Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 24-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Haggard

Default Re: 'Barrabas' - Vernon Brown bred Imprint Male Goshawk

Today was barabbas”s second day on the creance he has been fed on the lure in the garden for a few weeks so he is well accustomed to it, I have been giving him the lure and as soon as he has stopped eating I take the food away from him until the next day, gradually his weight has come down on his own accord , in the mornings he is hungry and quite vocal, yesterday I took him up the hill two fields away popped him on his training perch and attached the creance which I had set out earlier, his garnished lure has been attached to a garden cane and laid in the grass about thirty feet away, I walked back to the end of the creance and lifted the cane holding the lure in the air, the hawk left the perch and took the lure as soon as he saw it.
I gave him skinned chicks once he had finished the meat on the lure, yesterday he ate 2 ˝ chicks before he had enough, in the evening after weathering in the front garden for most o the day he became vocal again so I put him away into a night box until this morning.
This morning the first job was to take him out again, I weighed him then prepared some food, I wanted to do his training session with the kite lofted above him but there was no wind at all , same scenario as yesterday only a longer call off to the lure, as soon as the lure was lifted suspended by the cane he attacked with great aggression, some mantling and wolfing the bait down, I gave him more skinned chicks until he had taken what he wanted then stepping away 3 1/2 chicks today, scooping him up and boxing for home, I will weather him out today until the noise starts again then box him for the night, I plan to give him as much low quality food as he can take in with no regulation until his weight settles down , when he is ready I will suspend the bait to the kite line and begin to fly him off the fist to the bait, increasing the distance and the height of the bait
Keith

Last edited by Keith Barker; 24-08-2011 at 01:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 24-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Dan
Passage

Interesting stuff Keith, please keep the updates coming, I'm very interested to hear how you get on with the kite.
Old 24-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Barker View Post
Today was barabbas”s second day on the creance he has been fed on the lure in the garden for a few weeks so he is well accustomed to it, I have been giving him the lure and as soon as he has stopped eating I take the food away from him until the next day, gradually his weight has come down on his own accord , in the mornings he is hungry and quite vocal, yesterday I took him up the hill two fields away popped him on his training perch and attached the creance which I had set out earlier, his garnished lure has been attached to a garden cane and laid in the grass about thirty feet away, I walked back to the end of the creance and lifted the cane holding the lure in the air, the hawk left the perch and took the lure as soon as he saw it.
I gave him skinned chicks once he had finished the meat on the lure, yesterday he ate 2 ˝ chicks before he had enough, in the evening after weathering in the front garden for most o the day he became vocal again so I put him away into a night box until this morning.
This morning the first job was to take him out again, I weighed him then prepared some food, I wanted to do his training session with the kite lofted above him but there was no wind at all , same scenario as yesterday only a longer call off to the lure, as soon as the lure was lifted suspended by the cane he attacked with great aggression, some mantling and wolfing the bait down, I gave him more skinned chicks until he had taken what he wanted then stepping away 3 1/2 chicks today, scooping him up and boxing for home, I will weather him out today until the noise starts again then box him for the night, I plan to give him as much low quality food as he can take in with no regulation until his weight settles down , when he is ready I will suspend the bait to the kite line and begin to fly him off the fist to the bait, increasing the distance and the height of the bait
keith
Im glad youve started doing a bit with him there keith. ive been looking forward to this Atb
Atb

Old 24-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Joe Hatton
Haggard

Very similar in colour to his brother Keith, who is doing realy well mate, Good luck with him and looking forward to reading your exploits also.

Joe
Old 25-08-2011, 07:23 AM
Viktor - Moderator
Haggard

Very nice Keith!

BTW can you post few pics of your place as it seems very nice to me!

Cheers Viktor

Croatian Goshawker
Old 25-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Haggard

First job this morning was to take out barrabas, I drove up the hill onto grassland and lofted the kite to 400 feet , planting the cane and the lure in the grass and setting out the creance and the training perch, when took the hawk from the box he was looking at the kite with his head cocked to one side, I popped him on the training perch and he was uneasy with the kites presence up there, as I walked back to pick up the lure he bated and came towards me with the creance slowing him down to a halt, I placed him back on the perch and walked back to the cane and lifted it off the ground, he was half watching the bait and half the kite, I walked closer to him until he could not resist the bait and took it in the air.
Whilst he was feeding he was looking at the kite, along with a pair of buzzards that came over to investigate, I gave him as much food as he wanted to eat before he walked away from the lure , skinned chicks.
Very vocal prior to taking him for his training session, yesterday the noise started around three in the afternoon, I put up with it until the missus came home from work then popped him in his night box until this morning.
I will loft the kite higher tomorrow to give him more confidence if we have any wind that is.
Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastreb View Post
Very nice Keith!

BTW can you post few pics of your place as it seems very nice to me!

Cheers Viktor
The house viktor or the countryside around it?
Keith
Old 25-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Viktor - Moderator
Haggard

Both Keith

Croatian Goshawker
Old 25-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Haggard

[QUOTE=Jastreb;1742134]Both Keith

Hello viktor,
Our place is nestled between the rivers Bride and Blackwater valley where the waters meet,
in the second photo you can see the meeting place at strancally, just over the horizon is the sea, in the third photo from a different angle you can see the reclaimed bog, 200 acres of flat grassland .
In winter some of the bog floods holding rafts of snipe wigeon mallard , and wintering whooper swans. The last photo is looking upstream the Blackwater originates in co.kerry and empties into the sea in co.waterford, you should call in some time.
Keith

Old 25-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Viktor - Moderator
Haggard

Beautiful place

Croatian Goshawker
Old 26-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Haggard

Early today I took barrabas up on the hill for his training session, the wind was light , barely a thermal I managed to get my light wind kite up to 300 feet after a while but it was touch and go if it would stay up there, I ran the creance out from the T perch and baited the lure on the cane, as I walked back to the truck to fetch the hawk a mist blew in and partially shrouded the kite.
Today the hawk took little notice of the kite, he looked up at it a few times as we walked over to the T perch, as I walked from the perch, I got half way down the creance and the hawk was coming, I held out my fist and he landed, I walked back to the perch and then walked back with the hawk doing the same again, the third time he stayed put until I lifted the cane from the ground he saw the garnished lure, he left the perch and bound to it in the air.
I fed the hawk on the lure then tossed him more to one side until he did not want any more, today he took four gutted chicks, he was vocal late yesterday afternoon and the same when I picked him up from his night box this morning.
Keith