Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Lost, Found, Sighted or Stolen Birds of Prey?

Old 07-08-2017, 06:46 PM
Haggard

Default Re: Lost Barn Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBerry View Post
One thing I would suggest is if you are intending on getting another bird ..........
And your advice about whether they should/should not get another owl is what? You travel around doing display work and representing 'falconry' to the public, many of whom must be inspired to get a hawk by attending your displays, many of whom will be inspired to keep a 'pet' owl. What sort of advice do you give people....or do you confine the whole issue to a 'trap'?
Old 10-08-2017, 01:21 AM
Egg

Thank you Blueberry, nice picks. yes, we've been looking around the aviary to see where we can make some adjustments, going to have to move some stuff around, and working out how much space I'll need to open and shut a door in a 'trap' - and still be able to turn around! ... maybe a sliding door ... will continue to think. No sightings of my boy, not even a vague one. Counting the hours, the days, the missed feeds. Still out walking, driving, searching. Blasted weather - high winds and heavy rain for a week.

The other thing we're looking at is a Yale type latch. I have a heavy spring closure and bolts, but I want something that actually locks when the door swings shut.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:54 PM
Angie Rooney
Passage

Smile Re: Lost Barn Owl

That's such a pain, we have had the same weather here, high winds and rain, although you would never think it today as the sun is splitting the stones no wind !!!
A trap is very advisable as you never know, I have one on all our owls. It is never easy when you loose a bird, but like every thing accidents happen and I don't think there is a falconer on the planet who at some time hasn't had one.
Sadly you have learnt the hard way and as you are saying you are looking for a way to remedy that one. If there were never any accidents we would be living in a prefect world.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:48 PM
Egg

I can't send a PM until I have more postings. So I'd like to say thank you to those who have sent me kind and thoughtful messages, they are very much appreciated and I appologise for not being able to answer you personally.
Old 18-08-2017, 11:28 AM
Jeff
Passage

Hope you get your bird back safe
Old 21-08-2017, 02:39 PM
Egg

Hope you find your owl OP. I don't even have a bird yet but I'm upset even thinking about losing her. do you have any pictures? There's a good chance that she is alive and around somewhere, so maybe you can post flyers around your neighborhood? And for everyone telling you that you shouldn't get a new bird, that's bull ****. Different people grieve in different ways and you absolutely should do whatever makes you happy. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenÚ View Post
And your advice about whether they should/should not get another owl is what? You travel around doing display work and representing 'falconry' to the public, many of whom must be inspired to get a hawk by attending your displays, many of whom will be inspired to keep a 'pet' owl. What sort of advice do you give people....or do you confine the whole issue to a 'trap'?
I'm a beginner so forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't it perfectly legal and normal to educate with your bird? I seriously doubt anybody who is willing to go through the intense process to become an apprentice would do it on a whim after seeing a falconer and his/her bird. And who wouldn't want more passionate people to join the sport? I mean, you have to get inspiration from somewhere, right? You don't just wake up one day and decide you need to become a falconer. My inspiration came from meeting and speaking to falconers who were out in public with their birds. Previous to this, I had zero knowledge about the partnership and bond a falconer has with their raptor. Not trying to be rude or anything, just a different opinion, and I totally agree with you that someone without the bird's best interest at heart should never become a falconer.
Old 22-08-2017, 10:45 AM
Egg

OP, any sign of your owl?

Last edited by Sue2; 30-08-2017 at 07:46 PM. Reason: clean up
Old 30-08-2017, 07:56 PM
Passage

Two people banned.
No bad language or abuse allowed on this forum.
Please keep it friendly