Default Re: Conman kestrel caughted

That's the best thing for the bird.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:32 AM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikra King View Post
released to wild after feed

There's no post you've ever made that convinces me you have a clue what you're doing and I wouldn't personally believe any damn thing you say.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:49 AM
Passage

Quote:
released to wild after feed
Mr King, its took you about 8 months to catch a hawk, you should looked a some more pic on how to sort your bird out,
Old 10-04-2016, 09:50 AM
Brancher

There are some very arrogant and superior comments being made here by a bunch of privileged people who know only a world of ultra convenience, where they only have to reach for whatever information or resources they want.

Shikra, few of the people on here would be practising falconry if they had to show the gumption and field craft to go and catch a wild bird. I admire your determination to learn falconry and I hope you stick to it. Spoiled westerners are a very limited source of good advice. They also forget that lots of older falconers here in the west started falconry in a very similar way to you, when things were not so easy. Today, many of these men are famous and excellent falconers.

That was a first year kestrel, so hatched last year.

One good comment you did receive was that of tethering by one leg, which is a basic error and will lead to a damaged leg. I hope you manage to find a good book on falconry, it will help you a lot.

At least with all these birds you are trapping and releasing, you will become a very good trapper. This is one of the first and most important skills of the true and traditional falconer. Englishmen are only allowed to buy birds out of aviaries, which means that they never get to learn all the field skills and knowledge that most falconers in the world think are truly important. Unfortunately this gives them a lot of time for sitting on the computer.

Andy
Old 10-04-2016, 11:37 AM
Haggard

were uk based falconers allowed to trap passage birds i'm sure they would quickly learn the ways and means to do so ,it's hardly rocket science so critique of that factor holds little validity,i'm sure you or i would have little trouble in trapping a wild falcon or hawk
however neither is learning basic tethering techniques all of which are available on this forum alone let alone the information available in books and via your fingertips so that is an element you need to address not only for the birds sake but also for your own good practice
the key question you should ask yourself is why you would consider a european kestrel as a suitable long wing to learn anything from other than how to swing a lure which you could do without a bird at all,it's the wrong species for your aims,this alone displays a lack of research
if you've successfully flown shirkras as you say then weight control and diet are no issue so what is your aim ?
A EK,whilst very pretty etc is not going to further your abilities to any great degree if you want to be a hunting falconer of longwings as they bare little to no resemblance to a hunting falcon
Old 10-04-2016, 11:42 AM
Brancher

I have and read a book (falconry and hawking by philip glasier and i never waighted shikra i feed them much asy teacher told to feed .i first cleaned and washed sinked bird meat in water for controll my teacher is experianced falconer he was in forum too his name is salman ali and his forum name was turmuti.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:52 AM
Haggard

Quote:
i have and read a book (falconry and hawking by philip glasier and i never waighted shikra i feed them much asy teacher told to feed .i first cleaned and washed sinked bird meat in water for controll my teacher is experianced falconer he was in forum too his name is salman ali and his forum name was turmuti.
Well if the birds didn't die in your care for want of feeding then you've obviously understood the process however you still miss the main points which are eqpt care/application and why you would want an EK
Old 10-04-2016, 12:07 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bannister View Post
well if the birds didn't die in your care for want of feeding then you've obviously understood the process however you still miss the main points which are eqpt care/application and why you would want an EK
Actualy there is a great difference between our falconry and your falconry here about 95 % of falconers do not waight there bird on machine and do not waight there feeding they manage waight by experiance and knowledge got from there father grand father mean passed from one ganeration to other here they do not use telemtry etc about 75% falconers do not use hood they sew bird eyes during first days.and they hunt with there bird better then other countries falconer
Old 10-04-2016, 12:53 PM
Haggard

Yes i'm aware of the old methods employed some are good most are not, many are used over here as well not all are slaves to the scales however that i say again is not the point ,the eqpt you have used is poor and likely to lead to injury

BUT, and i ask again what is your aim in trying to fly a EK as lead in to flying longwings if you wish to hunt?
They are unsuitable for the task, and you're just wasting your time

As for whether they hunt better ,well that's a rather delusional if you're of that belief and i would hazard that some failings in your approaches is self evident even in your own posts ,my father,and his fathers father blah blah .... taught me how to tell the difference betwix an eyass kestrel and an adult female and how to put a jess on so as not to cause injury ,passed down for generations
Old 10-04-2016, 02:18 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Heath View Post
There are some very arrogant and superior comments being made here by a bunch of privileged people who know only a world of ultra convenience, where they only have to reach for whatever information or resources they want.

Shikra, few of the people on here would be practising falconry if they had to show the gumption and field craft to go and catch a wild bird. I admire your determination to learn falconry and I hope you stick to it. Spoiled westerners are a very limited source of good advice. They also forget that lots of older falconers here in the west started falconry in a very similar way to you, when things were not so easy. Today, many of these men are famous and excellent falconers.

That was a first year kestrel, so hatched last year.

One good comment you did receive was that of tethering by one leg, which is a basic error and will lead to a damaged leg. I hope you manage to find a good book on falconry, it will help you a lot.

At least with all these birds you are trapping and releasing, you will become a very good trapper. This is one of the first and most important skills of the true and traditional falconer. Englishmen are only allowed to buy birds out of aviaries, which means that they never get to learn all the field skills and knowledge that most falconers in the world think are truly important. Unfortunately this gives them a lot of time for sitting on the computer.

Andy
You preach like a Corbyn voter, with the arrogance of one who turns their central heating on, communicates by mobile, lives on takeaways and consumes the world's resources the same as everyone else but tries to pretend they have a special affinity with less developed cultures as if you share some secret of the universe that the rest of us are not privy to. You don't. There's a respect for, and link with, nature that is not owned by a particular culture but resides deeply in some people and certainly not in others. That's not taught in a book and no matter the degree of skill with which some practice falconry, train dogs or work with any creature with a heartbeat..it's entirely possible to discern who does and does not have that passionate relationship with nature and who is just experimenting with the life of something that can't do a damn thing about it except die.