Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 15-09-2016, 04:27 PM
Egg

Default Goshawk imprint question

Hi Everyone,

I would like to learn more about goshawks (not interested in getting one yet, but preparing for it one day), but there aren't so many around me to get experience. So if some of you more experienced falconers could help, I would like to ask a question regarding this topic.

So I know every bird is an individual, but to prepare for the worst, I would like some information.

1. When people say imprints can be aggressive, how bad does it get? Like attacks people while out training/hunting or just difficult to handle?

2. When people say imprints can be noisy, how noisy is this? I'm familiar with raptor screams, but are we talking like, a trumpet volume or a vacuum cleaner?

BR,

David
Old 15-09-2016, 04:36 PM
Egg

Default Re: Goshawk imprint question

Answer to both questions is that it depends on who done the imprinting and depends on the bird itself, parent reared birds can be aggressive and noisy, whereas some imprints won't be aggressive and won't be noisy at all, like my imprint gos 👍
Old 15-09-2016, 04:37 PM
Egg

Right, thanks for the response. Actually, I'm looking for worst case though. Like if the falconer was just terrible and did a bad job of manning/training.
Old 15-09-2016, 04:42 PM
Egg

Worst case of a badly imprinted goshawk is a one that will hang off your face (which I've seen) it wouldnt be fare to just give you single simple answer mate because like I say every bird is different, some scream there heads off all day long where some don't make a sound, but if someone makes a bad job of imprinting a goshawk then it would be an absolute nightmare and very heard to handle
Old 15-09-2016, 04:50 PM
Egg

No, this is perfect. I really just want to know what the absolute nightmare situation would be like, because it can only get better, if you know what I mean.

My experience so far is with A Harris hawk, which everyone tells me, even for a Harris is exceptionally tame, and I've never heard him scream. People tell me this is quite easy with a Harris hawk, so just in case if I ever take the plunge into something more challenging, I want to know what the risks and worst case maybe. As they say, hope for the best; prepare for the worst.