Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 24-05-2011, 08:30 AM
Mick Kane
Passage

Default Re: The Imprint Goshawk Formula?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutFlying View Post
Thanks Neil,
You can't write everything that is done, each goshawk has slight differences and most of the rearing is adapted as you go along.

Some things I avoid i.e no carcass feeding or early weight reduction.

Yours Jim.
Jim, Angel was at mine for weeks last year, the special formula i used was top secret,

it was to chuck chicks at her twice a day must have worked, !!
Old 24-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Ian M
Brancher

Imprinting teckniques are very much like dieting!
In that
Very few have the discipline to follow them exactly, and when they fail they promise they never snuck a mars bar or a bag of chips and blame the system.
A couple of expierences like that and who can blame the successful for keeping it to themselves.
Old 24-05-2011, 09:55 AM
John formerly It's Alright Ma
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutFlying View Post
each goshawk has slight differences and most of the rearing is adapted as you go along.
Thanks Jim, perhaps the thread should be closed on this basis, and in consideration of Mick's reply

All the best

Johny
Old 24-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Jan Deckers
Passage

My vieuw,
When dealing with animals or train them, there are no strict rules. Because they are living creatures, not machines.
Each individual has his own manual. And it's for the handler to find out wich manual that individual has and how to finetune it. Only by ups and downs, one will find a structure that will work for that individual.
So i think that the magic formula for imprinting is the same as the holy grale

ATb Jan
Old 24-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
I keep reading this stuff on here, contradiction to be believed. What, if anyone can say, is the most reliable, problem free method, of rearing such a hawk?

From what I can gather, it be no different from a barn owl for most folk - take about, exposure, etc, hello to everyone, and everything the fledgling might meet. But then, in austringers, there's the notion of special method; so as to reduce screaming and all the worst habits, quick. Total bull. If such things have happened with austringers, whereby can they show this, then I'm glad. But it is incident, circumstance, and nothing to get excited about, without more example. And nobody can replicate exactly, taking into account the mood of the eyas.

Seems to me that we're responding to anecdote these days, less to real time understanding of juvenile hawk growth. No real science involved, no behaviourism, just stories. Choose your fairy tail. I like the goats gruff.

Johny
my opinion is that, i dont beleive there is or could be one "recipe" that fits all, theyre not clones, so how can a "cookie cutter" approach be effective, i beleive the truth is that most everybody does what everyone else is doing when they only have half a mind to do it. the individuals with the real understanding and experience, have the confidence to do things theyre own way, and intuitively tailor the handling/training/weight reduction to each hawk. no secret! just making it up as you go along.
when watching footage of wild hawks, once those eyas start penning, the parents seem to want nought to do with they brattish/spiteful behaviour and virtually throw the food at them and are gone, who could blame them, ones enough,gave food for thought atb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameHawker1 View Post
My vieuw,
When dealing with animals or train them, there are no strict rules. Because they are living creatures, not machines.
Each individual has his own manual. And it's for the handler to find out wich manual that individual has and how to finetune it. Only by ups and downs, one will find a structure that will work for that individual.
So i think that the magic formula for imprinting is the same as the holy grale

ATb Jan
yeah, thats what i meant to say , cheers

Last edited by Chris Hawke; 24-05-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 24-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Haggard

Thanks folks, I guess I knew it was a daft thread
Old 24-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Thanks folks, I guess I knew it was a daft thread

Does that make us daft for replying?

Old 24-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Alex Brown
Haggard

Johny I don't think it is daft. If those who have been successful in producing good imprints add to the thread with problems they have encountered and what they did to solve it, it could be a great thread. Especially as very soon some folks will be collecting their first imprints.

ATB

Alex
Old 24-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Johny I don't think it is daft. If those who have been successful in producing good imprints add to the thread with problems they have encountered and what they did to solve it, it could be a great thread. Especially as very soon some folks will be collecting their first imprints.

ATB

Alex
Thanks Alex, you could well be right. But as with anything of this sort, it requires people to be honest and willing to share. I certainly would welcome this, but I won't hold my breath. No offence to anyone by the way,

All the best

Johny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hawke View Post
does that make us daft for replying?
Not at all Chris. It makes you decent.
Old 24-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Alex Brown
Haggard

[QUOTE=Johny;1695085]Thanks Alex, you could well be right. But as with anything of this sort, it requires people to be honest and willing to share. I certainly would welcome this, but I won't hold my breath. No offence to anyone by the way,

All the best

Johny

I know what you mean, we seem to hear about how good some imprints are but never seem to have people passing on their secrets or advice until for some it could well be to late. Would be good to have a few with their versions and how effective they were for comparisons.

For me the best imprints I have seen by a long way are ones that have been taken quite late around 20 to 25 days.

ATB

Alex