the larger of the two by far. It also contained most of the arenas as well. Loads of people selling country clothing and I couldn't resist another checked shirt! The list of things that were being sold is endless, literally anything you could expect to be sold was there. No lack of places ton eat either, everywhere you looked you could see somewhere offering food. Of course, an ice cream had to be had as well! I had a go at air rifle shooting on a mobile range they had there, I ended up going back for more. I thought it was better than the shotgun, I automatically took to the air rifle whereas the shotgun really didn't talk to me. We was one of the first there and one of the last to leave, one of those things where it's hard to walk away.

Overall, it was a great day out and really good for their first go at it. I would encourage anyone who's interested, based on my visit, to go if they do decide to do it again next year. From a Falconry point of view, things could do with improving but as I say, not bad for a first go at all. Any other questions you may have on it, I'll be happy to answer. I'd also like to hear the opinions of those who did go to it, see if they're similar to mine. The link to their website is in the first post if you want to check any of that out and I'm sure we'll go again next year if they do it again.

Happy Hawking

Bradley
Old 29-06-2015, 05:45 PM
Passage

Glad you enjoyed it Brad. Too far away for me.
Old 29-06-2015, 08:25 PM
Allen Elliot
Brancher

sorry brad but not for me, game and country fair, take the game part out.
disable parking was an absolute joke, had to park further away than those who were not disabled. why both fields had no walk through was beyond me .
As you say falcon village i thought was abysmal. and a cup of rubbish coffee from one stand ú3 , f, joke
Old 30-06-2015, 05:15 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa View Post
sorry brad but not for me, game and country fair, take the game part out.
Disable parking was an absolute joke, had to park further away than those who were not disabled. why both fields had no walk through was beyond me .
as you say falcon village i thought was abysmal. and a cup of rubbish coffee from one stand ú3 , f, joke
Shame you didn't have the same experience as us, we managed to find a coffee for ú2. You find that at all the events like that though, they know you want something so they rip you off for it! What did you think of the displays and arena stuff? That was probably the best bit, I thought.

Bradley
Old 30-06-2015, 06:35 PM
Allen Elliot
Brancher

from what displays we saw they were very good, not the best ive seen but still good. due to the nature of the layout my other half found it extremely hard to walk, having crutches, at times near on impossible .ive been to umpteen so called GAME and county fairs and to me this was just a county fair.
I dont think ile bother in future.