Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Longwings - Falco

Old 07-11-2017, 09:09 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Default Re: Jimmy G,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
Well done Steve nice t have a variety of quarry. Tony
Cheers Tony, It is quite a marvel how versatile peregrines are, especially the tiercels, once again, really sorry about your bird, that's a lovely picture of him you put on the snipe thread, take care my friend or should I say fellow dopple ganger.

Yours in sport Steve.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:36 PM
Brancher

HAHA never been called that before this forum full of education. Tony
Old 14-11-2017, 05:48 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

A little update for the thread, and some self criticism, some days I have been feeding double rations & giving Jimmy G a miss day from flying & feeding, this is the first season I'v tried this with him. I got a bit to blah-say about how much he needed for two days, and got it very wrong, yesterday he weighed in at 538g / 1lb-2.9oz, to say I was worried is an understatement, however his behavior was quite normal. But on release in the field he flew like a daisy cutter, so lured him in & gave him a 4oz crop. This morning I was mortified when he weighed in at 532g / 1lb-2.8oz and should have just fed him up, but his body language said I want to fly. So fly he did, no where as high, but he had enough in the tank and was up for it, some mallards flushed wide on the ditch heading for a splash pond, he chased hard but a throw up over the pond as the ducks dived in, he climbed again, and a pair of mallards were spotted further along the ditch paddling, I sort of ran with a pulled calf muscle in a large d type circle away from the water coarse, coming back in line with them, a quick glance up, he's still there, not high but high enough, a mad dash in shouting and waving arms, up they went down he came binding to the duck and landing 12 yards from the edge not far from a bramble bush. There was no way I could run, the leg really hurt, so it took some time to reach the crossing place, as I arrived the struggling mass was gone, Sherry was yelling, there in the bush, he still had it fast, any longer, he might of lost it, clearly not his strong self, Jimmy took his pleasure eating head & neck, I transferred him to the glove with 1/2 a duck breast, and also fed him 2 deyoked chicks at home, a good 6.7oz crop, and still looking for more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4587.jpg (98.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4591.jpg (96.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4610.jpg (100.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4592.jpg (103.2 KB, 51 views)
Old 14-11-2017, 06:06 PM
Brancher

hi steve good post and makes us think about what we feed and how much we had a very hard frost during week and now a lot warmer up and down like a yo yo regards
tel
Old 14-11-2017, 07:16 PM
Brancher

Hi Steve, I have noticed on several occasions the two day effect with a weight crash. In fact it happened to me this Saturday/Sunday, resulting in a scary Monday morning weigh in. It seems when their weight starts to drop a small increase in ration isnít enough and the fall runs for two days. Whether itís the energy expended, the drop in temperature, or both or even some other factor I donít know. Hope Jimmy is now recovered and look forward to further escapades.
Brian
Old 14-11-2017, 08:51 PM
Steve Skinner
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel View Post
hi steve good post and makes us think about what we feed and how much we had a very hard frost during week and now a lot warmer up and down like a yo yo regards
tel
Hi Tel, I do think a hot feed with bird fat gives the bird some thing extra, I know there are risks with various disease's, this was real falconer error, I should know better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gull Whacker View Post
Hi Steve, I have noticed on several occasions the two day effect with a weight crash. In fact it happened to me this Saturday/Sunday, resulting in a scary Monday morning weigh in. It seems when their weight starts to drop a small increase in ration isnít enough and the fall runs for two days. Whether itís the energy expended, the drop in temperature, or both or even some other factor I donít know. Hope Jimmy is now recovered and look forward to further escapades.
Brian
Hi Brian, I had doubts & never acted on them, Should have made the time to at least weigh the bird, could have given him breakfast even though not flying, the post is to show any beginners that 24/7 attention is needed when flying hawks,and how quickly things can go wrong. The more I fly birds Brian, the more I think they should have at least a small feed every morning if being flown afternoons. I'm off to check him out with a torch right now.