Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > FALCONRY HUNTING & HAWKING DISCUSSIONS > General Falconry & Bird Talk

Old 21-12-2014, 10:10 AM
Wayne
Brancher

Default Problems with wild common Buzzards.

I've been hearing a few horror stories of a late with buzzards killing falconry birds on kills the latest one to be a female Harris Hawk.
Has anyone else had the same happen to them and would like to share?
Old 21-12-2014, 11:29 AM
Colin Taylor
Passage

Default Re: Problems with wild common Buzzards.

Some years ago I lost an excellent falcon to a buzzard, the falcon was feeding on a block and the buzzard mugged it from behind, he was 7/8ths Gyr.
On the reverse side of this, I had a goss that would go well out of her way to kill any buzzard she seen, to the point I could not risk flying her in certain areas, as she would pull of a pursuit flight to target a buzzard, luckily she was never hurt herself, I put her behaviour down to being territorial, as she had hunted over this area regularly for 7 years plus.
Colin
Old 21-12-2014, 11:48 AM
Johnny Brine
Passage

I heard someone had a Merlin on a Kill, killed by a Buzzard this season.
Old 26-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJTaylor View Post
Some years ago I lost an excellent falcon to a buzzard, the falcon was feeding on a block and the buzzard mugged it from behind, he was 7/8ths Gyr.
On the reverse side of this, I had a goss that would go well out of her way to kill any buzzard she seen, to the point I could not risk flying her in certain areas, as she would pull of a pursuit flight to target a buzzard, luckily she was never hurt herself, I put her behaviour down to being territorial, as she had hunted over this area regularly for 7 years plus.
Colin
I've had a female peregrine attacked on the block by a wild buzzard. Fortunately I saw what was happening and managed to chase it off. I think buzzards are the ultimate opportunists - especially when really hungry
Old 26-12-2014, 04:55 PM
Dale
Passage

Wink Re: Problems with wild common Buzzards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJTaylor View Post
Colin
Iv personally never had a bird attacked by a buzzard but my female Harris will also go out her way to take a buzzard we also have to be careful where we fly

Dale
Old 26-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Gary Parker
Brancher

Hi Wayne out flying my male Harris couple of months ago when a buzzard took my bird , he came in from above and stooped grabbing my bird around the wing both came out of the tree tumbling to the ground I ran in and the buzzard managed to break free and made his escape . In all my years of flying birds this was a first and luckily for my harris no harm done. Always on my guard now when out hunting.
Old 27-12-2014, 12:07 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

This summer i have been flying a male Gyr x Saker, and in the early stages of flying free, he had his first kill robbed by a pair of Buzzards, after all he was on there patch, i found him cowering in a wooded strip chittering as i made in, after this incident when ever a Buzzard appeared in the sky while he was eating on the lure, he would stop eating and let out a warning cry. In the early stages of kite flying he refused to go up if a Buzzard was about, however things turned around one day instead of flying the kite he stormed off the glove to a distant hill were we saw a Buzzard stooping at something, he hit the Buzzard so hard, that it flew off in a peculiar manner, clearly hurt, after waiting 5 minutes for his return, i got a steady signal to the adjacent hill, so decided to go over there, on arriving i found him on the head and shoulders of a full grown rat with a rather large crop. He had obviously returned the favour & pinched the Buzzards dinner, after this incident when ever he saw a buzzard he would beeline it, bind and come cartwheeling down to the ground, i would run in, but the Buzzard would always get away long before i arrived. On occasion when down with one the other would come to its assistance and Max would then fly back to me for protection, of late the buzzards don't bother him and vice verse'a they have mutual respect now.
Old 27-12-2014, 02:12 PM
Gary Parker
Brancher

My gyr saker hates buzzards when ever he spots them he's off on a mission . The first time he spotted one , which was on a soar high over a wood he just made a bee line got above it and stooped he knocked it down the buzzard cartwheeled down managed to make it into the wood. If he's on his block and one comes overhead I soon know with the calling . Good guard dog ,as people have said couldn't trust them.
Old 30-12-2014, 07:02 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamishHawk View Post
This summer i have been flying a male Gyr x Saker, and in the early stages of flying free, he had his first kill robbed by a pair of Buzzards, after all he was on there patch, i found him cowering in a wooded strip chittering as i made in, after this incident when ever a Buzzard appeared in the sky while he was eating on the lure, he would stop eating and let out a warning cry. In the early stages of kite flying he refused to go up if a Buzzard was about, however things turned around one day instead of flying the kite he stormed off the glove to a distant hill were we saw a Buzzard stooping at something, he hit the Buzzard so hard, that it flew off in a peculiar manner, clearly hurt, after waiting 5 minutes for his return, i got a steady signal to the adjacent hill, so decided to go over there, on arriving i found him on the head and shoulders of a full grown rat with a rather large crop. He had obviously returned the favour & pinched the Buzzards dinner, after this incident when ever he saw a buzzard he would beeline it, bind and come cartwheeling down to the ground, i would run in, but the Buzzard would always get away long before i arrived. On occasion when down with one the other would come to its assistance and Max would then fly back to me for protection, of late the buzzards don't bother him and vice verse'a they have mutual respect now.
This is certainly part of the answer !
My G/S tiercel & imprint female Gos now always take the fight to the buzzards & have yet to come off badly.
They are both 3 times intermewed & both will target them hundreds of yards away whether the buzzard has food or not.
Atb
Old 03-01-2015, 06:01 AM
Brancher

Thats shocking they seem so small here we have red tails all over I get to see one hunt all the time behind my house. I never hear of the falconer i know complain.