Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco

Old 31-05-2015, 05:04 PM
Egg

Default American kestrel and eu kestrel differences

Hello,
Ive read many threads about kestrels both eu and ak.
I just wondered which i better to hunt small birds ie. blackbirds, sparrows.

Ive also read that AK kestrels are more aggressive towards hunting then the EU kestrel, is it true?

The EU kestrel being quite a bit bigger than an AK kestrel, i know doesnt mean everything but in regards to hunting and holding quarry i thought the size would matter.

Any thoughts on these questions
Old 02-06-2015, 02:06 AM
Karen Carroll
Passage

Default Re: American kestrel and eu kestrel differences

EK's are a bit larger. My male flies at about 150 grams. My AK's fly at about 110 for males, 120 for females. I note a bit stiffer plumage in the AK's and a 'snap' in their wingbeat. The EK seems to have a 'softer' wingbeat that the AK's. Here in the US, my EK will 'hide' in trees when he sees another raptor. That can be irritating and worrisome. For getting him down can be a problem. Otherwise, he is a great bird. AK's would fly straight to me many times rather than hide. Also, if my AK's see another raptor during programs (wild raptor). They will 'freeze' on the glove and not launch. I do not make them launch if they show this behavior, and put them away for their comfort and safety.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:33 AM
Johnny Brine
Passage

Hi,
You won't catch anything with the Euro Kestrel, despite being larger. Very rarely they will catch something but I don't believe it's on a regular basis.
I've not flown the smaller American Kestrel, but reading some of the threads they seem to be good hunters. You need to be careful of Sparrowhawks when flying them though. Also remember here in the UK most small birds are illegal to hunt & those that are legal, will need a licence to hunt.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:18 PM
Haggard

For the serious falconer, even American Kestrels are a waste of time. It's true they will take the odd small bird but the flights are hardly worth the name. As a plaything for someone with no real flying ground to operate on, they're arguably better than nothing I suppose.
Henry V Act 2.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:50 PM
Juan De Marcken
Passage

the difference? rather the only thing in common is the name kestrel another misplaced name like sparrowhawk for the same bird by the way.
they are more closely related to aplomado than european kestrel .
so as there is no hobby in america the insect and small bird hunter there is the AK.mice are caught also whenever possible but there is a niche too small for them because
, there are so many different sizes and kinds of buzzards ( that is mice predators)over there contrary to us , that there is no true room for a european kind of kestrel.

Kestrel can catch sparrows , and a few other birds , they are sometimes quite pugnaceous, but it is one in a hundred and even that one you need to invest so much time to perform properly that it isn't really worthwile except if you are in love with them.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:08 PM
Juan De Marcken
Passage

ak on the other side do have a pretty good agressivity, they lack a bit of power
and speed but they can takle pretty exiting birds like starlings, black birds and under that side.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:27 PM
Juan De Marcken
Passage

not precisely what I call a useless bird.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:22 PM
Egg

Hi, I bought a female ak for my son to show him how to train a falcon . What a brave little bird caught birds from sparrow up to feral pigeon which I weighed ,which was exactly 3 times his weight!! There is a good book written by a guy in America sorry can't remember his name, caught in one season over 230 birds with one female a.k. Great for hedge bashing,flown like spar. Super high metabolism when flown hard needs quail/rat etc . Great fun.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:03 AM
Gerry Plant
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph1 View Post
Hi, I bought a female ak for my son to show him how to train a falcon . What a brave little bird caught birds from sparrow up to feral pigeon which I weighed ,which was exactly 3 times his weight!! There is a good book written by a guy in America sorry can't remember his name, caught in one season over 230 birds with one female a.k. Great for hedge bashing,flown like spar. Super high metabolism when flown hard needs quail/rat etc . Great fun.
Matt Mullenix.

Gerry x
Old 03-06-2015, 08:23 AM
Steve
Passage

When breeding UK kez and ak I could go in with UK kez ok . But the aks did think they were bigger than they were and would attack with out a care