Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > General Falconry & Bird Talk

Old 09-08-2017, 07:44 PM
John
Passage

Default Re: Day Old Chick ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aitchi130475 View Post
Sounds about right to me. But I don't use them
If you don't mind me asking what do you use , myself use DOC, quail, and rabbit , cant use RATS as I'm a big girl just seeing them
Old 09-08-2017, 08:03 PM
Banned
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightShadow View Post
If you don't mind me asking what do you use , myself use DOC, quail, and rabbit , cant use RATS as I'm a big girl just seeing them
I use quail rabbit.

Docs when hunting .

And i dont use rats lol.
They horrible
Old 09-08-2017, 09:17 PM
Banned
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorMan1 View Post
200 chicks for £7.70 we buy 1000 at a time plus rats, mice, quail etc etc
Yes £38.50 1000 and then the rest gets discounted. Last delivery if took away the chicks would be £10 less so it worked out a penny a chick
Old 09-08-2017, 10:30 PM
Mark
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0M View Post
Yes £38.50 1000 and then the rest gets discounted. Last delivery if took away the chicks would be £10 less so it worked out a penny a chick
Yes my mate orders lots of rats mice etc. He only buys the chicks to get the discount. I have known him to buy the chicks just for the discount and throw them away as he didn't have room for them. The saving he makes by buying the chicks by far outways the cost of the chicks.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:16 AM
Banned
Passage

Quote:
Yes my mate orders lots of rats mice etc. He only buys the chicks to get the discount. I have known him to buy the chicks just for the discount and throw them away as he didn't have room for them. The saving he makes by buying the chicks by far outways the cost of the chicks.
I wouldn't throw them away. I don't understand why they get looked down upon. If it's the only thing the birds are fed then yes bad news but if part of a mixed diet then perfectly fine in my opinion. As I see it eggs are good quality food which contain plenty of nutrients, proteins, amino acids and vitamins also iodine and if it's changed into a chick then most of that goodness must be knocking about somewhere... Anyway I get the 1,000 chicks and then get enough of the other stuff I can handle to fill the freezers. Have had to squeeze a box of chicks in to the little gaps to make them all fit on occasion .
Tom
Old 10-08-2017, 05:45 AM
Mark
Passage

Quote:
I wouldn't throw them away. I don't understand why they get looked down upon. If it's the only thing the birds are fed then yes bad news but if part of a mixed diet then perfectly fine in my opinion. As I see it eggs are good quality food which contain plenty of nutrients, proteins, amino acids and vitamins also iodine and if it's changed into a chick then most of that goodness must be knocking about somewhere... Anyway I get the 1,000 chicks and then get enough of the other stuff I can handle to fill the freezers. Have had to squeeze a box of chicks in to the little gaps to make them all fit on occasion .
Tom
He doesn't look down upon them Tom he only buys them to get the discount for the other products to feed his snakes on. He simply on the odd occasion hasn't the room for them all. Although nowadays we seem to find homes for them between us. Chicks are a very good food source when incorporated into a balanced diet, as you have said. I don't understand why some people say I haven't fed chicks for years, as if looking down on people that use them and implying that they aren't a good source of food.
When they are no longer available people will sorely miss them!
Old 10-08-2017, 09:14 AM
Mark
Passage

I pay £6 a box roughly 200-250 in a box
Old 10-08-2017, 09:47 AM
John
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark23576 View Post
I pay £6 a box roughly 200-250 in a box
That's very good
Old 10-08-2017, 09:20 PM
Banned
Passage

Quote:
He doesn't look down upon them Tom he only buys them to get the discount for the other products to feed his snakes on. He simply on the odd occasion hasn't the room for them all. Although nowadays we seem to find homes for them between us. Chicks are a very good food source when incorporated into a balanced diet, as you have said. I don't understand why some people say I haven't fed chicks for years, as if looking down on people that use them and implying that they aren't a good source of food.
When they are no longer available people will sorely miss them!
Sorry Mark didn't mean your friend meant people in general seem to think they are bad. Id probably throw the chicks before anything else because it's the cheapest product to replace. I'm assuming their bad image comes from people seeing people chastise people who only feed their birds chicks and then thinking it's because the chicks are no good, when actually it's because they ONLY feed chicks. If we only ate chicken which is a good healthy food then it wouldn't be long before things started going wrong with us.
Too right they would be missed, even if it's just by the people who buy them to obtain the discount 😂 On the days I feed chicks it costs me about 3p per bird which isn't bad.
Atb
Tom
Old 10-08-2017, 10:38 PM
Mark
Passage

Quote:
Sorry Mark didn't mean your friend meant people in general seem to think they are bad. Id probably throw the chicks before anything else because it's the cheapest product to replace. I'm assuming their bad image comes from people seeing people chastise people who only feed their birds chicks and then thinking it's because the chicks are no good, when actually it's because they ONLY feed chicks. If we only ate chicken which is a good healthy food then it wouldn't be long before things started going wrong with us.
Too right they would be missed, even if it's just by the people who buy them to obtain the discount 😂 On the days I feed chicks it costs me about 3p per bird which isn't bad.
Atb
Tom
Yes Tom I like to use chicks as part of my birds diet. I mix it with quail, rabbit , squirrel and pheasant with the odd mouse here and there, in the Summer. In the winter mine is mainly fed on what it catches (mainly rabbit and pheasant)mixed up with chicks. They seem to do well on it.
I know what you mean though some people see the doc as a poor food source. I think as long as its mixed with other natural whole foods then it has a good nutritional value in the diet.