Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > BIRD OF PREY TALK > Shortwings - Accipiter

Old 06-12-2017, 11:40 AM
Haggard

Default Re: 'Barrabas' - Vernon Brown bred Imprint Male Goshawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSquance View Post
Well done on the hen Keith, 👍🏻. The forecast isn't very good for us down here in Devon for the rest of the week, how's Ireland looking?.
Kind regards Chris
Hi Chris,its bucketing it down here today and set to get cold over the weekend, hopefully get out again tomorrow morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
Hi Keith

What exactly are you using as a tail guard? Is it as simple as hair clips or am I missing something? Atb
Hello Tony,
Its just a simple spring hair clip, it holds all the tail feathers together because Barrabas mantles like a T W A T !!!!
If i left him without it his tail would be a mess, i only put it on him on kills the rest of the while he is fine, they are cheap and do the same job as a tailguard.
Keith
Old 06-12-2017, 08:10 PM
Brancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Barker View Post
Hi Chris,its bucketing it down here today and set to get cold over the weekend, hopefully get out again tomorrow morning.

Hello Tony,
Its just a simple spring hair clip, it holds all the tail feathers together because Barrabas mantles like a T W A T !!!!
If i left him without it his tail would be a mess, i only put it on him on kills the rest of the while he is fine, they are cheap and do the same job as a tailguard.
Keith
Yeah I thought it was a hair clip. I'm just not familiar with the different styles of hair clips

Cheers...
Old 07-12-2017, 02:17 PM
Haggard

Hawking winter game with Barrabas this morning, he had three slips over my english pointer, first two were cocks, strong flyers and long track downs resulting in just excersize! third slip was a hen that flushed unseen but the hawk and i heard the flush so off he went, he caught this one so i fed him the head and neck of the pheasant and half a woodpigeon, next outing Saturday morning, its getting cold now, looking forward to winter.

https://youtu.be/JBWs4Btt8N4

Keith
Old 07-12-2017, 11:38 PM
Passage

Well done on the he bird Keith, looks like winter is coming with a vengeance this weekend. Snow forecast for north Devon this weekend. Bit of cold weather should make them keen!!:
Kind regards Chris
Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM
Haggard

Yesterday Barrabas killed a cock pheasant, he had not killed a bird for over a week since last thursday when he flew two cocks and killed a hen, the following saturday i took him out, slipped him and he flew like a butterfly, no power at all, the weather was really cold, i thought he needed weight on as he had no energy so i fed him up immediately with half a woodpigeon and a pheasant leg, the following morning i gave him a full weaner rat then the following day 2 oz heavier i flew him, again weak as a kitten.
I gave him a Harkers 4 in 1 tablet maintaining his weight throughout the week with daily feed of pigeon, thursday i gave him another Harkers.
Yesterday i flew him , he had three slips in a gusting northery cold wind catching a good strong cock bird on the put in, i think he has made a recovery with the way he flew, nice and strong.
I think he either has took a kicking a week ago from one of the roosters or he had a dose of internal parasites.
Keith
Https://youtu.be/QLm7qUGizH4
Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM
Brancher

Shwmae Keith good catch that and a neat piece of filming, well done. I tried filming with a SLR the last time i went out between the camera and the GPS it done my head in and probably cost me a kill. Head cam the way to go by the looks of it , and it doesn't take anything away from the day . Tony