Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Lost, Found, Sighted or Stolen Birds of Prey?

Closed Thread

Old 19-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Anthony
Brancher

Default Re: Considered changes to the IBR - your thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merger View Post
I like some on here can remember when the DOE would ring you if your hawk was found!! In 99..I lost a Male Barbary.. after a few days I was informed he was at a rescue centre,, I was very glad I had the phone call from the Jenny at IBR.. however in order to collect the falcon, I had to first pay ú30.. donation to be given the Address, of were my falcon was being kept. On collection and very happy to have him back.. I made the descision then to put my own mobile number on every bird I owned there after.. this consiquently reunited me with a few falcons of my own , and many more that were sold on..for many years..including last year!! 3 yrs ago I lost a Tircel Peregrine at woodhall spa.. after spending the whole meet sleeping in my truck, I came home empty handed, a week later I recieved a phone call from a falconer who had had my bird for a couple of days, I instantly drove to Boulton I think, but on transit the Tircel had died on the way there..in hindsight he should have been crop tubed, for a few days, then liquid fed..He was with a falconer, that was not over experienced..In the early 90s while working at a Falconry School..every Hawk we had, over 30..had a small pet disc fitted, onto the anklet, one side said FORD,, the other side had a phone number.. this number was the Schools VET.. after picking up my Tircel, only then did the importance of what Steve had put on the disk,, make sence..
thanks for ending it now, boys that has come from a old boy.
Old 19-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs6700 View Post
Guys. I am after some feed back please.
Keith & I have been running the IBR for several months now and are doing our best to get the database up to date and so we can be more efficient in helping people to get their birds back. I don't think there is any doubt in anyone's mind that the IBR does work!
Instead of registering birds for 3 years how about registering them for 12 months for ú5? The reason for this is that a lot can happen in 3 years. People move house, birds get moved on and the IBR never gets informed. Plus in the current financial climate ú15 can be a lot of money to pay out in one hit. I am not trying to de-value the IBR, I just want to be able to make sure the database is kept as up to date as possible and so birds that are lost are reunited quickly. Keith and I are here to continue to provide a service that was first created in 1994 and to date has reunited just over 5800 birds.
Your thoughts??

Babs (IBR)
I have quoted the original post, as many seem to have lost their way in the discussions.

As I read it, Babs and Keith are looking to see if there is anything that can be done to help improve their service, NOT an arguement as to whether their service is worthwhile.

If you don't want to use them, fine, just move on

For my part, I think for a small amount of money,
The service is excellant.
Old 19-03-2013, 04:04 PM
David Goodwin
Haggard

Babs if you want to cover the year subscription then go ahead , its your business and i for one think its a good idea as so many birds are sold on after a season ?? so it could keep in check with been yearly for some , the I.B.R HAS over the year reunited many a lost bird so keep up the good work
Old 19-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Kevin Riach - BFC Mid West region
Passage

The IBR was set up origanally, after the collapse of Bird registration, in the 90s, for many falconers who rememberd those days, it was not such a great thing! yes you didnt have to register your bird, at a cost of ú17 every movement! but the data base was lost. Since then the IBR has benifited many falconers in claiming there hawk back..and of course the IBR has benifited,, but here is my take on the current IBR..A new falconer is given a new hawk,from the breeder, with an IBR ring, and a document to fill in and reregister his new charge, I am guessing here, but will say, 70% will probably not! So now we have a hawk out, lost,,with a phone number on that relates to a lost and found service..and guess what, the new falconer thought the hawk was rubbish so past it on.. on bird trader! the chances of this Hawk making its way back to its last owner is getting slimmer by the minute!.. The IBR will do all in its powers to get the hawk back and reunited,, but its looking slim.. in this day and age, there is absolutley no reason what soever that a Hawk cannot be reunited with the last person to let it go! we have telemetry that actually works!, microchipping, closed rings, split rings, pet discs, and if you feel need, written jesses, wich may rot and fall out..its just down to the falconer who is flying his hawk, to make sure a layman can get his hawk back to the mews...I personally think maybe an IBR disc, may be better, wich can be purchased as an after sale,for a one off payment.. that then relates to the person flying the hawk at the time, a numbered disc, is very visable, for perhaps a school teacher, thats just chucked his coat over your hawk!, as long as its fitted..it would relate to 1 person flying the hawk, breeder ring details would be held on database, for identification..you could maybe have different coloured disks for different species,, so you know what your dealing with if someone rings up..ie pink for Harris Hawks..as there are many!! this would do away with, fees, hassle , paperwork, wich is why many falconers simply cant be bothered.
Old 19-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Barbara & Keith
Passage

Thank you for all your comments and views. Just before I ask for this thread to be closed down I would just like to say a couple of things. The IBR was formed to help reunite lost and found birds. At the end of the day Keith and I are here to provide a service not make shed fulls of money and I did not come on here to tout for business. I just wanted to ask everyone's opinion on changing the registration fees but it seems that the thread went off at a bit of a tangent! At the end of the day its your choice. Just for the record, we have reunited 19 birds so far this month so I would like to think that we are at least doing something worth while.

Babs (IBR)
Old 28-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Paul Hill
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper27 View Post
you are a numpty if the falcon travel hundreds of miles away then you should be on the arse of that falcon, so it dont get to that point, you idiot now stop talking poo,
you should stop going on them dating agency, and the distraught and worried owners get the ****** out there and look for your bird.
Swearing another 7 day ban!