Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Members Birds Diaries, Logs and Journals!

Old 31-12-2016, 05:51 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Default Re: Here's Archie.

Change of plan today so out into the fog to a couple of small permissions about 10miles apart. He very quickly spotted a rabbit some 50+m away across an orchard and was after it but it was too close to cover and easily disappeared as he arrived. He was then following on well across to the other side when he suddenly would not move on, I learnt the other day that he must have spotted something and as I walked towards him he suddenly hit the base of the tree beside me where a rabbit was holding, he took some fur but the tree prevented full contact. nothing else doing so I boxed him and went to the next permission. There are chickens on the neighbouring land so have to move well away before releasing him and he quickly went to a stand of trees at the bottom of the slope, he refused all attempts to recall him so I spent the next 10 minutes working along the fence lines and through the long grass, the far fence lines a small water way and as I approached this he came straight past my head into the cover hitting a rabbit proof fence, on the other side was a hen pheasant which headed for a small wood, he followed after it and out of sight. He was now off permission and the other side of the water. I found a narrow point and managed to jump the water coming out in the woods some 20m away from where I last saw him. As I worked back towards him he was trying to take the hen under some thick cover which resulted in her flying high over the trees. I followed him on taking him back onto the permission and he was quickly off taking on a cock bird some 50m ahead which again ended up the other side of a rabbit fence which he bounced off of as he put in. He recalled and a quick showed him to be ok and he was up into the next trees as I again made my way across more water, I came out the other side to find dog walkers watching him, he was holding fast and initially I was not sure if it was the dogs or again that he had spotted something, eventually the dogs moved on and he quickly crossed to another stand of trees, I entered the cover and immediately a cock bird took flight, to my surprise Archie came rapidly out of the trees and very nearly took it out of the air about 20 feet ahead of me, he pitched up into a tall tree and with the light failing I decided to call it a day and recalled him.
A strange day but enjoyable day, as I walked from the woods beads of sweat were running down my head.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:20 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Heavy fog again today so waited till the early afternoon by when it had improved.
The only choice was to go back out after the squirrels so we went to a small local wood, we were quickly in action with them scampering across the ground as we entered the wood and deep into the heavy cover. He sat up over a patch of bramble and I quickly reflushed it but only into even thicker cover he bounced off the top of it. This was the pattern of the session any squirrel we found in a tree after the initial run around the trunk to avoid him came quickly to ground and into cover, most could be flushed but never into open ground.
We worked through the wood in this way before heading home just before the return of the fog and some heavy rain.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:23 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Woke up today to a very heavy frost but a clear bright day. Again we went for woodland squirrels and he made some amazing flights both vertically down the tree trunks as they came to ground and also through the trees to squirrels scurrying across the ground into cover. We reflushed a couple but as it was yesterday they simply went into even heavier cover. We ended the day in some horse fields where he started to chase rats around the barns so recalled him and called it a day.
As it was still sunny I put him out on his swing perch when we returned home.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:23 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusketMad View Post
Good stuff mick ,im glad hes coming round ...the green casting is an indication that hes empty mate and is bile...I shouldnt think it will be too much longer before he eats....Im glad you opted for a red as your first bird and not a harris ...keep this thread going and try not to be put off should anyone put up any derogotary comments..im quite sure that there will be a lot of newbies on here too shy to ask for advice that will be very intrested in his progress and training methods ....
It is really nice to read all these comments and support and people sharing and helping.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:40 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

With the return to work after the xmas hols he has had a few days rest. Friday's session changed at the last minute and instead of the woods I took him to a local nursing home, its a long story but I was asked if I would take him in to see the people staying there. I was a little apprehensive as he is not that comfortable indoors but did not need to worry as he was no problem. It was very humbling to see the smiles appear on the faces as I took him around and we chatted about him. One gentlemen simply said gorgeous as he looked at him, the carer taking me around said that is the first time she has heard him speak. I shall endeavor to return at a later date.

Saturday and Sunday were woodland visits with him putting in some stunning flights as the squirrels scurried for cover and on a couple of occasions it was only the fences that saved them. We some spotted evidence of rabbits by there droppings out on a grassy field but could not locate any holes that could be worked, the frosts have done little to kill off the ground cover or bramble.
Have not seen any pheasants for a while now I guess the shoots have cleared out the majority of them. A large number of song birds were out today and made their presence know always fussing around him when he landed in the trees.
There seem to be mice everywhere so he is continually looking to get them but the cover keeps him away from most, but I'm sure he has had the odd one when I'm unsighted as his weight was high today.

I shall continue for the next few weeks as there is a possibility of some new permission.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:28 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMick View Post
With the return to work after the xmas hols he has had a few days rest. Friday's session changed at the last minute and instead of the woods I took him to a local nursing home, its a long story but I was asked if I would take him in to see the people staying there. I was a little apprehensive as he is not that comfortable indoors but did not need to worry as he was no problem. It was very humbling to see the smiles appear on the faces as I took him around and we chatted about him. One gentlemen simply said gorgeous as he looked at him, the carer taking me around said that is the first time she has heard him speak. I shall endeavor to return at a later date.

Saturday and Sunday were woodland visits with him putting in some stunning flights as the squirrels scurried for cover and on a couple of occasions it was only the fences that saved them. We some spotted evidence of rabbits by there droppings out on a grassy field but could not locate any holes that could be worked, the frosts have done little to kill off the ground cover or bramble.
Have not seen any pheasants for a while now I guess the shoots have cleared out the majority of them. A large number of song birds were out today and made their presence know always fussing around him when he landed in the trees.
There seem to be mice everywhere so he is continually looking to get them but the cover keeps him away from most, but I'm sure he has had the odd one when I'm unsighted as his weight was high today.

I shall continue for the next few weeks as there is a possibility of some new permission.
Well done on the nursing home visit Mick, I'm sure the staff and people staying there appreciated it. I'm pleased to hear that Archie behaved there, I'm sure he made an impact on the residents.

His Squirrel flights sound great, I will get in contact with you shortly about arranging a date, it would be nice to meet up with you again this season.

Best Wishes,

Bradley
Old 15-01-2017, 03:50 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Archie's still trying despite there being very little about, we have had a good few days in the snow. The cold has made the squirrels disappear but we have spotted the odd rabbit and he has been crashing the cover after them but they are just that little bit too close to their holes.
Yesterday he came out of tree and narrowly missed a wood pigeon that I had flushed from the ground, shortly after he went through a five bar gate as he took off after a moorhen and was just closing in when it went into the water and safety, he sat over it a moment before recalling back across the water.

Had a very nasty moment today, i saw him crash in but when i got there he had hold of a pheasant through sheep fencing, he was forced to let go as he had got his right wing stuck in the mesh of the new fence and his head and other wing in the rusty old fence and barbed wire. Thankfully i was carrying side cutters and could cut him free, he was not happy hanging upside down making some very strange noises as i worked over him. Other than feathers out of place he seems ok but called it a day so i could check him out properly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170115C.jpg (40.6 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 20170115A.jpg (74.8 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 20170115B.jpg (42.3 KB, 72 views)
Old 15-01-2017, 05:32 PM
Passage

Really glad you was able to get him out safe hopefully no further damage spotted when you got him home.
Old 15-01-2017, 05:55 PM
Bradley Church
Passage

I hope he's ok Mick, its good to hear that he's still focused and he's getting plenty of opportunities to kill but not so good that his count for this season isn't doing so well. What's he on now?

Happy Hawking,

Bradley
Old 16-01-2017, 10:57 AM
Shane
Brancher

Glad he is ok! Hope the amount of quarry increases over the coming weeks