Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 11-09-2013, 08:24 AM
Bob Jeffryes
Passage

Default 2013 season 3/4 Albidus Female

Ok ive decided to start a thread on my new goshawk,shes a 3/4 albidus female bred by keith sherry,shes around 11 week old now and duel imprinted in a open fronted aivery,i would 1st like to thank keith for breeding such a nice bird shes a credit to him.
I picked her up from keiths on Saturday,hes not too far away from me so only took around a hour to get there,i went with a friend and we had a brew with keith before he pulled her out of the pen,keith had a African hawkeagle in his kitchen bowed out,i thought it was a female blackspar until I seen its feet and had a proper look at him,the 1st picture is him,a fine looking bird too,anyway keith caught up my female,i put anklets,tail bell and tail guard on her,jesses and leash etc,she wouldn't regain the fist at 1st but soon come round,i took a travel box to keiths but after seeing her bate and wouldn't regain the fist decided against it,so keith kindly sorted me out with a cardboard box,placed her in and off we went,2 mins down the road she was going crazy so pulled over to check on her and could see blood,pulled her out and checked her over,she had bent a few feathers and nicked her wing,nothing serious but looked worse against the white feathers,my friend held her on his knee with her head covered for the rest of the journey and off we went,i got her home and put her on a pole perch,rubbed germaline into her cut,placed her on the scales she was 3lb 3oz,but had a little food in her,put her back on the pole and she seemed very steady,she bated when I let the dog in but regained instant so was happy she would be ok,i droped my mate off and let her settle for the night,checking on her regular.
The next day I placed her on the scales after she cast and was 3lb 1 oz,tried her with a chick at her feet and she ate within 5 min,the full chick,ive decided to take her weight down on 1 chick a day to get the bulk off I have now started feeding more to steady it up as I don't want it dropping too quick or cause her to scream.she is silent upto now but twittering a lot,she is very steady and getting used to the dog,her weight is now at 2lb 13 1/4 oz as of yeaterday,she has been manned up as much as possible since ive had her and is jumping leash length for food,she will be flown at mainly pheasant and rabbit,i will post as she progresses,im going to have a good walk on some land today to get her used to the travel box and the dog more and steadier on the fist,you can see the nick on her wing on the 3rd picture this is now healing fine and the blood as almost gone,hope you like her,atb bob
1231572_499724606785050_1654659895_n.jpg

1176174_10202047344493897_1699574337_n.jpg

1236466_10202047326173439_64872323_n.jpg

1231526_10202047338773754_197210479_n.jpg
Old 11-09-2013, 09:00 AM
Jason
Haggard

Default Re: 2013 season 3/4 albidus female

Hi bob, she's a very nice looking goshawk, really take your time with her, the white birds are different to the normal looking goses, there keel bone is deeper and they mature slower, I,ve imprint one for lee featherstone this year, and she became very aggressive towards me about two weeks before her first free flight, to be fair I had to drop her weight lower than normal to get her to even look at the lure, down to 2lb 10oz then she went back up to 2lb 15oz to curve the aggression, she beat me up for a good two weeks, while this process was put through its paces, now she's back at lee,s she is like a P/R goshawk, and I think has been reduced to 2lb 12/13ozmark while she's getting used to her new surroundings and handler, I,m not saying your hawk is going to be like this but, I think if I,d take my time with this hawk the out come could been different, and my arm wouldn't look and feel like a pin cushion lol, it's healing well know though lol.

These hawks have a different wing beat no matter what the Internet experts will tell you, ( most haven't seen one fly or hunt) liken to a deep wing beat of an eagle is the best way to discribe it, when your hawk gets fit, she will still feel sharp, and you will soon see how different they are, take your time mate, and it will be good to read a full and in fromed thread on one of these hawks being flown and hunted hard through the season.

Have a safe season, I,m looking forwards to this thread, please keep it going no matter if it gets abit heated at times due to the non believers, of the difference in this hawks flying styles.

ATB jase.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:06 AM
Haggard

Keep it going Bob, forget styles. Just enjoy flying your hawk Im looking forward to this.

ps your not a million miles away from me. Id love to see the difference Just joking mate. But if you fancy a day out, Im up for it.

Atb
Dean
Old 11-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Jason
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
Keep it going Bob, forget styles. Just enjoy flying your hawk Im looking forward to this.

ps your not a million miles away from me. Id love to see the difference Just joking mate. But if you fancy a day out, Im up for it.

Atb
Dean
You just can't help yourself can you lol . Dean I hope you get with bob and witness the difference for yourself, you will be surprised mate, they cover the ground very fast and it looks like there not going that fast, say yes if you get an invite.

Jase.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:59 AM
Bob Jeffryes
Passage

Thanks dean, I will take your imformation on board,im happy were her weight is at the min but will give her more grub to bring her down slower now anyway,i flown a imprint finnish last year and couldn't get weight off her,i fed her 1 chick a day and ended up only giving her half for the last few days as she just wouldn't drop,your more than welcome to have a day out with me or I would come to you,whatever you want,i will keep the thread updated and let you know how I get on,so far shes showing no aggression what so ever,just hope it stays that way,towards me I mean,atb bob
Old 11-09-2013, 10:12 AM
Haggard

Nice one Bob. I want to show my gos as many dogs as I can this season and the more company I get with him this season the better.

I hope you have a great season.

Atb
Dean
Old 11-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Bob Jeffryes
Passage

Sorry was men to say jasons advice,lol,i wouldn't listen to dean anyway
Old 11-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Spar09 View Post
sorry was men to say jasons advice,lol,i wouldn't listen to dean anyway
That makes 2 of us.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Bob Jeffryes
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
Nice one Bob. I want to show my gos as many dogs as I can this season and the more company I get with him this season the better.

I hope you have a great season.

Atb
Dean
are you sure you don't just want to borrow the dogno worries mate,roll on october
Old 11-09-2013, 12:48 PM
Jason
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Spar09 View Post
thanks dean, I will take your imformation on board,im happy were her weight is at the min but will give her more grub to bring her down slower now anyway,i flown a imprint finnish last year and couldn't get weight off her,i fed her 1 chick a day and ended up only giving her half for the last few days as she just wouldn't drop,your more than welcome to have a day out with me or I would come to you,whatever you want,i will keep the thread updated and let you know how I get on,so far shes showing no aggression what so ever,just hope it stays that way,towards me I mean,atb bob
Bob if she's been duel imprinted, let her eat as much as she wants each day, get her metabolism going then cut her rations, say one chick a day, let her level off then,then cut it again, it takes a bit longer but this is the time to do it when the covers like it is, I cut JUNOs weight like this yesterday, and today she was acting like she's never been fed, so tomorrow she will level off and she can go back to 6 chicks a day at the weight she is now, until she start the weight increase, then I,ll cut her back again.

Jase.