Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Broadwings - Buteo > Harris Hawks

Old 29-04-2015, 07:23 PM
Chick

Default IBR rings

at how many days old do ibr rings stay on a chick in the nest ?

Atb
Old 30-04-2015, 08:58 AM
Steve Vaughan
Haggard

Default Re: IBR rings

Depends on Species, if Harris Hawks 10 days but you may need to put some surgical tape over it if they have small legs to hold in place for a couple of days. I have had both scenarios with Harris's too loose or struggled to get it on both at 10 days. Also have you put rings on before? or watched someone do it? If not you need to hold the foot in the same position you would when pointing your toes then have the rear toe held against the back of the Leg thread front 3 toes through ring then slide up and over the rear toe and Talon. Oh and make sure you put ring on right way up because it's easy when your flapping a bit to put on upside down! I have done this and it really bugged me that it was on upside down Do it calmly in a firm but carefull manner as the young can be delicate at this age.
Old 30-04-2015, 10:05 AM
Johnny Brine
Passage

If I recall rightly I did my Kestrels at 9 days any later & I would of struggled to get a couple on. I used surgical tape around the ring as well, which is easily removed later.
Old 30-04-2015, 07:14 PM
Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Hawker View Post
Depends on Species, if Harris Hawks 10 days but you may need to put some surgical tape over it if they have small legs to hold in place for a couple of days. I have had both scenarios with Harris's too loose or struggled to get it on both at 10 days. Also have you put rings on before? or watched someone do it? If not you need to hold the foot in the same position you would when pointing your toes then have the rear toe held against the back of the Leg thread front 3 toes through ring then slide up and over the rear toe and Talon. Oh and make sure you put ring on right way up because it's easy when your flapping a bit to put on upside down! I have done this and it really bugged me that it was on upside down Do it calmly in a firm but carefull manner as the young can be delicate at this age.

Thanks Steve for the info
ye ive rung birds as i use to breed a lot of parrots mate was just not sure on the age of ringing my harris chicks if they hatch off
Cheers