Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco

Old 17-08-2014, 06:17 PM
Matthew
Passage

Default Re: Wild hobbies in Merseyside/Lancashire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macavelli View Post
Hi Matty there are hobbies about was watching 1 last year well caught a glimpse of 1 ,only on the back fields by ours pal.

Atb
So they are in Merseyside then lol. I think I am gunna go to Carr mill dam and just sit for a couple of hours and hopefully see one. It's a big expanse of water with plenty countryside round it, fields and woodlands so it's as good a place as any.

Atb
Old 18-08-2014, 03:49 PM
Haggard

Weve got them at brockhalls nature reserve, just of m6 at tickled trout hotel next to river ribble not far from you matty

Sorry ment to say brock holes
Old 18-08-2014, 04:10 PM
Passage

Their range is also creeping further north in Scotland, brave wee souls!
Old 18-08-2014, 04:19 PM
Paul MacDermot
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Bird View Post
So they are in Merseyside then lol. I think I am gunna go to Carr mill dam and just sit for a couple of hours and hopefully see one. It's a big expanse of water with plenty countryside round it, fields and woodlands so it's as good a place as any.

Atb
You may require a bit of luck in your quest!

I have hobbies nesting a mile away from where I live. They keep a low profile here and are easily missed. I have been up to the nest wood twice this year and have heard them, so I know they are there, but at home I have only had 3 sightings. Last year I spent a lot of time near the nest site, trying to get video of food passes. It was possible to spend three hours waiting, and had I not had a clear view of the female or the fledged young through the telescope, I would never have known they were there! Other days the young were quite vocal, or were flying about near the nest. By late September they were venturing further afield and were noisy.... sometimes....

I have a friend who lives in South Gloucestershire and a lot of the villages there are heaving with House Martins. In the summer it is almost impossible for a keen bird of prey man not to see a hobby cruising about looking for an opportunity to strike!

Hope you have some success! They are always exciting to see!

Paul
Old 18-08-2014, 04:40 PM
Matthew
Passage

Thanks for the comments guys, I am going out tomorrow on my first real quest to spot 1. I am going to spend a good few hours scanning the skies. Then on Wednesday I am going to wigan flashes, it's a group of big ponds were the rangers are trying to get bitterns nesting so that would be a good site to see hobbies because last time I was there it was packed with dragonflies and damselflies. I will spot 1 before they leave in September/ October. It's in my head now so I won't fail lol. I know down south that I would have more luck but I know they have nested in cheshire a few years ago and people have seen them around here so I will get to see 1 or more hopefully and maybe even next year find a nest and observe from a distance.

Atb Matty
Old 18-08-2014, 05:21 PM
Geoff
Passage

Hi Matt, I love hobbies and this year I've only seen two,(three if you count the one I had handed in and died) but they are defo on the increase in Staffordshire.
Old 18-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Vernon Brown
Passage

they nest on chat moss. just down the east lancs from you matt.
if you go on the peat bog you should see one.
I watched one fly past a telephone wire that was full of swallows.
they all took off. the hobbie did a lap of a field then just took one out of the air.
it made it look easy.
a mate of mine had one kill its self on his concervertory.last summer.
He lives just near the peat bog
Old 18-08-2014, 10:04 PM
Matthew
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
they nest on chat moss. just down the east lancs from you matt.
if you go on the peat bog you should see one.
I watched one fly past a telephone wire that was full of swallows.
they all took off. the hobbie did a lap of a field then just took one out of the air.
it made it look easy.
a mate of mine had one kill its self on his concervertory.last summer.
he lives just near the peat bog
The east lancs is right behind our back garden lol, literally 20 ft. So is chat moss towards Manchester or going the other way towards Liverpool? That's a shame about the 1 that killed itself on your mates conservertry. Was it an inexperienced juvenile?

Atb
Old 19-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Matthew
Passage

Well no joy in finding a hobby today, although I did see 13 buzzards, 3 kestrels and 2 sparrowhawks. I also found a wood that had young spars calling in it. I seen a guy that was photograph in king fishers and he told me he seen a hobby 2 years ago round Carr mill dam fighting with a kestrel. In the picture on that field there were hundreds of house martins and swallows so I hung around but no joy. In the wood to the right of the pic is where the young spars were calling. Going to try again tomorrow at wigan flashes and then maybe somewhere else also.

Atb Matty

Pic of field with loads of swallows and martins
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (96.2 KB, 103 views)
Old 20-08-2014, 08:23 PM
Matthew
Passage

Went to wigan flashes today, didn't see a hobby but I reckon that's the place to spot them. I had the family with me and we were walking down the main cycle path for about an hour and the missus says she needs to squeeze a lemon lol. So I said let's walk to the end and see if there are any pubs so she could go the loo and we could have a drink. So we walked and walked and before we know it were in wigan town centre. 1st pub wouldn't let us in coz kids had to be out by 3 so we went somewhere else and got a drink and a bite to eat. The car was parked at platt bridge so we had to walk back through wigan flashes. I read yesterday on a bird forum that hobbies have been seen there and it's only a 10 min drive from where I live so I am gunna keep trying there. I seen 3 buzzards today and hundreds of swallows, swifts and house and sand martins flying over the water. Also loads of ducks, geese and a huge number of swans. Also dragonflies everywhere. I will be trying again there this week. Here's a pic of my lad jack from today

Atb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (97.1 KB, 88 views)