Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco

Old 17-08-2014, 03:19 PM
Matthew
Passage

Default Wild hobbies in Merseyside/Lancashire?

I went to Rutland bird fair yesterday and had a great day, I met lolo Williams (top bloke), bill oddie ( little ignorant weirdo), Johnny Kingdom (top bloke) and best of all Chris packham who is another top bloke. I had a brief chat with him and got him to sign a book I bought called a sparrowhawks lament which the author David cobham also signed along with Bruce pearson. Having a look at it this morning it states that there are at least 2800 pairs of hobbies in Britain. Now I know that they have nested in cheshire but has anyone ever seen them in Merseyside or Lancashire? They must be nesting here as they have been seen in Southern Scotland. I've never seen a hobby and I reckon my best chance is the end of August/ beggining of September when the young are on the wing as well as the adults. Obviously I know that over water is there favourite hunting grounds where flying insects are plentiful. I am on a mission to see 1 before they go back to Africa mid to end of September.

Atb Matty
Old 17-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Johnny Brine
Passage

Default Re: Wild hobbies in Merseyside/Lancashire?

Hi Matty,
I belong to a Birdforum & there are a couple of Hobby threads there "Hobby thread 2013" is a good read, I don't know if you'll be able to read without joining the forum, but it's free & worth it. Here's a link
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=256011

Johnny B
Old 17-08-2014, 04:43 PM
Sean Donnelly
Haggard

I've seen more Hobbies in Lincolnshire this summer then ever before, in fact I've probably seen more this one year then all other years added together, I was considering starting a thread to ask if others have witnessed similar.
I've also seen a Merlin charging down a hedgerow.
Old 17-08-2014, 04:54 PM
Matthew
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perebrine View Post
Hi Matty,
I belong to a Birdforum & there are a couple of Hobby threads there "Hobby thread 2013" is a good read, I don't know if you'll be able to read without joining the forum, but it's free & worth it. Here's a link
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=256011

Johnny B
Hi Johnny thanks for that. I just read all 8 pages. Seems there is quite a lot in cheshire so I don't see why they shouldn't be in Merseyside or Lancashire. Every year they are increasing and spreading up the country. Close by we have Carr mill dam so I think on the next sunny day we have I am gunna take the binos and find a quiet spot and just sit and scan the sky for a couple of hours. Up until 2 years ago I never thought I would see a red kite around here but I was round the tip in September and was talking to the falconer that does bird clearance there and we both seen 3 kites fly over so anything is possible.

Atb Matty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean D View Post
I've seen more Hobbies in Lincolnshire this summer then ever before, in fact I've probably seen more this one year then all other years added together, I was considering starting a thread to ask if others have witnessed similar.
I've also seen a Merlin charging down a hedgerow.
Send a few up this way Shaun lol. Beggining of September will be the best time to see them because not only have you got the adults you've also got all this years young flying around. I am sure once I see my first I will be seeing them all the time. They are 1 of our our birds of prey that are increasing every year most are declining unfortunately.

Atb
Old 17-08-2014, 05:07 PM
Sean Donnelly
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Bird View Post
Hi Johnny thanks for that. I just read all 8 pages. Seems there is quite a lot in cheshire so I don't see why they shouldn't be in Merseyside or Lancashire. Every year they are increasing and spreading up the country. Close by we have Carr mill dam so I think on the next sunny day we have I am gunna take the binos and find a quiet spot and just sit and scan the sky for a couple of hours. Up until 2 years ago I never thought I would see a red kite around here but I was round the tip in September and was talking to the falconer that does bird clearance there and we both seen 3 kites fly over so anything is possible.

Atb Matty

Send a few up this way Shaun lol. Beggining of September will be the best time to see them because not only have you got the adults you've also got all this years young flying around. I am sure once I see my first I will be seeing them all the time. They are 1 of our our birds of prey that are increasing every year most are declining unfortunately.

