Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Members Birds Diaries, Logs and Journals!

Old 25-10-2017, 11:47 PM
Egg

Default Re: Here's Archie.

I have been following this thread with great interest archie is a cracking bird and wat a way to kick off the season long may it continue 👍
Old 26-10-2017, 05:47 AM
Harold James II
Passage

Very nice congrats
Old 26-10-2017, 02:35 PM
Egg

Red-tailed hawks, hard to beat, good all round birds, difficult to find a better bird to work, they just keep getting better once they figure it all out. Congrats.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:28 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Strange day working a small vineyard, we started around the hedgerows and had a few flights at rabbits hiding in the cover but none would break all simply moving in the cover. He suddenly stopped following on and set off out across a field, his wings folded and down he plummeted onto a rabbit hiding in the long grass, a bit of a scuffle but he had it pinned down by the time i got there. Decided to try the new ferrets and we were waiting near a small earth when Archie suddenly let out several ear piercing screams and started bating. i got the ferrets up and boxed and he was still screaming and bating at a line of trees, i released him but instead of heading towards them he flew quickly away and went up into a tree, he would not recall and i even offered the rabbit he had caught but he would not leave the tree. he continually looked at the original tree line. He was clear distressed, i was unable to spot anything and after about 30mins i managed to get him down to the glove and ended the day. I can't think what could have distrubed him so much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171101A.jpg (99.3 KB, 94 views)
Old 02-11-2017, 09:02 AM
Mark Hilary
Brancher

Had the same with my Female Red a few times Mick flying her in Dales one time put it down to Para gliders other time never knew just bare hillsides no treesnot long after first light,piercing scream though Mick goes right through you
Old 02-11-2017, 06:28 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gods County Hawker View Post
Had the same with my Female Red a few times Mick flying her in Dales one time put it down to Para gliders other time never knew just bare hillsides no treesnot long after first light,piercing scream though Mick goes right through you
Thanks for sharing that, I've not stopped thinking about it all day, he is pretty much silent especially in the field, the old call out at home but that's usually buzzards high over head but this was completely different and as you say goes right through you.
At one point I seriously doubted I would get him down and was expecting a long night waiting for him, he was that disturbed and clearly was trying to hide himself away in the only tree in the area that had leaves on.
Rested him today but will go back out tomorrow and see how we get on.
There is a harris loose in the area, I've never seen it but the landowner has shown me pictures of it but I don't think that would concern him greatly and I also think I would have spotted that in the area he was watching.
Hopefully a one off.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:36 PM
Terry
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMick View Post
Strange day working a small vineyard, we started around the hedgerows and had a few flights at rabbits hiding in the cover but none would break all simply moving in the cover. He suddenly stopped following on and set off out across a field, his wings folded and down he plummeted onto a rabbit hiding in the long grass, a bit of a scuffle but he had it pinned down by the time i got there. Decided to try the new ferrets and we were waiting near a small earth when Archie suddenly let out several ear piercing screams and started bating. i got the ferrets up and boxed and he was still screaming and bating at a line of trees, i released him but instead of heading towards them he flew quickly away and went up into a tree, he would not recall and i even offered the rabbit he had caught but he would not leave the tree. he continually looked at the original tree line. He was clear distressed, i was unable to spot anything and after about 30mins i managed to get him down to the glove and ended the day. I can't think what could have distrubed him so much.
Well done on the bunny Mick.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:03 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Its been a quiet week, we had a nice chase at the beginning of the week on a ferreted rabbit which jinked him 3 times before making safety, but since then very little. Really enjoyed this one today, with high winds and rain forecast decided to stay local to a small wood. He followed on through the wood reasonably well keeping in a good position as I worked through but there was nothing about, recalled well and then we set of towards an unused horse field. I was holding him high as we came over the crest of the hill and had the perfect view of him in hard pursuit and at the last second when he folded in his wings and sort of cork screwed over as he went in. And although the bunny made the heavy cover he smashed in very hard with probably the best head grab i've ever seen him have. he was completely under the bramble with it and it took a while to carefully unwrap him before lifting them both out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171110C.jpg (94.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 20171110A.jpg (99.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20171110F.jpg (101.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 20171110E.jpg (98.6 KB, 47 views)
Old 11-11-2017, 04:35 PM
Mick Bourne
Passage

Out in the nettles and bramble by some derelict farm buildings today, We had one attempt off the glove at a cock pheasant but it shook him off, can't really hit them hard enough this way, so put him up onto the building where he sat on the ridge at the top of the apex, twice he came in as i worked through but there are rabbit holes everywhere. Then he suddenly went going straight over the top and going in hard in a ditch, as i caught up hens started to move out and i could see him crested up and wings out so initially it looked good then the squeak and i could see he had a big old rat. Quickly despatched, let him have acouple of pulls at it without breaking in and then traded off. tried for another hour or so but nothing doing so ended the day. Back out tomorrow
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171111 (2).jpg (99.9 KB, 35 views)
Old 11-11-2017, 05:52 PM
Terry
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMick View Post
Out in the nettles and bramble by some derelict farm buildings today, We had one attempt off the glove at a cock pheasant but it shook him off, can't really hit them hard enough this way, so put him up onto the building where he sat on the ridge at the top of the apex, twice he came in as i worked through but there are rabbit holes everywhere. Then he suddenly went going straight over the top and going in hard in a ditch, as i caught up hens started to move out and i could see him crested up and wings out so initially it looked good then the squeak and i could see he had a big old rat. Quickly despatched, let him have acouple of pulls at it without breaking in and then traded off. tried for another hour or so but nothing doing so ended the day. Back out tomorrow
Excellent thread Mick.

He looked good on the Rabbit. Nice solid head hold. His foot clenched right up...