Falconry Forum (IFF)


Go Back   Falconry Forum (IFF) > EQUIPMENT & HOUSING > Telemetry & other Tracking Equipment

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Kilham Kilham is offline
Egg
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Borders
Posts: 45
Default Re: Making your own Telemetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoHo View Post
I have heard of someone that made his own ferret finder transmitters and using a pocket FM radio to track them. Is this possible? Very low power of course.

Johann
Yes and you could build them without the crystal as frequency stability wouldn't be as important over such a range. Illegal of course but probably no worse than using 216.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Bellmaker's Avatar
Bellmaker Bellmaker is offline
Egg
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 24
Default Re: Making your own Telemetry

Cool, so i am not the only one to try this, i will dig out the makes of the crystals that will make to order any frequencies, and you can stipulate case type.

As a bell maker, i have a full workshop with lathes and mills etc, so the case are not a problem, i may even sell kits, if theres enough interest.

As for ferrets and FM radio etc, this link may help: http://www.jbgizmo.com/

PS: As a side note, i do not think the " ferrets and FM radio" would be illegal anymore. has now you can use it, if low powered, in the last year its been made legal, see here: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2006/11/nr_20061123b
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Rabadswompe's Avatar
Rabadswompe Rabadswompe is offline
Yann Brahic
Passage
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: St-Sauveur, Quebec
Posts: 1,431
Default Re: Making your own Telemetry

For here, in Canada, 216 is the freq of choice(well... the most commonly used anyway)! so no problem there
__________________
Yann Brahic
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-04-2008, 05:01 AM
Jack's Avatar
Jack Jack is offline
Passage
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,717
Default Re: Making your own Telemetry

I made my own reciever. I used 2 different makes of scanner radio. I made my own yagi for the 216 Mhz transmitters I bought. I don't know how to make a transmitter. I made the yagi using pvc and 1 inch metal measuring tape. I can shove it down into a rubber boot to ride in the back of the truck, and when I jerk it out the elements just pop right back out. It is very sensitive and directional. The scanners can pick up any frquency that is ever used on any transmitter, but in order to track them you would really need the correct yagi for it. I have even made a pocket model similar to the Tracker. Plain piece of wood and 2 elements made of the measuring tape. It fits into my coat pocket and is highly directional, although the range is fairly short. Like maybe 4 miles. I guess I might have a few over $100 in them.
Researchers here use 152 and 153 for tracking certain small game birds during migration, and I have tracked a few of them. I would take them if I found the bird dead. So far, they have all been alive.

Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SUNP0003.JPG (30.2 KB, 1147 views)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-04-2008, 05:49 AM
Leo 1's Avatar
Leo 1 Leo 1 is offline
Chris Schofield
Haggard
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: willow cottidge
Posts: 16,755
Default Re: Making your own Telemetry

Dont supose we can see pics of it can wee the working/surcit bord i am verry intrested in this
__________________
EVIL.DEAD MCC PRESIDENT. And founder
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Rabadswompe's Avatar
Rabadswompe Rabadswompe is offline
Yann Brahic
Passage
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: St-Sauveur, Quebec
Posts: 1,431
Default Re: Making your own Telemetry

Jack, this is a super homebrew project!!!!!

If you have the time, could you write down the parts one would need and the proceidure to make taht 216 yagi and receiver????? I can guess some from the pic in the post... but A list to take to the hardware store would be great

I'm not very versed in circuitry and electronics, but as I have said, I can follow plain english directions good enough!

This thread is great as it prooves that, indeed, one CAN make all he (or she) needs with reguards to falconry furniture!!!! Cool!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I made my own reciever. I used 2 different makes of scanner radio. I made my own yagi for the 216 Mhz transmitters I bought. I don't know how to make a transmitter. I made the yagi using pvc and 1 inch metal measuring tape. I can shove it down into a rubber boot to ride in the back of the truck, and when I jerk it out the elements just pop right back out. It is very sensitive and directional. The scanners can pick up any frquency that is ever used on any transmitter, but in order to track them you would really need the correct yagi for it. I have even made a pocket model similar to the Tracker. Plain piece of wood and 2 elements made of the measuring tape. It fits into my coat pocket and is highly directional, although the range is fairly short. Like maybe 4 miles. I guess I might have a few over $100 in them.
Researchers here use 152 and 153 for tracking certain small game birds during migration, and I have tracked a few of them. I would take them if I found the bird dead. So far, they have all been alive.

Jack
__________________
Yann Brahic
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Altai Altai is offline
David Wayne
Passage
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: midlands, uk
Posts: 772
Default Re: Making your own Telemetry

Has anyone read the book on telemetry by Robert Kenwood? It has got everything in it that you would need to build your own: plans, diagrams, supliers lists, and instructions.
I posted info. about it before but I think it was removed!!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Rabadswompe's Avatar
Rabadswompe Rabadswompe is offline
Yann Brahic
Passage
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: St-Sauveur, Quebec
Posts: 1,431
Default Re: Making your own Telemetry

Please post it again Altai!
__________________
Yann Brahic
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Bellmaker's Avatar
Bellmaker Bellmaker is offline
Egg
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 24
Default Re: Making your own Telemetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altai View Post
Has anyone read the book on telemetry by Robert Kenwood? It has got everything in it that you would need to build your own: plans, diagrams, supliers lists, and instructions.
I posted info. about it before but I think it was removed!!
That may of been the book i read, you can get it from the library, if you order it.

When i made my transmitter's, i did not use a PCB, but soldered the component together using the crystal's case, than encased them in "ARALDITE" glue.
Here are some links that may help :

http://jeb.biologists.org/cgi/conten...io;208/21/4063
http://www.nbb.cornell.edu/neurobio/...ECTS/TRANSMIT/
PDF with info in:
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...&context=vpc14

I think i got my crystal's from here: http://www.euroquartz.co.uk/

The next time i am making a transmitter, i will take stage by stage photos to show how its done and post them here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Sample.jpeg (33.6 KB, 1119 views)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Rabadswompe's Avatar
Rabadswompe Rabadswompe is offline
Yann Brahic
Passage
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: St-Sauveur, Quebec
Posts: 1,431
Default Re: Making your own Telemetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellmaker View Post
That may of been the book i read, you can get it from the library, if you order it.

When i made my transmitter's, i did not use a PCB, but soldered the component together using the crystal's case, than encased them in "ARALDITE" glue.
Here are some links that may help :

http://jeb.biologists.org/cgi/conten...io;208/21/4063
http://www.nbb.cornell.edu/neurobio/...ECTS/TRANSMIT/
PDF with info in:
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...&context=vpc14

I think i got my crystal's from here: http://www.euroquartz.co.uk/

The next time i am making a transmitter, i will take stage by stage photos to show how its done and post them here.
Looking forward to it!!!!
__________________
Yann Brahic
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
falconry, making, telemetry, tracking

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.