Falconry Forum (IFF)

Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > EQUIPMENT & HOUSING > Bells & Leather Equipment

Old 25-06-2014, 10:13 AM
Chick

Default Making My Own Leather items - Templates Needed

Hi Guys, I want to learn more about making my own Anklets and jesses

I got some leather from Ashley Clarke, cutting blades, punch ect ect and am ready to start.

Now before i start, i am quite aware every bird has different size legs, I am not going to assume that one Anklet that i cut for a male gos, will fit every male gos, its better to try them on the bird as i go, but i need to start somewhere!

I know your templates might not fit my bird, but i need to learn to get the shape correct, before i can put them around by bird, as the ones i made are lets say C**P!

If anyone uses templates, would you post them up so i can see what shape is best, and learn the best way to cut them in the correct shape

Also any tips would be very helpful, like pens metal ruler ect ect

This is not just for my bird, i think others might benefit from this, so please say what your template is for Male / Female Harris Gos ect ect
Old 25-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Clive Stancer
Passage

Default Re: Making My Own Leather items - Templates Needed

Good for you for having a go, many people just buy them off the shelf.

A couple of suggestions, Buy a set from a supplier you like the look of their equipment and then make a template from stiff card or have a look at the templates available on ebay.

Eventually you can then customise your equipment to suit your own needs eg longer flying jess or shorter mews jesses so a falcon won’t straddle a block.

When you have a winning formula make a few sets then soak them in neatsfoot oil which will protect the leather and make it more supple.

When you need to use the remove them dry them off and seal the neatfoot in using jess grease or "KO-CHO-LINE". Grease.

I hope this info helps

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Falconry-A...item3f3886381e

Ko-Cho-Line Leather Dressing: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors Ko-Cho-Line Leather Dressing: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

ATB
Clive
Old 25-06-2014, 11:13 AM
Dale
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokie21 View Post
Hi Guys, I want to learn more about making my own Anklets and jesses

I got some leather from Ashley Clarke, cutting blades, punch ect ect and am ready to start.

Now before i start, i am quite aware every bird has different size legs, I am not going to assume that one Anklet that i cut for a male gos, will fit every male gos, its better to try them on the bird as i go, but i need to start somewhere!

I know your templates might not fit my bird, but i need to learn to get the shape correct, before i can put them around by bird, as the ones i made are lets say C**P!

If anyone uses templates, would you post them up so i can see what shape is best, and learn the best way to cut them in the correct shape

Also any tips would be very helpful, like pens metal ruler ect ect

This is not just for my bird, i think others might benefit from this, so please say what your template is for Male / Female Harris Gos ect ect
Pm me your address and I'll make you up some templates and send you them , there is no real rite or wrong way to make anklets it's personal prefrence , me I personally like a nice wide anklet that tapers in size towards the eyelet with good feathered edges especially on young birds that may have a tendencie to bate away from you in early training gives more support across the leg , the tapered anklet also keeps the weight of the leash and equipment off the back toe especially if bird is on a high perch and has the weight of yeh ring also hanging.

Atb dale
Old 25-06-2014, 11:47 AM
Sam
Brancher

With regards to anklets I have used closed ring size information as a reference and adjusted to suit the bird, for example.

Http://www.id-rings.eu/breeders_ring...gs_europe.html

Just looked at my diary and anklets for my FHH are 94mm x 28mm using a 24/ 3/8" eyelet.

Hope this helps.
Old 25-06-2014, 12:15 PM
Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloeHawk View Post
Good for you for having a go, many people just buy them off the shelf.

A couple of suggestions, Buy a set from a supplier you like the look of their equipment and then make a template from stiff card or have a look at the templates available on ebay.

Eventually you can then customise your equipment to suit your own needs eg longer flying jess or shorter mews jesses so a falcon won’t straddle a block.

When you have a winning formula make a few sets then soak them in neatsfoot oil which will protect the leather and make it more supple.

When you need to use the remove them dry them off and seal the neatfoot in using jess grease or "KO-CHO-LINE". Grease.

I hope this info helps

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Falconry-A...item3f3886381e

Ko-Cho-Line Leather Dressing: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

ATB
Clive

That is spot on, thats just the sort of thing i was looking for very helpfull post, i have neatfoot already but did not know about KO-CHO-LINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojanMews View Post
Pm me your address and I'll make you up some templates and send you them , there is no real rite or wrong way to make anklets it's personal prefrence , me I personally like a nice wide anklet that tapers in size towards the eyelet with good feathered edges especially on young birds that may have a tendencie to bate away from you in early training gives more support across the leg , the tapered anklet also keeps the weight of the leash and equipment off the back toe especially if bird is on a high perch and has the weight of yeh ring also hanging.

Atb dale

Dale, What can i say.... Thank You is a good start! I can not PM so will drop you an email

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaner View Post
With regards to anklets I have used closed ring size information as a reference and adjusted to suit the bird, for example.

http://www.id-rings.eu/breeders_ring...gs_europe.html

Just looked at my diary and anklets for my FHH are 94mm x 28mm using a 24/ 3/8" eyelet.

Hope this helps.

Beaner, thats great Thanks
Old 25-06-2014, 12:29 PM
Mark Stone
Brancher

Default Making My Own Leather items - Templates Needed

Here's what I use for male and female hh/goss etc made up with some old spoo metal from work..

Male ones are 75 x 25 mm and female are 85 x 30 mm.. After I've cut them I just trim off the corners with the eyelet poked through and add the slits. It's easy,can't believe how many of these I've made for others that can't/won't make there own. 😁££££'s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25-06-2014, 12:36 PM
Chick

Thats it mark, nice simple idea

Do you cut little slots in the top and bottom so they look like this

Or do you leave them solid?
Old 25-06-2014, 12:53 PM
Mark Stone
Brancher

I just do the bottom at about 5 mm spacing stokie but some do both sides - each to there own really.

Old 25-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone42 View Post
I just do the bottom at about 5 mm spacing stokie but some do both sides - each to there own really.

Great stuff thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojanMews View Post
Pm me your address and I'll make you up some templates and send you them
Atb dale

Thanks Again Dale, Just sent you a text with my address. If you would like me to cover any costs please let me know happy to do that

Templates I am interested in are Male and Female Gos and Harris

Thanks Again
Old 25-06-2014, 01:21 PM
Dale
Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokie21 View Post
Great stuff thanks

Thanks Again Dale, Just sent you a text with my address. If you would like me to cover any costs please let me know happy to do that

Templates I am interested in are Male and Female Gos and Harris

Thanks Again
No worries I'll get them sorted for you