Falconry Forum (IFF)


Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-09-2015, 04:31 PM
CotswoldRedtail's Avatar
CotswoldRedtail CotswoldRedtail is offline
Ash Lawson
Passage
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 2,257
Default Wild Goshawk

We get one or two gosses over here quite regularly, watching the male (I believe it's the same one) hunting is quite a spectacle. He's a crow specialist from what I've seen. Just had the privilege of watching him soar to a spec in very short order, maybe a minute or two, before producing the kind of stoop, fully tucked and vertical, that would make gamehawkers quiver. Given what I've seen of him I really believe he would give a falcon a run for its money in a stoop, he's fast.
__________________
Never get mad, just get even!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-09-2015, 08:23 PM
WaveRaider's Avatar
WaveRaider WaveRaider is offline
Gary
Brancher
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 483
Default Re: Wild Goshawk

Very nice,
I have seen spars do the same.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-09-2015, 09:29 PM
CotswoldRedtail's Avatar
CotswoldRedtail CotswoldRedtail is offline
Ash Lawson
Passage
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 2,257
Default Re: Wild Goshawk

It was Gary. Seen it once before over a campsite outside Falmouth. Really lucky to have regular Gos sightings here.
__________________
Never get mad, just get even!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-09-2015, 05:51 PM
Mustelid Mustelid is offline
Egg
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Monmouth
Posts: 13
Default Re: Wild Goshawk

I live near Monmouth and there are lots of Gos not too far from me. Great to see.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-09-2015, 07:43 AM
Habicht's Avatar
Habicht Habicht is offline
Chick
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: If i'm not in.... i'm out
Posts: 50
Default Re: Wild Goshawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustelid View Post
I live near Monmouth and there are lots of Gos not too far from me. Great to see.
Hi Gavin,

I live in Ross and have permissions between Ross and Monmouth and you're right - lots of Goshawks around. I've had them come into my pigeon decoys when shooting a good few times (always makes me laugh as you can see the Gos sat on a plastic full body thinking "WTF, why wont you die")?.

I was in Monmouth last night and there was a male Gos soaring above the girlfriends house at dusk. I said to her "do you know what that is"? "Is it a pigeon" she says.....bless! PMSL.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-09-2015, 09:58 AM
Mustelid Mustelid is offline
Egg
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Monmouth
Posts: 13
Default Re: Wild Goshawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habicht View Post
Hi Gavin,

I live in Ross and have permissions between Ross and Monmouth and you're right - lots of Goshawks around. I've had them come into my pigeon decoys when shooting a good few times (always makes me laugh as you can see the Gos sat on a plastic full body thinking "WTF, why wont you die")?.

I was in Monmouth last night and there was a male Gos soaring above the girlfriends house at dusk. I said to her "do you know what that is"? "Is it a pigeon" she says.....bless! PMSL.
Hi there,

There's definitely not a shortage of them between Ross and Monmouth, plenty of suitable habitat, though I do wonder about the prey densities in the area.

I've just tried to PM you, but I don't have enough posts to do so! Do you fly a bird yourself?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-09-2015, 12:15 PM
CotswoldRedtail's Avatar
CotswoldRedtail CotswoldRedtail is offline
Ash Lawson
Passage
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 2,257
Default Re: Wild Goshawk

Nice to chat to some locals! Plenty of crows about for the gosses, that seems to be the mainstay here. Nothing in the way of rabbits though, very scarce around here. Either of you fly?
__________________
Never get mad, just get even!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-09-2015, 12:21 PM
Habicht's Avatar
Habicht Habicht is offline
Chick
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: If i'm not in.... i'm out
Posts: 50
Default Re: Wild Goshawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustelid View Post
Hi there,

There's definitely not a shortage of them between Ross and Monmouth, plenty of suitable habitat, though I do wonder about the prey densities in the area.

I've just tried to PM you, but I don't have enough posts to do so! Do you fly a bird yourself?
Hi Gavin,

PM's vs posts, yeah i know. You used to be able to PM straight away after joining, but hey ho...

Unfortunately i'm not flying at the moment, due to my current lifestyle (not enough time during the game season mostly) but the fire never stops burning does it?
I was due to get another bird this year, got everything in place apart from the structure of my aviary and the hawk itself, but then decided that i didn't want to live my misses anymore.... that kind of scuppered that plan for the time being

i haven't read your profile (apart to find out what your name was), so excuse my ignorance, are you flying or are you a noob?

Dan

Ash,

Apologies for hijacking your thread
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-09-2015, 12:29 PM
CotswoldRedtail's Avatar
CotswoldRedtail CotswoldRedtail is offline
Ash Lawson
Passage
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 2,257
Default Re: Wild Goshawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habicht View Post
Hi Gavin,

PM's vs posts, yeah i know. You used to be able to PM straight away after joining, but hey ho...

Unfortunately i'm not flying at the moment, due to my current lifestyle (not enough time during the game season mostly) but the fire never stops burning does it?
I was due to get another bird this year, got everything in place apart from the structure of my aviary and the hawk itself, but then decided that i didn't want to live my misses anymore.... that kind of scuppered that plan for the time being

i haven't read your profile (apart to find out what your name was), so excuse my ignorance, are you flying or are you a noob?

Dan

Ash,

Apologies for hijacking your thread
Not at all, nice to chat to like minded people!
__________________
Never get mad, just get even!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-09-2015, 01:30 PM
Mustelid Mustelid is offline
Egg
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Monmouth
Posts: 13
Default Re: Wild Goshawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CotswoldRedtail View Post
Nice to chat to some locals! Plenty of crows about for the gosses, that seems to be the mainstay here. Nothing in the way of rabbits though, very scarce around here. Either of you fly?
Agreed, rabbits are rare as hens teeth. I do a lot of ferreting/lamping and half a dozen to a dozen rabbits is about all I can hope for.

You're right about the crows... they are everywhere!

I don't fly at the minute, but I'm looking to get out and see some falconry this season, build up some experience and then get sorted out next year.

I'm involved with lots of other fieldsports, I have ten or so ferrets which I use for rats as well as rabbits (great sport), a couple of spaniels for beating and rough shooting, I love lamping the lurcher and I also fish on occasion... work sadly prevents me doing these things as much as I would like!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habicht View Post
Hi Gavin,

PM's vs posts, yeah i know. You used to be able to PM straight away after joining, but hey ho...

Unfortunately i'm not flying at the moment, due to my current lifestyle (not enough time during the game season mostly) but the fire never stops burning does it?
I was due to get another bird this year, got everything in place apart from the structure of my aviary and the hawk itself, but then decided that i didn't want to live my misses anymore.... that kind of scuppered that plan for the time being

I haven't read your profile (apart to find out what your name was), so excuse my ignorance, are you flying or are you a noob?

Dan

Ash,

Apologies for hijacking your thread

Not flying as yet, but hoping to get some experience this season and begin the next.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
goshawk, wild

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.