Atb

I live on a farm estate that has a massive amount of swallows, during the right conditions there can be 100+ in the air at anyone time and they are a great alarm for looking up, I have noticed the intensity of the alarm goes up tenfold when its for a hobby and literally every swallow and House Martin in the area joins in.
Old 17-08-2014, 05:30 PM
Brancher

Quote:
..... They are 1 of our our birds of prey that are increasing every year most are declining unfortunately. Atb
I must disagree. The following link is to the latest official counts supplied by the UK authorities to the EU under the Wild Bird Directive. It shows that MOST birds of prey are increasing in the UK, a notable exception being Kestrels.

Http://cdr.eionet.europa.eu/Converte...&source=remote

You can look at all EU countries via http://bd.eionet.europa.eu/activitie...ate_Deliveries
Old 17-08-2014, 05:45 PM
Midge
Passage

Hi Matty there are hobbies about was watching 1 last year well caught a glimpse of 1 ,only on the back fields by ours pal.

Atb
Old 17-08-2014, 05:50 PM
Matthew
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Timbrell View Post
I must disagree. The following link is to the latest official counts supplied by the UK authorities to the EU under the Wild Bird Directive. It shows that MOST birds of prey are increasing in the UK, a notable exception being Kestrels.

http://cdr.eionet.europa.eu/Converte...&source=remote

You can look at all EU countries via http://bd.eionet.europa.eu/activitie...ate_Deliveries
Maybe I should have said some and not most. Merlin declining, hen Harrier seriously declining with only 4 pairs nesting in England last year, sparrowhawk declining, kestrel declining, barn owl declining. The rest are either stable or increasing.
Old 17-08-2014, 05:58 PM
Steve Williams
Passage

Quote:
I went to Rutland bird fair yesterday and had a great day, I met lolo Williams (top bloke), bill oddie ( little ignorant weirdo), Johnny Kingdom (top bloke) and best of all Chris packham who is another top bloke. I had a brief chat with him and got him to sign a book I bought called a sparrowhawks lament which the author David cobham also signed along with Bruce pearson. Having a look at it this morning it states that there are at least 2800 pairs of hobbies in Britain. Now I know that they have nested in cheshire but has anyone ever seen them in Merseyside or Lancashire? They must be nesting here as they have been seen in Southern Scotland. I've never seen a hobby and I reckon my best chance is the end of August/ beggining of September when the young are on the wing as well as the adults. Obviously I know that over water is there favourite hunting grounds where flying insects are plentiful. I am on a mission to see 1 before they go back to Africa mid to end of September.

Atb Matty
Hi Matt
best time to observe Hobbies feeding is late evening, had the pleasure to film them .Creatures of habit same tree ,waiting for the Dung Beetles to take flight , then stayed on the wing till his crop was full ,all eaten on the wing.
Have also seen them hunt as a pair chasing the young Swallows of the wires exciting stuff to watch.

Kind regards Steve
Old 17-08-2014, 06:01 PM
Matthew
Passage

Quote:
Maybe I should have said some and not most. Merlin declining, hen Harrier seriously declining with only 4 pairs nesting in England last year, sparrowhawk declining, kestrel declining, barn owl declining. The rest are either stable or increasing.
I meant to put 3 pairs of hen harriers nested in England this year. A shocking statistic! And none fledged in England in 2013!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
Hi Matt
best time to observe Hobbies feeding is late evening, had the pleasure to film them .Creatures of habit same tree ,waiting for the Dung Beetles to take flight , then stayed on the wing till his crop was full ,all eaten on the wing.
Have also seen them hunt as a pair chasing the young Swallows of the wires exciting stuff to watch.

Kind regards Steve
Thanks for the info Steve. Would they also not be active first thing in the morning after a night of roosting and not feeding? I only have mornings available to view them you see.

Atb

Last edited by Matty Bird; 17-08-2014 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Missed something