Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Members Birds Diaries, Logs and Journals!

Old 24-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Ross Ricken
Haggard

Default "Halle" Wild Take (Irish Peregrine Falcon)

Well where do i start,last week i got my letter in the post so say mt application to take a peregrine from the wild had been successful but there was some new stipulations regarding the granting of the licence,
the most difficult of all was NPWS were looking for a letter from the landowner with his contact number,i was refused 3 local eyrie's for reasons unbeknown to me so i found it really really difficult to gain permission onto land where some new eyrie's were located,
after alot of refusals and some very very stressful phones calls and day waiting a very good friend came to the rescue,Ollie Fitz a fellow friend and falconer went out of his way on so many occasions first sorting out permission on a local eyrie from a local farmer granted me permission,then ollie had to go back to the said farmer to get documentary evidence again another new stipulation but in all fairness and fair play my good friend didn't bat an eye lid and sorted everything out for me(thank you every so much Ollie)
a week later the 2 licences came in the post after all had been checked and on agreeing with my district conservation officer the date and time was set for today 5pm to take a female from a very old and famous land mark called Hallorans Rock on the banks of the blackwater river just outside a town called fermoy.
i was kitted out and at 5 on the button my dco gave me the ok to start the climb,it was easier to climb up rather than absail down so up i went 25ft or so with Ollie keeping a close eye on things,wheni got the the ledge there was 4 healthy chicks i think 3 female and a male,
now i didn't get a chance to take any pics with my own camera as i was kindly asked by my ranger to be as fast as i could so not to disturb the chicks and parents so last thing i wanted to be doing was getting out my own camera and clicking away,so i put her into my bag and descended back to the river bank,we said our fair wells and headed back to Ollie's place for a glass of coke well deserved seens as it was 25 deg and a hell of a climb up for me i was in a bog of sweat when i got to the van lol

just a big thank you to a few fellow friends and falconers who help me out through all this only for you guys this dream would not have came through,
Ollie--- without ur help mate i wouldnt have been able to fulfill this licence
Alan ---for ur help trying to gain me permission on various local eyries
Keith---for helping me with the 1st eyrie and phone numbers
john--- for the climbing gear and help along the way

cheers guys its great that theres still some good will and friendship within the falconry world in Ireland and thank you kindly for helping me out
atb ross

Old 24-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Ross Ricken
Haggard

Default Re: "Halle" Wild Take (Irish Peregrine Falcon)

Old 24-05-2012, 10:44 PM
Ashley Barnes
Haggard

Brilliant Ross, well pleased for you, really look forward to this.
Old 24-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Alex Brown
Haggard

Your a lucky guy Ross, have a safe and enjoyable season and beyond with the bird.

ATB

Alex
Old 24-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Dave
Egg

Im very envious,, the very best of luck with your new falcon.
Atb Dave
Old 24-05-2012, 10:50 PM
Passage

Good man ross also look forward tpo this thread and seeing her go when u come over
Old 24-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Karl
Haggard

PLEASE PLEASE remove this thread now - too jealous already!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 24-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Ross Ricken
Haggard

cheers guys it was a real privilage to be able to fullfill this licence,im over the moon and tbh only for the help i got i would have never been able to make a long time dream come through,ollie got some pics of the climb so hoping i can get them off his phone and put some up,to be able to sit next to the eyasses on the ledge and look over there view on the river blackwater is something ill never forget it was truelly awesome, this is the only pic i can find of the nest site and old post card

Old 24-05-2012, 11:04 PM
Stewart Robertson
Haggard

Congratulations Ross. You are a lucky man. Good luck with your new charge. Typical female, fast asleep when you least want it,
Old 24-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Phil Myers
Haggard

Thumbs up Re: "Halle" Wild Take (Irish Peregrine Falcon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ricks View Post
Well where do i start,last week i got my letter in the post so say mt application to take a peregrine from the wild had been successful but there was some new stipulations regarding the granting of the licence,
The most difficult of all was NPWS were looking for a letter from the landowner with his contact number,i was refused 3 local eyrie's for reasons unbeknown to me so i found it really really difficult to gain permission onto land where some new eyrie's were located,
After alot of refusals and some very very stressful phones calls and day waiting a very good friend came to the rescue,Ollie Fitz a fellow friend and falconer went out of his way on so many occasions first sorting out permission on a local eyrie from a local farmer granted me permission,then ollie had to go back to the said farmer to get documentary evidence again another new stipulation but in all fairness and fair play my good friend didn't bat an eye lid and sorted everything out for me(thank you every so much Ollie)
A week later the 2 licences came in the post after all had been checked and on agreeing with my district conservation officer the date and time was set for today 5pm to take a female from a very old and famous land mark called Hallorans Rock on the banks of the blackwater river just outside a town called fermoy.
I was kitted out and at 5 on the button my dco gave me the ok to start the climb,it was easier to climb up rather than absail down so up i went 25ft or so with Ollie keeping a close eye on things,wheni got the the ledge there was 4 healthy chicks i think 3 female and a male,
Now i didn't get a chance to take any pics with my own camera as i was kindly asked by my ranger to be as fast as i could so not to disturb the chicks and parents so last thing i wanted to be doing was getting out my own camera and clicking away,so i put her into my bag and descended back to the river bank,we said our fair wells and headed back to Ollie's place for a glass of coke well deserved seens as it was 25 deg and a hell of a climb up for me i was in a bog of sweat when i got to the van lol

Just a big thank you to a few fellow friends and falconers who help me out through all this only for you guys this dream would not have came through,
Ollie--- without ur help mate i wouldnt have been able to fulfill this licence
Alan ---for ur help trying to gain me permission on various local eyries
Keith---for helping me with the 1st eyrie and phone numbers
John--- for the climbing gear and help along the way

Cheers guys its great that theres still some good will and friendship within the falconry world in Ireland and thank you kindly for helping me out
Atb ross

Great Pics, Ross well done and the best of luck wuth your new Eyass
Need any advice drop me a pm?
Atb
Phil