Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

View Poll Results: Do you fly an Imptint or Parent Reared Goshawk?
Imprint 69 40.12%
Parent Reared 95 55.23%
Passage 8 4.65%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Alf

Default Re: Do you fly an imprint or parent reared Goshawk?

Not to sure on that one I personally feel it’s down to the hawk and what happens after hard penning that counts.
Seen goshawks fed through a cardboard box locked away inside an enclosed aviary until hard penned with no interaction from the breeder go on and solicit copulation that year as brown hawks to the faloner that flew them that year. Alf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Knows View Post
I've always hand fed my goshawks and found that yes if handled correctly it matters not, maybe they have the chance of becoming more aggressive if not managed, but maybe they become a more balanced imprint when they mature. I believe with birds you wish to use for breeding, hand feeding is a very positive thing.
Old 27-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Haggard

I think, hawks are more individualistic than even a lot of falconers give them credit for. I know this thread is about accipiters but if I may digress for a moment, I can tell with almost absolute certainty which of my merlins, as small eyasses, will, if imprinted, turn out to be almost silent, and which will be "whiners".

I choose accordingly.
Henry V Act 2.
Old 27-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Alf

Matt there a lot in that! One of the reasons after seeing Zapp I picked up on his manner strait away you just know don’t you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSpar View Post
I think, hawks are more individualistic than even a lot of falconers give them credit for. I know this thread is about accipiters but if I may digress for a moment, I can tell with almost absolute certainty which of my merlins, as small eyasses, will, if imprinted, turn out to be almost silent, and which will be "whiners".

I choose accordingly.
Old 27-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Haggard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
Matt there a lot in that! One of the reasons after seeing Zapp I picked up on his manner strait away you just know don’t you?

Yes Alf, or at least I know with my own merlins. Several times I, or one of my friends, have studied a batch of eyasses and chosen the silent ones for imprinting. Of course, one doesn't always have the luxury of being able to choose.

Perhaps, with selective breeding... Who knows?
Henry V Act 2.
Old 27-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Alf

Matt I normally get the opportunity through friends to have first pick of young spars.
I tend to look them over with a discerning eye before I make my choice. Alf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSpar View Post
Yes Alf, or at least I know with my own merlins. Several times I, or one of my friends, have studied a batch of eyasses and chosen the silent ones for imprinting. Of course, one doesn't always have the luxury of being able to choose.

Perhaps, with selective breeding... Who knows?
Old 27-04-2009, 09:02 PM
John Tooke
Passage

Quote:
Not to sure on that one I personally feel it’s down to the hawk and what happens after hard penning that counts.
Seen goshawks fed through a cardboard box locked away inside an enclosed aviary until hard penned with no interaction from the breeder go on and solicit copulation that year as brown hawks to the faloner that flew them that year. Alf.
Well i have found this method to create a very calm imprint allowing you to interact with its young for dual imprinting and being very calm with you around the nest and such during the insemination period. Not all imprints allow such interaction with their young or act so gentle towards you during the whole process of inseminating/egg handling/rearing ect. Not stating this to be the only contributing factor to a calm imprint parent as within imprints there are many, but always thought it was definitely one of them. Can't comment about your cardboard box example as its not something i have practised.
Old 27-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Alf

What methods that? I have been reading some of your posts and well it might be me? But I haven’t got the faintest idea what you’re talking about.
What is it you’re trying to say? Alf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Knows View Post
Well i have found this method to create a very calm imprint allowing you to interact with its young for dual imprinting and being very calm with you around the nest and such during the insemination period. Not all imprints allow such interaction with their young or act so gentle towards you during the whole process of inseminating/egg handling/rearing ect. Not stating this to be the only contributing factor to a calm imprint parent as within imprints there are many, but always thought it was definitely one of them. Can't comment about your cardboard box example as its not something i have practised.
Old 28-04-2009, 08:34 AM
John Tooke
Passage

Quote:
What methods that? I have been reading some of your posts and well it might be me? But I haven’t got the faintest idea what you’re talking about.
What is it you’re trying to say? Alf.
It was you that commented on a post that i stated i found "hand feeding" beneficial, so that was the topic in the two comments between us. Didn't realise i was so confusing, please anything that i have posted that you don't understand, point out, and i will try to explain my point of view.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Passage

P/r finnish male, twice intermewed.

Interesting thread, seems p/r are more popular, at least on here.
I wonder if the ratio has changed at all?

Old 27-06-2017, 01:34 AM
Egg

Great thread thanks very much for sharing